Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Your 1st day

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Your 1st day

What was it like? Your 1st day going to work is going downstairs ,and not stepping outside, was it weird ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine was 20 years ago and I still remember it - a little scary but really exciting too! Enjoy

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was quite sad actually. I felt trapped and isolated. It was the end of my maternity leave and I suddenly realised that I couldn't just pop out or meet friends (not that I did much of that anyway, but I could have done). My neighbours had taken the day off and spent the day pottering around in their garden. It sounds strange but that really, really helped me to not feel so removed from civilisation! The night before I had spent ages scrubbing the house, putting up the new highchair and double buggy and getting all my paperwork/certificates ready. I had had a bit of a tiff with hubby the night before because he was chilling out with the neighbours and left me to put DD to bed and then clean up etc. I didn't feel like he was being supportive enough in my new venture and he was cross at how much space the highchair was taking up. We soon all got used to it and it was the best career move I ever made. x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I came down with what I thought was a vomitting bug the night before my first day so had to cancel the kids coming! Turned out to be severe tonsillitis and I couldn't even keep water down for nearly 3 days before finally going to dr and getting antibiotics! Then the next week I had them and my son came down with chicken pox the day after...!
    Luckily the parents were very understanding despite the bad start and are now very happy with me, their kids cry when it's time to go home!

5. Likes Maza, littlemiss605 liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have registered twice - once in England then again in Wales. Both times I was scared and excited and absolutely amazed that a parent had left their child with me! (always have had a bit of low self esteem) - Even now I am still amazed that parents leave their children with me if I do not already know them (probably because I struggled to do it myself) - I had a 4 month old start a few weeks ago and I was sure that the parent wouldn't come on the first day!
    Last edited by tulip0803; 03-08-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by covgalxxx View Post
    What was it like? Your 1st day going to work is going downstairs ,and not stepping outside, was it weird ?
    Not so weird after all for me.

After years on the railways, dealing with the petty demands and selfish behaviour of 1000s of people acting like 3-year-olds, the first day of dealing with a real 3yo was an absolute breeze.

8. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really remember my first day. I already had 3 of my own children and had been looking after my friends's son, so it wasn't really all that much different having an extra child here. I'd give up my office job a year earlier, so was already used to being at home. We did the toddler groups and school runs already, so went out & about regularly.

One thing I did find in those days was that I didn't stop all day. I was constantly playing with the children and planning endless activities. I rarely even had lunch, never mind a hot drink.
    Now I'm much more laid back. I'm happy to let the children free play and they know to play quietly when I'm having a cuppa

10. Likes Maza, shortstuff liked this post
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My first day was awful and I cried and told eh I'd made a massive mistake and couldn't do it!!

My 2nd day and (mostly) every day since have been great and I'm glad I didn't give up after that first day!!

I think the main reason was that my ds was 6 months and mindee was 3 and I simply wasn't prepared. I think he was bored and once I got better toys and the confidence to leave the house with 2 children (!) it was fine!

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My childminding stemmed from a voluntary post providing support for new mums along side my own health visitor, 24 years ago a social worker sat in my front room for an hours chat, she didn't look round the house or ask for any paper work or certificates. That was me registered! I was already looking after children plus my own 3 and 1 year old so don't really remember a first day x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was terrified something would happen - an accident I hadn't 'prepared' for despite risk assessing to the hilt

I am the eldest of 11, with the youngest at the time being 14, 2 children of my own, and multiple nieces and nephews, so it's not like I'm not used to being around children! It took me about a week before I relaxed and calmed down

Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My 1st day wasn't so bad it was just they needed extra hours for the 1st week only, but only told me the day before, so instead of my 1st day being 12-6 I got 8-6, so long day for both us, she cried twice but only a tiny bit, and I was ready for my bed, now enjoying my 12-6, 3 days aweek as from sept school runs on the same 3days 6:30 get up is going to kill me.. Thanks guys xx

16. Likes Maza, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Lo cried for five hours only stopped when he napped for an hour and I only had him for six! Boy it was a long day my poor children must have wondered if mummy had gone mad, that was 17 years ago.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question!
    My first day was great. I only had one in ( for a few months) . She was easy peasy and I did paper work during her 2 naps ( yes 2...how lucky!) I did worry about something happening but being friends with her relaxed attitude mum was a bonus. now 5 yrs on and it's a different story lol

toddlers896 Guest

My first day was in the child's home. My registration hadn't come through so I offered to look after the child in her own house. There was no English TV but they did have a kettle I loved it and then when my registration finally came through a few weeks later I was so excited about her coming to mine. Not so sure I feel the same two years later ha ha but ime plodding along

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread- op

I've been registered twice, once in Scotland and again in England.

First in Scotland, I remember being really relaxed about it, it was 10years ago and childminding was so much more relaxed! I remember feeling really focused as I followed the framework nurseries did even though my back ground was engineering lol!!

When I loved to England I looked after a boy for less than 2 hours after school while I waited for ofsted to register me, he was a breeze!

I move all the time and every time is like I'm restarting again. I moved during this summer and am currently so worried as I dared to relax with my kids and took my foot of the pedal, I pop on here and I have loads of reading and updating to do!! My new lo will be 6 months old, I haven't had one that young for so long I'm slowly dreading and looking forward to 22nd sept when he starts!!

I dread the initial meeting with parents but always goes well haha

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute BLISS, no more 5.00 o'clock wake ups, no more feeling uncomfortable when you walk round a corner and see a group of people huddled together whispering, then jumping like scared rabbits because they thought they'd been caught bickering, only to resume their places when they see it's only little old me. Lol, don't like gossipping (usually the topic of it though), don't like coniving either. I'm a say it to your face person or do it in front of you not behind your back. Kids are the same I've noticed and that's why we get on so well.
    Enjoy your freedom from time and place commitments you will be fine.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My first day was 8th May 2008, 6 years ago. It was nice as I started at 12.30 witht heis mindee so I had the whole morning to myself everyday... had to take my own daughter to preschool and then came back, gave mindee lunch, then we played and then went to collect my dd from preschool. Mindee was 3 and fell over on the way home from the school run and cut her knee. Apologised to mum :/ and she said it's cos she is too tired to walk! lol oh..... but it was a good day. Mindee was with me for 6 months and then she and her family emigrated to Canada. Still keep in touch on facebook. She rides horses for shows... she is now 9 years old. Lovely to see