Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GEOCACHING

Post Thanks / Like

Default GEOCACHING

I know some of you do this

Could you all tell me more please

I've been on the official site and looked but I'm still not really getting this

Do you need transport ....can you walk to find things ?

What sort of things do you hide for others to find and do you do this to replace something you find ?

Is it fun ?

I'm interested in it but no one seems to tell me much when I ask

Why do you like it ?

Thanks everyone

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have no idea I'm afraid

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) :-) :-)

Been on a 3 mile walk today and found 6 caches

:-):-):-)

We love it. My LOs love following the arrow on the gps and finding the treasure. They also like looking in my treasure bag to choose what we put in the treasure box... ( treasure is usually little bits and pieces such as things you might find in a party bag,badges, rubbers. A geocacher round my way is putting in monopoly money :-) ) I find its great for adding a something extra or maybe a reason to go for a walk. Since starting to geocache we've found some beautiful places we would never have seen. ( sometimes really close to us as well! ) the buzz you get when finding a cache is great.
    It's also been great for LOs as we've been doing lots about maps etc and also technology for using the gps ;-)

Basically ... Look on the Geocaching site. Put in your postcode and it will bring up a list of geocaches close to you. You can then click on 'map this location' and it will show them on a map. Easy then to get an idea of where they are. Choose one and click on it. Read the info. Look for one that has 1 for ease and difficulty as they are the best to start looking for. Also those that have a big container are (usually) easier to find.
    When you read the description etc it will give you some coordinates. You can use them on a normal map if you are good at map reading. Or put them in a gps or easiest is to put the Geocaching app (free) on your phone and having found the cache you want to look for, click on the compass icon and it will point the way!

Some might be local and you can walk to, others might be on walk you can do, some are 'drive by' so are ones you might drive past.

Enjoy :-)
    Last edited by loocyloo; 09-04-2014 at 02:34 PM.

4. Likes Roseolivia liked this post
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not done it as a CM but I have with the family a couple of times, several years ago long before the IPhone hit. We used a GPS.

My DDs were about 14 and 9 at the time. We used it as a way of encouraging them to walk the countryside whilst holidaying in the Peak District- it just made it a bit more fun for them and In the end got very competitive and had to stop it when DD 14 was half way down a cliff! But that's another story.

I guess it will depend on where you live but there should be some walk able and by car. Some are easy to find and some not so. I think the kids enjoy the thrill of finding the item and leaving something else. Items range from little pens, keyrings, mini footballs, notepads etc.. Even found stones and once a small scarf! Think things like Christmas cracker/50p toys. It depends on the size of the box.

Try it, you might like it.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried a couple of years ago, and despite being close to two geocaches, we could find neither

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    I have not done it as a CM but I have with the family a couple of times, several years ago long before the IPhone hit. We used a GPS.

My DDs were about 14 and 9 at the time. We used it as a way of encouraging them to walk the countryside whilst holidaying in the Peak District- it just made it a bit more fun for them and In the end got very competitive and had to stop it when DD 14 was half way down a cliff! But that's another story.

I guess it will depend on where you live but there should be some walk able and by car. Some are easy to find and some not so. I think the kids enjoy the thrill of finding the item and leaving something else. Items range from little pens, keyrings, mini footballs, notepads etc.. Even found stones and once a small scarf! Think things like Christmas cracker/50p toys. It depends on the size of the box.

Try it, you might like it.
    I think you might be right. I like walking so to have something to look for as well would be appealing!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    I tried a couple of years ago, and despite being close to two geocaches, we could find neither
    Sorry Zoomie, I know I shouldn't laugh but I am really laughing! That would be my luck!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I met some people today who were doing something called "Monzee" (I think!) they were looking for those little code boxes that you scan into your phone, they showed me two -they had been stuck on the side off an electrice box and on a street sign... Again using the phone and a free app. Think it's more of a city thing! Apparently in one of our open spaces, rather than scanning stickers, you walk around and catch them "in the air" by just being in the right place?! Intriguing!!!

11. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never even heard of it but just had a look on the website and it looks awesome! Think I'll be getting my Wellies on at weekend and going on a hunt x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    I've never even heard of it but just had a look on the website and it looks awesome! Think I'll be getting my Wellies on at weekend and going on a hunt x
    :-) yay :-)

Be warned ... It's addictive! ... dh starts talking about going away for the weekend and the first thing I check is how many caches there are too do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    :-) yay :-) Be warned ... It's addictive! ... dh starts talking about going away for the weekend and the first thing I check is how many caches there are too do!
    Ha ha this is so up my friends alley. Just text her and were now looking up clues so we can go on a hunt at weekend. X

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Ha ha this is so up my friends alley. Just text her and were now looking up clues so we can go on a hunt at weekend. X
    LOL!

we went away to stay with friends recently ... we were meeting at a forest for lunch ... the first thing my friend said was ''bet you've looked to see if there are any geocaches here" how right she was! but it made the walk fun for the children whilst we chatted!

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my other half took our little one for a walk around 'swan lake' by us.

We had heard about this but not done it. We were walking minding our own buisness when we notices a army cloth draped around a container in a cut out of a tree. Turns out we had found one lol.

It had a little note pad and a pencil to write a message, a little army man, a marble, a 5p and a child's costume bracelet.

We got a buzz finding it and smiled to ourselves and always said when little one is older we will look into doing it for real.

xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    That would def be me ha ha

Thanks everyone for replies

Angel xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I accidentally downloaded the app. I like the idea of trying to find something on the way to somewhere. Especially if it's a walk you've done many times

20. Likes Roseolivia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping

Tess 1981

Some info here

Angel xx

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Bumping

Tess 1981

Some info here

Angel xx
    Thanks ks
    Tess1981

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well tried to find 2 this morning and we couldn't find either

Will try again though
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone take a screen shot of the app they downloaded there are loads
    Tess1981

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post