Childminding day
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding day

Good morning,

I have just became a registered childminder and I'm so excited to start my new venture. I have 1 child of my own but can't wait to have loads of fun with her and her new wee pals. I'm advertising for children now and just trying to get set up. I have sorted out a playroom in my house so I think it's going to be great.
    Just wondered do you guys have plans for your days ahead or do you just do what happens on the day. I have loads of play ideas but trying to sort out what to do on a daily basis is tricky. Whàt do you guys do in a typical day with your children?

Many thanks 😊

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome

I very much run with the children's interests at that time. Every day is different as I never have the same children on any set day as all my parents are shift workers. You wont be able to plan too much at the moment until you know which children you are going to be caring for, their ages etc. I am very much child led and organise my days and resources based on which children are going to be in and what their current interests are. Usually I can cover most areas of learning with any given resources. Apart from school and nursery runs which have to happen every day at a certain time the rest of the time things change according to what a particular child wants to do and what is holding their interest on that day.

Good luck with it all

xxx

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got lots of info about what we do on my website - Sharon Chatfield's Childminding - Childminder in Deal, Kent

I follow this mostly but can change at a moments notice depending on the weather, what children I have, what the children want to do, how children are eg tired etc, what others I meet with regularly are doing or even very very occasionally if I can be bothered .

At home we tend to do mostly free play but there are always planned opportunities set up like messy play, strategically placed puzzles & books, mark making, themed play set ups etc.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only things that are set in stone for me on a day to day basis is:
    Pre 8am - Breakfast
    8.30 - School run
    10/10.30 Nap time
    12.30 - Lunch
    13.00 - Nap time/quiet time
    2.45 - School run
    4.30 - Tea time

Beyond all this I try and fit in:
    A group if on that day
    Story time
    An activity
    Outside play

Some days we do well, others not so well

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto my day is very similar to kiddlywinks! As others have said when you know the ages of the children you will have you can organise your day round them and their needs :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    I've got lots of info about what we do on my website - Sharon Chatfield's Childminding - Childminder in Deal, Kent I follow this mostly but can change at a moments notice depending on the weather, what children I have, what the children want to do, how children are eg tired etc, what others I meet with regularly are doing or even very very occasionally if I can be bothered . At home we tend to do mostly free play but there are always planned opportunities set up like messy play, strategically placed puzzles & books, mark making, themed play set ups etc.
    Sorry just noticed this reply. Thank you x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Good advice on here. I would also suggest you go out and try to meet other cm's in your area. Start at toddler groups, sure start centres etc. It can be a lonely job. It is good for the lo's to meet other children in a larger setting and you will need the support, especially if you are having a bad morning, it is good to use someone in the same profession as a sounding board. You only need one or two good cm friends to keep you sane.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    I've got lots of info about what we do on my website - Sharon Chatfield's Childminding - Childminder in Deal, Kent

I follow this mostly but can change at a moments notice depending on the weather, what children I have, what the children want to do, how children are eg tired etc, what others I meet with regularly are doing or even very very occasionally if I can be bothered .

At home we tend to do mostly free play but there are always planned opportunities set up like messy play, strategically placed puzzles & books, mark making, themed play set ups etc.
    Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to read. I wouldn't mind going to her house for breakfast every morning. Mine get toast.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome!

So much depends on what children you have and how many. I have had some who need a nap at 10am and that was fine because my daughter napped then too and so I planned meal times/activities/outings around that. Gradually they moved to 1pm naps and so the routine evolved again. If there are any wonderful play groups/story library sessions etc near you then you might want to build them into your routine - but don't feel the need to go to playgroups if they are not that great near you. It also depends on when your children go home, half days, full days etc.

I used to do a cooking/baking activity one day, a sensory play activity the next day and a big art/craft activity the third day. I really enjoyed doing it that way but there was a lot of clean up involved each day and so I don't do that any more. We might do none of those type of activities in a week, or if there is a festival that we are celebrating we might do baking 2 or 3 times a week, or painting every day etc. Sometimes these activities will take place in the morning if the weather is a bit naff or if we have an outing planned for the afternoon, or sometimes they will take place in the afternoon - you just fall into your own routine, that's the beauty of being self employed! Intertwined into all of this would be outdoor activities, stories, general play, focused activities addressing next steps etc.

Be kind to yourself and don't overplan, especially in the early days.