Teaching assistant job
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching assistant job

I've been called for an interview for one.

What sort of questions are they likely to ask?

Anything I can do to make myself really stand out from the crowd? I really want this job!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a teaching assistants qualification that you could look up the syllabus for, maybe if you read about what was covered on the course you could think about how the experience you already have as a Child minder could be transferred. Good luck with your interview, sounds like you have done well to be selected for an interview, so just expand on the info you put on the application form or your CV. If you have any experience of working with older children eg: Tawny owl at Brownies, hearing reading in a local school then make sure you give them lots of details about it.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Congrats on getting the interview. TA jobs are so in demand! In my last TA job some of the questions I was asked was - what does professionalism mean to you? They always ask a CP question - just asking what you would do if a child disclosed something. I've been in that job for 3 years so will rack my brain what else they asked and add to this if I remember anything. Good luck with it. X

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh they do like experience of dealings with extra-curricular activities. So for example in my 1st TA job (was there 5 years) I trained for and ran Boxercise classes, this was mentioned at interview and within the year I was running Boxercise classes again in the new school - so anything you can put into the school - mention!! X

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At very interview I've ever had (in general, not TA), they've always asked at the end if I had any questions. Might be worth thinking about a question to ask to 'show off' if something you want to tell them hasn't come up e.g. In my spare time, I paint, would there be an opportunity to use that skill in an after school club? It'll probably be the last bit of the interview so you want to be memorable.

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

I've spent a lot of time researching possible questions and planning my answers and have come up with a few situations I can use for various sorts of questions.

I'm feeling quite privileged to even be called for interview. And the parent I asked to write my reference has written an amazing one...she sent me a copy and also works quite closely with the head as part of her job...which I didn't know when I applied! Fingers crossed as I really want this job!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

9. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember being asked about equal opportunities/inclusion and what it meant to me, and also go asked about how to be a good team member.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Show you're aware of the differences in your role to that of the class teacher you will be working with. Emphasise that you know how to work as a team as they may think being a Childminder does not include this when you are a lone worker (eg other CMs, parents etc)
    Sweetpea x