How many of yoi have dogs?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of yoi have dogs?

I all I am thinking to get a puppy. Obviously there are a lot of things I need to consider but my question for now is how many of you childminders currently and in the past have a dog/puppy? Thanks x

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a dog for many years, from before I started minding in 2001, unfortunately he died in Aug 2013 and we said we would never have another we lasted about a year and phoned our local dog rescue and got a gorgeous 8 year old cocker spaniel and very quickly decided we wanted another cocker - however we ended up fostering an 18m whippet over Christmas and he is not leaving. However I seem to be addicted to cocker spaniels now and even DH has agreed to get another in the not too distant future - all my dogs have been rescues, Parker was a puppy.

You will need to write a pet policy for CSSIW. Mine talks about how children are never left alone, that their food and any medications are stored away from children, that their food and water bowls are out but children are taught not to touch, treated for fleas monthly, treated for worms every 3 months, vaccinated and checked at the vets at least yearly. Poos picked up asap. My garden has been divided and the dogs have one bit and the children have another. You will also need to change your Statement of Purpose and send it to CSSIW asap.

With a puppy or unhousetrained dog (like my whippet when he arrived) you need to think about how you will deal with accidents (very like potty training) and training whilst working. Crate training a puppy is a good idea as they can get away from the children and is a secure place for them when you open the door. Puppies and young dogs can also chew, first day the whippet chewed the strap off a mindees new trainers and has got the strap of a LOs bag so I now put everything out of his reach, behind the stairgate of behind a closed door. My old dog had chewed the handle of my hairbrush and this one has chewed it even more! He has been given an old pair of DHs slippers to chew. I would speak to parents beforehand so it isn't a shock. I was lucky all but one parent had at least one dog of their own or had been with me when Parker was alive and were very supportive. Several parents have wanted to leave with the dogs.

My old dog Parker was a whippetXlabrador we think 1st pic - 2nd pic Podge, the cocker spaniel and Stanley, the whippet

282619_424113240944948_565696831_n.jpg Podge and Stanley.jpg
    Last edited by tulip0803; 28-03-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three but I keep them out of the way to minded children as much as I love my dogs. I don't trust animals around children and feel I could not honestly say I would see ever tail pull so can't take the risk a child might do something to them and get bit back. I don't even let my ds in a room alone with them. They are also working dogs though so it is a little different. The only time mindies see them is when the dogs file past when we want to go into the kitchen (where they live during the day). Honestly though my dogs are so used to the kitchen that even if you leave the door open they won't go into the rest of the house as the kitchen is their home. The dogs do come on walks with mindies in summer when it's noce to walk them but I also fine dog walking is my quiet time after they have gone so I don't really like doing it with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses and fab tips on what to write in my pet policy.
    It's not set in stone yet that we are to get one and might be in a few months or even next year but it is something we as a family are considering and I think it would be nice.
    I when the time comes will talk it over with the parents but not until we are sure we want to get one. I'm just researching at the moment ;p. My husband is worried it could take business away from me.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I re-registered as a childminder 10 years ago we had a big softie of a collie, we then got a bassett x springer, when the collie past away we got a patterdale terrier. All rescued dogs, the collie was about 6 years old the other 2 weren't house trained although they were 6 months old.

All my dogs are used to staying in the kitchen when I am working as clareelizabeth says I can pop in and out of the kitchen and leave the gate open for a minute and the dogs just stay in their baskets (unless it's lunch time and they can see food dropped on the floor).

I sometimes meet up with another childminder with her children and dog, we get funny looks with 6 children and 3 dogs between us. All children know that when we are out for walks that they can't pick up sticks as my bassett x springer (called Hector - hence Hector's House) will try to snatch the sticks and may nip their fingers by mistake.

I haven't ever been inspected by food standards so not sure how they would feel about the dogs being in the kitchen while I prepare meals (but my friend runs a B & B and has dogs in her kitchen), my dogs have water bowl in kitchen at all times but are fed morning and evening in the utility room. I wash their bedding each week and make sure I wash kitchen floor daily, children don't have access to kitchen so I have a stair gate to keep dogs in and children out. I have in my health and safety policy the things others have mentioned above about worming, flea treatments, cleaning up garden (although my dogs go out for 2 good walks a day, they are just let out in garden at 10 pm before bed they rarely poo in garden), I also have in my policy that when children are in car the dogs will always travel in the boot.

I have found it encourages the sorts of people I want to attract ie: people who want their children to be out enjoying the countryside, getting fresh air and exercise and don't care if kids get muddy.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have only once had one person say they did not want to come and see me - I tell parents on the phone when they first enquire. I have had more people choose me because of the pets - DS had rats at one point and they got me a little girl once as the parents kept them too. I registered in 2001

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi we have 1 dog and it hasn't put anyone off. There are some great tips written above. I would just like to add about taking your time to pick one but I understand you are researching. Make sure you don't accidently buy from a 'puppy farm' It is easily done as they are oftan sold from people's homes but have actually come from elsewhere. Make sure you see pup and mum together, if parents have a good temperament then hopefully pup will too. Then go to training classes to teach your dog to be obedient. In fact it is oftan us that need the training as we give our dogs the wrong messages without realising. You won't regret spending the time needed when you have a well behaved dog. Then finally enjoy your new addition to the family. A warning though, they stop you getting on with a lot of things you should be doing by just looking at you with those eyes and making you fuss them

Dec 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a large dog but have had no problems filling spaces, I agree with Hectors House, most of my parents chose me because of the general outdoorsy package that I offer and the dog is a big part of that. I clearly advertise that I have a dog therefore if people mind they wont come and visit.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had dogs all my life. I had a very old, laid back gentleman when I first registered. He was huge but so laid back, nothing bothered him. When he died we got a puppy Springer Spaniel, he was only 2 when he died of cancer, now we have a Boxerdor, I've had him since he was 8 weeks old, he is now just turned 1. He is the most friendly dog I have ever known but he is still a handful and very very bouncy and very useful with his paws (that's the Boxer side of him) so the LO's only have access to him either through the stairgate on my kitchen or when they come into the kitchen with me. He lives in the kitchen when I am working. Having a puppy whilst childminding is hard work so be warned.
    I have it in all my advertising that I have a dog so I guess that if anyone doesn't like the idea they won't even call me. I have always been full so I don't think it has negatively affected my business. Only 1 of my families has their own dog, the others like the fact that their child / children get to see/play with a dog without them having one. I have even had a LO who was terrified of dogs. Not for long though once she realised how gentle and fun dogs can be.
    xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all I really appreciate all your comments and advice.
    It such an exciting thing.
    One more question tho please how would I approach this to the parents? How would I say I them about me getting one? Obviously I don't need their permission to have one but for them to be comfortable letting their children be around one.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ja-lula-belli View Post
    Thanks all I really appreciate all your comments and advice.
    It such an exciting thing.
    One more question tho please how would I approach this to the parents? How would I say I them about me getting one? Obviously I don't need their permission to have one but for them to be comfortable letting their children be around one.
    Do a RA. Explain in it how you will keep the children (and the dog) safe around each other. Explain how you are planning to keep them separate. Detail things like keeping the worming / fleaing up to date, how you will deal with the dogs mess in the garden - will you separate your garden? Then once you have done all that give a copy to parents when you tell them you are getting a dog. Ask them to read it and come back to you if they have any questions. Whatever you do though don't ASK for permission. It is your home and your family life and you do not need to ASK permission. I'm sure once your parents meet your new addition they will fall in love.

xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Do a RA. Explain in it how you will keep the children (and the dog) safe around each other. Explain how you are planning to keep them separate. Detail things like keeping the worming / fleaing up to date, how you will deal with the dogs mess in the garden - will you separate your garden? Then once you have done all that give a copy to parents when you tell them you are getting a dog. Ask them to read it and come back to you if they have any questions. Whatever you do though don't ASK for permission. It is your home and your family life and you do not need to ASK permission. I'm sure once your parents meet your new addition they will fall in love. xxx

Yes thank you brill way of doing it. I was unsure how to approach it because as you said it's not their choice it's mine and my family's decision. So yes this is exactly the approach I am going to take. X x x x

13. Likes AliceK liked this post