What do you all think ?

Sainsbury's OFFICIAL Christmas 2014 Ad - YouTube

Angel xx

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god it made me cry this morning, can't be watching this ad everyday..

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't seen any of them - Im feeling quite proud of myself
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sainsburys is my favorite by far!
    Toothfairy

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the Sainsbury's one very hard to watch, it is fabulously made and very thought provoking but anything that has Silent Night in I have trouble watching it as it reduces me to tears and I don't know why. I love the John Lewis one, I want a penquin
    Cath

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    I find the Sainsbury's one very hard to watch, it is fabulously made and very thought provoking but anything that has Silent Night in I have trouble watching it as it reduces me to tears and I don't know why. I love the John Lewis one, I want a penquin
    They are driving me mad already, they make Christmas seem so perfect and its just not like that.my husband passed away 7 years ago so that's probably why i feel like this.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any yet! Don't know why - I watch enough TV!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I always look forward to the John Lewis one and loved it when I saw it earlier this week but then the other evening the Sainsburys one came on, I had to rewind it and get OH to watch it. I love it, I think that's my favourite one now this year although I can't see how they can afford to have it shown in it's entirety very often, it takes up the whole ad break.

xxx

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Sainsburys one has brought a tear to my eye

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure I've seen any either!
    Although we're watching a bit of milkshake as LO been off ill and it makes his return a bit gentler on us all .... and all the toy adverts! Have yet to see anything worth getting!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched Sainsbury's one yesterday on computer and made me cry - going to show it to mindees today as we did Remembrance Day crafts on Tuesday and then watched the CBeebies clip as told from animals point of view - thought it was a waste of time, they could have had shadows of soldiers fighting in the background as didn't give the children any insight of war - was just like watching clip from Watership Down.

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    All the Penguins are out of stock on the John Lewis web site. I got mine in the post this week. I went to my local JL who were also out of stock and they did a store search, JL Oxford Street in London had hundreds and so they rang me I paid on the phone and they were posted. That was last Sat. they are lovely.

20. Likes cathtee, lisbet, Maza liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sainbury's one got a slating on LBC last night a lot of people said it was exploiting the war to sell goods. They are selling the chocolate bar in the ad in store and all the proceeds are going to the British Legion. I think that is quite positive. I would buy them but I don't have a Sainsburys nearer than 10 miles so I don't go there.

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god, crying like a baby!! Its a brilliant advert. X

24. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The Sainbury's one got a slating on LBC last night a lot of people said it was exploiting the war to sell goods. They are selling the chocolate bar in the ad in store and all the proceeds are going to the British Legion. I think that is quite positive. I would buy them but I don't have a Sainsburys nearer than 10 miles so I don't go there.
    I don't think its exploiting war to sell goods, we all buy a Poppy, what's the difference?
    I have several Sainsburys around me, Rickysmiths, if you want I am happy to buy you a bar and post it to you. X

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstylob View Post
    I don't think its exploiting war to sell goods, we all buy a Poppy, what's the difference?
    I have several Sainsburys around me, Rickysmiths, if you want I am happy to buy you a bar and post it to you. X
    Thank you for the thought but I think we have enough choc bought ready for Christmas already! I bought my Poppies this year and I have bought 5 Poppies from the Tower of London so have made quite a contribution this year.

I got 5 texts today to tell me I would have my Tower Poppies in 2 days. I only saw then planted in the moat last Sunday! So excited I can't wait to see them.

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I find the ad rather predictably exploitative.

I'm not the least bit surprised that a huge company will happily take advantage of mass sentimentality over Christmas and mass public sentimentality for its own ends over a war which destroyed the lives of millions. The fact that it is well-produced and appeals to short-term public interest in the war does not excuse it in my view.

As for the charity choc-bar, well.................... I've worked in retail and am perfectly well aware these things are nothing more than loss-leader marketing ploys with 2 simple aims:
    1. Boost the 'goodwill' effect and the 'good name' of the company as a 'brand'.
    2. Get people into the store, where they will buy other stuff too.

This sort of thing continues to be driven by the public's strange and insecure need to feel like a part of something 'big': not unlike the Olympics, Jubilee, or the latest royal births, marriages and deaths. I do wonder how genuine the whole sentiment is. Fr'instance, I have clients who went all the way to London to see the poppy display at the Tower. All well and good: nothing at all wrong with that. Then I asked them if they'd been to the (similar, but a smaller and far less publicised) poppy/remembrance installation at our local contemporary art gallery. Their response was disturbing, not because they hadn't been, but because it was an incredulous, "well, what on Earth would we want to go there for?". It's like it doesn't count if it isn't the biggest, best and most 'in vogue' public display.

I do support the Royal British Legion, but I have never considered my donations as "buying a poppy". I don't see it in the sense of a 'commodity'. In fact I've been very unhappy about the way poppies have become "commodified" (if that is a word) of late. I've had to deal with children upset cos school didn't have enough RBL wristbands to 'sell' and so children had to 'put up with' a plain poppy instead. There is a distasteful competitive snobbery about who can have the biggest or fanciest poppy attached to their jacket/car/truck/whatever, which I do not feel is at all in keeping with the whole ethos of remembrance.

In fact, some people are displaying poppies without even making a donation. Several ladies at a coffee morning I attended last week said how they'd crocheted their own poppy badges, and then realised they hadn't even thought about putting something in a RBL collection box. My previous employer used to simply hand out poppies carte blanche to staff, just to make sure we were all seen to be wearing one.

Personally, I've found the whole thing really difficult over the past few years, since Tony B-liar sent the country off to more needless wars. There is a feeling that the core ethos of remembrance has changed and been politically exploited. Too much of a shift from remembering the suffering and loss, and a determination to make sure it doesn't happen again - a shift toward "supporting our boys" and supporting war. I donate, but haven't felt entirely comfortable about wearing a poppy for the last 10+ years, and I know ex-service-people who are the same.

Also, I've been very disappointed how the anniversary of WW1 has been used as a means of rolling out and repeating an awful lot of wholly inaccurate misconceptions about the war. I've been tearing out my hair at every single piece of unhistorical rubbish the children have been bringing home from school.

30. Likes mama2three, Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Staying on Bunyips soapbox for a few minutes ( budge up a bit!) - the single released to raise funds for the RBL is a disgrace , and would infact make the original songwriter turn in his grave. The green fields of France ( no mans land) has been edited so much that the whole meaning has been changed. This last verse of the original has been completely left out. It was written as an anti-war song , not a support the forces propaganda piece!

Well Will Mc Bride I cant help wonder why

Do those that lie here know why did they die

And did they believe when they answered the call

Did they really believe that this war would end war

Well the sorrow the suffering the glory the pain

The killing the dying was all done in vain

For young Willy Mc Bride it all happened again

And again,and again,and again,and again

(and steps off Bunyips box!)
    Last edited by mama2three; 17-11-2014 at 07:26 PM.

32. Likes bunyip, Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

True, the Beck & Stone-d version is clearly sanitised to feed a war-sentiment-hungry market, without pointing out the pointlessness of it all. Probably not a good time to mention "war" and "futility" at the same time as the West abandons Afghanistan, etc. Btw, has anyone else noticed the huge contrast between media coverage of "our" 'staged withdrawal' from somebody else's sovereign territory and the Soviet 'staged withdrawal' across the Afghan-Uzbek Bridge in 1988? You can say Marx got a lot wrong, but not the one about "history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

Another irony is that people who went to Spain to try and stop Fascism in its tracks and possibly prevent the 2nd world war ever happening received nothing from either The Royal British Legion or the UK government. My great uncle was one, and the only thing the UK regime did was to confiscate his passport and refuse to re-issue it, even though he subsequently served in WW2 also.

Would we be going entirely off-topic to make a start on the odious Mr Geldof and his latest image-boosting trip on the gravy train?

34. Likes mama2three, Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed Bunyip - cant see Geldof releasing a charity version of 'la Quinta Brigada' anytime soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast