question regarding jacket.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default question regarding jacket.

I always make sure that my daughter fastens the zip and velcro on her jacket when its unpleasant but some people think that I should let her learn from natural consequences instead of having battles with her.

She has to fasten it at School though because teacher asks her to because they don't want her getting cold (she suffers from cold).

So, am I right to want it fastened?

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How old is she? To me it depends on the age.

I ask all my under 8's to fasten their coats when its cold but when they are older I advise them to and they decide. I feel they are old enough to make a decision as to whether they want it fastening.

Although if they don't want it fastening then I kind of say 'well, you'll be cold' If they still don't want it fastening then they leave it open...until they get cold and then they fasten it up themselves...lol

All the under school age children have their coats fastened whether they like it or not.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

3. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I too think it depends on the child's age and understanding.

Btw, are members avoiding this thread for fear of 'Zippergate 2' ("Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the cloakroom.................")

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Btw, are members avoiding this thread for fear of 'Zippergate 2' ("Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the cloakroom.................")
    As soon as I read this thread I had a strange feeling of deja vu!

I agree with other posters. It depends on the age of the child.

6. Likes Maza, ziggy, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha Bunyip :-D. Yes I agree that it depends on age. My own son is nearly 9 and he decides whether or not to fasten his coat, put a hat and gloves on. All my LOs (under 8s) do as I ask them.

8. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My children do not have a choice I'm afraid. My own are 10 and 7. They have to wear their coat and it has to be done up. They can decide if they want to wear their gloves, hats etc but there is no choice on the coat in this weather. I hate seeing children in the playground running around with no coats on in this weather just because it might not be "cool" to wear a coat.
    As for my mindees, they all have their coats on and done up and hats on. No exceptions.

xxx

10. Likes Rarara liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that Bunyip!

Depends on the age of the child. Also, just check that the coat is 'comfortable' when done up. My DD and nephew both had a coat which zipped up to the chin and caused chaffing. No wonder they never wanted it fastened. x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that Bunyip!

Depends on the age of the child. Also, just check that the coat is 'comfortable' when done up. My DD and nephew both had a coat which zipped up to the chin and caused chaffing. No wonder they never wanted it fastened. x
    ooh, I hate coats done right up to the chin. Most don't have a protector up the top so the hard cold zip is against the chin, no, no ,no. I don't do mine right up to the top and I don't do the childrens right up either.

xxxx

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    ooh, I hate coats done right up to the chin.
    I just hate coats! I rarely wear one and even if I do it's never done up. I probably don't set a very good example

15. Likes Maza, ziggy liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I just hate coats! I rarely wear one and even if I do it's never done up. I probably don't set a very good example
    How does that work then?? How do you keep warm and dry?
    I am freezing today, I have a t-shirt, jumper, cardigan and my shawl on and I am still cold. Mind you I have also got a stinking cold which isn't helping me today.

xxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How does that work then?? How do you keep warm and dry?
    I am freezing today, I have a t-shirt, jumper, cardigan and my shawl on and I am still cold. Mind you I have also got a stinking cold which isn't helping me today.

xxxx
    Lots of layers, including thermal undies if it's really cold, and a big cardigan. I'll wear a scarf & gloves, even without a coat, but I don't think I really feel the cold most of the time.
    If it's raining I'll take an umbrella or get wet!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of layers, including thermal undies if it's really cold, and a big cardigan. I'll wear a scarf & gloves, even without a coat, but I don't think I really feel the cold most of the time.
    If it's raining I'll take an umbrella or get wet!
    ooh you're tough and very brave and I'm a wuss lol

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh you're tough and very brave and I'm a wuss lol

xxx
    Just daft I think

I hate the feeling of a coat & find them too restrictive. I do have one for when the weather is really bad, but more often that not it's in the boot of the car!

20. Likes ziggy liked this post
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

as mentioned last time this was brought up.................I used to insist my daughter always wore a coat, then realised she was over heating and making her eczema very itchy. I would zip up coats of pre-school children but i think school aged children are old enough to know if they are hot or cold. Also if they are running about they probably dont feel as cold as when they are just standing in playground etc.

Last Friday we went to Jo Jingles and came home just in fleeces (in car), as i prepared lunch children decided to play in garden and I was bit concerned they would get cold but they were running about quite happily in fresh air.

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same, I hardly ever have my coat on. I hate driving with my coat on top so that's another reason I don't wear one!

Post Thanks / Like

I think depending on age children can make their own minds up as to if they are hot or cold! - as long as they go out with it on I dont see a problem they have it if they need it! and will soon learn by getting cold!

I also have Eczema so as a child found coats or fleeces esp very irritating on my inner elbows where it was so used to not wear a coat or roll my sleeves up in winter.
    and lets face it some kids probably dont feel the cold as much as others - same with adults! oh and if they are running about they definitely wont!