Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    Can anyone take a screen shot of the app they downloaded there are loads
    I don't know how to do a screen shot but I use cgeo which use a green box on top of an orangy yellow map. It was top of the list when i looked just now!
    On the pc I use geocaching.com which seems to be the most popular. I tried a few sites before settling on this one.

Sorry to hear people can't find a cache. When choosing one to do ... look for one that is just a 1 star for difficulty ( and terrain ) and where it says size - go for small or bigger. The small size is usually the small size plastic tubs about 6x4cm, often these may be hidden in a camouflage bag or covered in tape to disguise them! The next thing to do is to read the log and find out when it was last found. If it hasn't been found for ages or people are posting 'did not find's it has possibly gone missing ( although there is one by me that no one has found for at least a year ... But the cache owner assures everyone that he checks and it's still there! )

Sometimes there are clues in the hint given by cache owner in the description or in the logs of people finding the cache and sometimes in the photos that may be posted.

Finally ... when the gps says you have reached 'ground zero' it might be a few metres off, esp if under trees. Plus caches might not be on the floor ... Could be in a hole in a tree or wall, under a stone, stuck to something by a magnet ... or it might not look like a plastic box! Recently we've found sticks & logs that have had a plastic tube inserted with the log in, an assortment of plastic creatures, a bird box and a rubber egg!

Good luck

2. Likes Roseolivia liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I found my first one today!
    Woo hoo. Well done :-)

4. Likes Rick liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I don't know how to do a screen shot but I use cgeo which use a green box on top of an orangy yellow map. It was top of the list when i looked just now!
    On the pc I use geocaching.com which seems to be the most popular. I tried a few sites before settling on this one.

Sorry to hear people can't find a cache. When choosing one to do ... look for one that is just a 1 star for difficulty ( and terrain ) and where it says size - go for small or bigger. The small size is usually the small size plastic tubs about 6x4cm, often these may be hidden in a camouflage bag or covered in tape to disguise them! The next thing to do is to read the log and find out when it was last found. If it hasn't been found for ages or people are posting 'did not find's it has possibly gone missing ( although there is one by me that no one has found for at least a year ... But the cache owner assures everyone that he checks and it's still there! )

Sometimes there are clues in the hint given by cache owner in the description or in the logs of people finding the cache and sometimes in the photos that may be posted.

Finally ... when the gps says you have reached 'ground zero' it might be a few metres off, esp if under trees. Plus caches might not be on the floor ... Could be in a hole in a tree or wall, under a stone, stuck to something by a magnet ... or it might not look like a plastic box! Recently we've found sticks & logs that have had a plastic tube inserted with the log in, an assortment of plastic creatures, a bird box and a rubber egg!

Good luck
    Got It there now and downloaded fou do ones to follow close to me but says it's not available off line does that mean I won't be able to use them
    Tess1981

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, maybe us cms should start our own version! hide boxes for the minders of suppotive treats like mini wine bottles, chocolate and paracetamol etc lol

7. Likes Rick, funemnx liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littlemiss60561 View Post
    hey, maybe us cms should start our own version! hide boxes for the minders of suppotive treats like mini wine bottles, chocolate and paracetamol etc lol
    Mini Wine bottles???? Try crates
    Tess1981

9. Likes funemnx liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got It there now and downloaded fou do ones to follow close to me but says it's not available off line does that mean I won't be able to use them
    It probably means that you don't have internet connection. When you have Internet connection you can save them/add them to a stored list on the app and then you can access them when there is no internet.

Some will say premium members only and those are for people who pay for membership ... as yet I haven't done all the free ones round me so haven't taken out premium membershi ... yet!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks stored a few must try them out
    Tess1981

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked at my local one and this was the hint

haqre vil pbirerq ebbgf bs snyyra gerr

Not even Google translate figured it out lpl
    Tess1981

Post Thanks / Like

Found my first one today the kids and I were thrilled! Looked for two more and didn't find them

14. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looked at my local one and this was the hint

haqre vil pbirerq ebbgf bs snyyra gerr

Not even Google translate figured it out lpl
    :-) ... when you look at cache and see the hint in gobbledygook ... click on the decrypt bit in brackets and it should translate it for you. Or if using phone app just tap the encrypted words and they should translate.

Some people don't like to see a hint hence the gobbledygook!

There is also a decryption guide on the cache page on the computer

But here you are ... Under ivy covered roots of fallen tree :-)

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Must try this thanks
    Tess1981

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

:-) ... when you look at cache and see the hint in gobbledygook ... click on the decrypt bit in brackets and it should translate it for you. Or if using phone app just tap the encrypted words and they should translate.

Some people don't like to see a hint hence the gobbledygook!

There is also a decryption guide on the cache page on the computer

But here you are ... Under ivy covered roots of fallen tree :-)
    How you get that did you know what cache I was looking at super confused now
    Tess1981

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How you get that did you know what cache I was looking at super confused now
    There is a code where one letter equals another so that if you stumble across the hint it doesn't automatically ruin it for you. You can search for the geocache first then if you get stuck, press decode the message then it decodes it so you can read it.

Code attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha.... Thanks... was strut get to wondering how . you figured that out lpl
    Tess1981

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wish me luck everyone off out in a min to a local nature reserve where they are two "easy" ones to find.

Never let it be said that this Elmo gives up
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

21. Likes Rick liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

First geocache found

the children loved finding it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

23. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Found our second today and it was a really good one.. Not too hard to find and lots of bits for the girls.. Well done fussy!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Found our second today and it was a really good one.. Not too hard to find and lots of bits for the girls.. Well done fussy!!
    Are you enjoying it murphf?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Are you enjoying it murphf?

Loving it! What I don't like though is not knowing exactly what each thing is and opening bags of rubbish yuck!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post

Loving it! What I don't like though is not knowing exactly what each thing is and opening bags of rubbish yuck!!
    Its good fun the kids are loving it but Im with you on the bags. there is one on the greenway by us but I haven't found it yet seems to be lots of poop bags around but over all the positives are outweighing the negatives

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast