Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

And another thing........................ (let me tell you............ )

Having just had a run-in with the TV Licencing people, why do we have to suffer cr4p TV on the one weekday night of the year when we:-
    • a. Don't have to get up the next morning, and...
    • b. Wouldn't dare go out either, so there's nothing to do but see what's on telly.

?

The Radio Times offers a string of bekilted faux Scots (unfortunately lacking subtitles) at the end of a year in which the entire output of the BBC newsroom has had me struggling to translate an alternating sequence of Scots politicians (each desperate to sound more Scottish than the next) interspersed with Northern Irish news presenters whose accents are gradually taking on a strange Mancunian-English twist, having been forced to reside in the new Salford offices. I'm not prejudiced, but just wish they'd speak more slowly, as I'm just not capable of listening that quickly.

To cap it all, the 'highlight' appears to be the ubiquitous Jools Holland. A man who always illicits the thought "isn't he dead yet?" I mean what can you think of a man incable of spelling his own first name correctly, and whose second name somes up his musical style: rather flat and boring. The guy's irritating voice is so nasal that, if you look closely, you notice that his lips don't move whilst speaking - but his nostrils open and close in time with the words.

2. Likes FloraDora, Ripeberry, Dragonfly liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Everyone else calls it "moaning".

I like to think of it as an alternative form of reflective practice.

I'm campaigning to have "miserable old g1t" recognised as a protected category within the Equality Act. Anyone wanna join.....?
    I would love to join please ;-)

4. Likes bunyip liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Everyone else calls it "moaning".

I like to think of it as an alternative form of reflective practice.

I'm campaigning to have "miserable old g1t" recognised as a protected category within the Equality Act. Anyone wanna join.....?
    Its the old I have issues with
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, sorry. No now I come to think of it it is the no washing thing on NYD not today. I got all my washing done yesterday as well thinking I couldn't do it today. And No, I don't think you can choose who you wash out of your life lol.

xxx

8. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And another thing........................ (let me tell you............ :mad

To cap it all, the 'highlight' appears to be the ubiquitous Jools Holland. A man who always illicits the thought "isn't he dead yet?" I mean what can you think of a man incable of spelling his own first name correctly, and whose second name somes up his musical style: rather flat and boring. The guy's irritating voice is so nasal that, if you look closely, you notice that his lips don't move whilst speaking - but his nostrils open and close in time with the words.

I love Jools Holland - the Boogie King!

( plus he promoted my son's band once after listening to them, not officially, just his opinion which gave the band a big boost - his musical opinion still goes a long way in the music world )

And he is younger than me!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

( plus he promoted my son's band once after listening to them, not officially, just his opinion which gave the band a big boost - his musical opinion still goes a long way in the music world )

Wow!!!!

That is high praise
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So all nice and clean, 2014 dirt washed away, glad the whole wash thing has been sorted, was a bit concerned as I scrubbed which friends would go this year!
    Sitting with a sherry and 2015 seed catalogues, waiting for sunset as really glisteny here and think sun going down on branches glistening might make a decent Christmas card next year. So bracing myself for the cold walk to get them - perhaps I should have had a brandy!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness the washing clothes thing is sorted - just discovered that the load I did yesterday is still sitting in the washer! Wasn't keen on leaving it in there until the 2nd (just to cover NYE and NYD). I can get it done now, yippee!

Jools Holland - Hubby and I just don't 'get' him and can't understand why many of our friends love the show so much on NYE. To be fair, neither of us have given his show more than a couple of minutes as it just doesn't seem festive enough. Ignorant of us, I know.

Hope you get a good photo FloraDora - the sunsets are just stunning at the moment aren't they?

13. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Thank goodness the washing clothes thing is sorted - just discovered that the load I did yesterday is still sitting in the washer! Wasn't keen on leaving it in there until the 2nd (just to cover NYE and NYD). I can get it done now, yippee!

Jools Holland - Hubby and I just don't 'get' him and can't understand why many of our friends love the show so much on NYE. To be fair, neither of us have given his show more than a couple of minutes as it just doesn't seem festive enough. Ignorant of us, I know.

Hope you get a good photo FloraDora - the sunsets are just stunning at the moment aren't they?
    What you see on NYE is mainly him 'hosting' - and different bands as he is quite eclectic in his choices. Jools himself plays wonderful boogie/ jazz/ blues music, often accompanied by Ruby Turner and his jazz band - wonderful sound, especially live. But I get that his NewYear show doesn't suit everyone's taste.

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Not going out. But having a nice meal at home ' Duck Cassoulet', with plenty of glasses of wine. Then watching two or three bond films back to back and only watching TV when the fireworks start.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

17. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What you see on NYE is mainly him 'hosting' - and different bands as he is quite eclectic in his choices. Jools himself plays wonderful boogie/ jazz/ blues music, often accompanied by Ruby Turner and his jazz band - wonderful sound, especially live. But I get that his NewYear show doesn't suit everyone's taste.
    My friend went to see him earlier in the year and said he was amazing

19. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Family has been and gone, young children so taken them off to bed. We are waiting for midnight to comfort poor dog who is terrified of fireworks. Around hear it seems to be a competition who can set off the loudest. TV is rubbish thank goodness for Netflix.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We went to the cinema, got a takeaway curry on the way home n saw the new year in with my dd2 n her boyfriend. Watched jools for a while then the fireworks on the other side.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, go on.............. I'll forgive him if he helped your son.

But only cos it's Christmas.

23. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    We went to the cinema, got a takeaway curry on the way home n saw the new year in with my dd2 n her boyfriend. Watched jools for a while then the fireworks on the other side.
    Ooooh, what did you watch at the cinema?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Seen jools Holland live, he was very good but smaller than I thought😀 some reason thought he'd be tall. Good job this didn't effect his music😀

26. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 - So, what are you doing tonight?

I love looking back at old posts! Will you be spending NYE in a similar way to how you spent it in 2014/2015 (when this post started), or will you be doing something totally different?

It will just be the three of us and we'll have a little buffet and loud music (we can have LOUD music now in our new house!). Again, we will possibly put Jools Holland on for 5 minutes to see if we can get into it this year and then no doubt we'll decide that we still don't get him.

We're watching Gavin and Stacey from the beginning - a couple of episodes each evening. We didn't watch it first time round but we're loving it now. DD will probably want to stay up tonight though and so we can't watch it in front of her, so we'll probably watch a family movie instead.

Have fun everyone. x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes in exactly the same way dh is working today and tomorrow so at the minute we are playing crash team racing. I am seriously bad at it. Board games dvd and a buffet for later.

Have a good night everyone however you are celebrating.
    Maza enjoy seeing the new year in your new house.

29. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy New Year!

We thought about taking the camper away, but we now have an older van, with only room for DH and I ... and it's too cold for DS & DD to stay in their tents!

.... so it's a lazy night in, watching tv and eating yet more rubbish!

31. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We're having a quiet night in and I'm actually looking forward to it. We seem to have been so busy since the day before Christmas Eve and this is the first time we've really been able to sit and relax.
    As our children are all grown up, they're off out doing their own things. DH and I will have something nice to eat and find something good to watch on TV. I will attempt to stay awake until midnight, but there are no guarantees!

I hope everyone has a lovely night, whatever you're doing.

Happy New Year to you all xx

33. Likes Maza liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast