Brownies...does anyone help out or run a group?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brownies...does anyone help out or run a group?

Our local Brownie pack is on the verge of closing due to the current leaders retiring, they have been running it for a long time. They have asked for volunteers to come forward and help. I am thinking about it but wondered if anyone on here can say honestly how much time do they give to helping out. My youngest has just left school, my eldest is off to uni in Sept, my husband works away weeks at a time so I think it could fit it to my family life. Give me something else to do. Really appreciate honest answers from those who have experience with Brownies.

Thanks
    Pixie Dust

April11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I'm a guider & a childminder with a really busy life.
    Guiding is a very very important part of my life & the time I put into it has increased over the years out of choice & I love it, I have had lots of experiences I wouldn't have had without it & made some wonderful friends .
    It's one of those things that can take over if your not careful, if your pack has several helpers and leaders it's a lot easier, as if you are needed else where as long as you let the others know you can just turn up & help as and when you can.
    If you run a pack that's a whole different ball game, it's v v rewarding but takes up a lot of time not just with running the meetings, days out, pack holidays etc but with dreaded paperwork, planning, meetings & training etc (similar to something else I can think of! Lol) I'm in between, I help at 3 packs & do stuff at the weekend sometimes, I'm not classed as a fully fledged guider as I don't have my warrant (like a qualification you need) yet but give my time as and when I can , I'm very lucky we have several assistants in our packs so we can take time out for other commitments if needed.
    I love it & can't imagine it not being part of my life (7 years now) any help you can give is always gratefully received & appreciated by the other volunteers and by the girls, so from personal experience I'd say go for it but set boundaries on what you can & can't do & stick to them. Have fun

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I was a Rainbow helper and then after 2 years when my daughter moved up to Brownies, I moved up with her as Tawny Owl - I was very lucky in that I wasn't involved in any planning, I just turned up to each session 10 mins before all the girls arrived, supervised them while they did crafts and activities, joined in with games, etc - I did Brownies for another 2 years.

It's a shame when these things close due to lack of support, are there not any Young leaders at Guides who could come and help out too?

4. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I think it depends on how involved you want to be, my daughter helps out but only goes about 10mins before session starts and stays to clean and tidy up after probably 2hrs in all. Church Parade is once a month term time only. When I helped out I helped with planing and was treasurer so probably another hour per week and occasional planing meeting(usually with a glass of wine) and trip to panto and zoo once a year, brownie camp every two years but you don't need to do all these things but I have to say I loved doing them. Hope this helps.

6. Likes Pixie dust, hectors house liked this post
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to run a Cub Pack, and now run a cadet unit.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand