How old were you/your child when they learnt to swim?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How old were you/your child when they learnt to swim?

How old were you/your child when they learnt to swim? Did you prefer using arm bands/jacket/float or nothing? How often do/did you take your child swimming? x

Post Thanks / Like

Mine were about 5 and 7 but that was cause I do not like swimming. We used arm bands and the more we went the more confident they became. They had goggles and we bought them nose clips and the day we bought nose clips they took their arm bands off and have never looked back ...

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I took my boy swimming at least once a week but I love swimming. He was getting on fine with armbands but when I tried to take his armbands off him he just wouldn't listen to me.

So I put him in swimming lessons and he was swimming without armbands within a term. That was when he was 4, he's now coming up for 9, still doing lessons and now wants to be an Olympic swimmer!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD is 5.5 now and has been going to swimming lessons for 2 years....she still can't swim very well. But she does enjoy it and I'm sure it will eventually all just click into place for her!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I didn't learn until I was 11 and that was by my dad taking me snorkeling and using flippers. ( and my primary school had its own pool and we swam every week unless it was freezing!)

Because of the above and the fact that I don't really enjoy swimming my children started lesson s when they were about 4.

Ds wasn't keen and cried ... But would swim whilst crying! His teachers were great and acknowledged he wasn't keen but encouraged him..,7 years on...he now loves swimming, has swum a mile and trains with local swim club. He swims in friendly galas and school galas but doesn't have the time to train for competitive swimming as has lots of other interests.

Dd was going great guns very quickly but then had a new teacher and forgot how to swim! Started from scratch again and she is doing very well and also trains with local swim club who are talking about her taking part in galas and competitions. She is 8 and loves swimming.

Dh and I often think about taking them swimming, but never really get there as so much else going on!

Before they started lessons we used to try and go every month! Not much but just about do-able. I think we used arm bands a bit but mainly just let them play.

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine both went in the water at 6 months and were able to move in the water and float competently by 2yrs. they then went on to learn to swim and learn both Personal Survival and Life Saving and take awards in both.

I remember being in a swimming pool with my Dad and I was about 2.5yrs old, an open air pool we lived in Germany, so at least then if not earlier and I am a real water baby always have been and still am some 57 year on .

11. Likes Maza, funemnx liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 3 - we had just moved to Singapore - the day we arrived my mum (7m pregnant with my brother) my sisters (2, 7 & 9) were on the beach with my Dad. I decided to 'walk' into the pool on the beach and my Dad had to resue me wearing his full Air Force uniform.... Needless to say he taught me to swim very soon after!! Neither I nor my 4 sons every had any aids at all and are all good swimmers.

13. Likes rickysmiths, Maza, nipper, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I was 3 - we had just moved to Singapore - the day we arrived my mum (7m pregnant with my brother) my sisters (2, 7 & 9) were on the beach with my Dad. I decided to 'walk' into the pool on the beach and my Dad had to resue me wearing his full Air Force uniform.... Needless to say he taught me to swim very soon after!! Neither I nor my 4 sons every had any aids at all and are all good swimmers.
    Oh how funny! My Dad was RAF as well hence Germany.

15. Likes Maza, funemnx liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt get DS into the pool at an early age as he was oxygen dependant. I wish I had gone with my gut instinct and done it before 5 though as he is now scared of the water and anything unpredictable happening while we are in the pool. It is the crime of the century if another child splashes lol

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I couldnt get DS into the pool at an early age as he was oxygen dependant. I wish I had gone with my gut instinct and done it before 5 though as he is now scared of the water and anything unpredictable happening while we are in the pool. It is the crime of the century if another child splashes lol
    Oh shame he doesn't like it at the moment, bless him! Is he okay in the bath and swimming pool?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oh shame he doesn't like it at the moment, bless him! Is he okay in the bath and swimming pool?
    he loves the bath because he is in control, but the shower tickles too much lol. He is soooo ticklish he even squirms when you shampoo him x

He is ok in the pool if there is no one near him too x

I should point out that he is 7 now and other than his tonsils fully healthy and over all of the past issues x

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS is now 9, I have tried no end of times over the years to teach him to swim but he would just cling to me so tightly and wouldn't let go. I believe that it's vitally important that children learn to swim so this time last year I enrolled him into swimming lessons. He absolutely hated it, he was so stiff and visibly shaking but I wouldn't let him give up. He got stronger and stronger and has progressed up and up in the classes but has always said to me that he never wanted to go up to the next class as they teach them to dive in that group and he no way ever wanted to do that. Fair enough. Anyway 2 weeks ago the lady who runs the school told me the teacher in the next group wanted to poach him for her group as he was so good. I told DS after the lesson and to my absolute amazement he agreed. I said but what about the diving? His response? "I'll give it a go, how hard can it be". SO, last week he moved up and did his first sitting dive. To say I was so proud of him is an understatement. I can't believe this is the same boy who a year ago would burst into tears at the end of every lesson because he hated it so much.
    I also enrolled my DD at the end of last year when she was 6, she hasn't progressed too much but the physio recommended swimming for her joints. She loves it though, no fear from her.

xxxx

21. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

DD1 wouldn't have lessons but learnt by going each week with me and DD2. DD2 had lessons and hated the first one and stood shivering, refusing to do anything. 6 weeks later she was swimming lengths and jumping in the deep end. I was terrified of water and swimming, but gain some confidence taking them each week into the shallow training pool and started swimming at the age of 34! Still not a good swimmer but I get by but will not go out of my depth.. I sometimes climb in at the deep end, then swim really slowly and carefully so the water doesn't know I'm there until I know I can touch the floor again.

23. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 8. My friend taught me one day as we were invited to another friends swimming party and I was the only one who didn't know how to swim! Started lessons at school the month after and went straight into "top group" much to my friends disgust! My dd started lessons at 5. Took her a long time to "get it" but finally at 8 she has moved up and can swim a width without putting her feet down- not a natural at all but she doesn't mind going and I want her to swim. Ds is now 5 and clings to me or oh in the water and refuses to do lessons. I don't want to push him if he's not ready but at the same time I don't want him to be too old and feel embarrassed around his peers. Finding this thread very interesting as I have been working out when I should "make him" for a while.

25. Likes Maza liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 38
    Not scared of the water just couldn't get the hang of it.
    Don't live near enough to a pool to get any practise so am not a strong swimmer by a long shot, but would like to do it more.

My 4 Children were all swimming by the time they were 5.

27. Likes Maza, rickysmiths, nipper liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    I was 38
    Not scared of the water just couldn't get the hang of it.
    Don't live near enough to a pool to get any practise so am not a strong swimmer by a long shot, but would like to do it more.

My 4 Children were all swimming by the time they were 5.
    It's never too old is it? My mum could only swim a few really slow strokes when I was growing up and she hated the water. Once we had all flown the nest she suddenly took up swimming. No, at the age of 75 she goes every other day and swims lengths and lengths and loves it!

29. Likes nipper liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    My DS is now 9, I have tried no end of times over the years to teach him to swim but he would just cling to me so tightly and wouldn't let go. I believe that it's vitally important that children learn to swim so this time last year I enrolled him into swimming lessons. He absolutely hated it, he was so stiff and visibly shaking but I wouldn't let him give up. He got stronger and stronger and has progressed up and up in the classes but has always said to me that he never wanted to go up to the next class as they teach them to dive in that group and he no way ever wanted to do that. Fair enough. Anyway 2 weeks ago the lady who runs the school told me the teacher in the next group wanted to poach him for her group as he was so good. I told DS after the lesson and to my absolute amazement he agreed. I said but what about the diving? His response? "I'll give it a go, how hard can it be". SO, last week he moved up and did his first sitting dive. To say I was so proud of him is an understatement. I can't believe this is the same boy who a year ago would burst into tears at the end of every lesson because he hated it so much.
    I also enrolled my DD at the end of last year when she was 6, she hasn't progressed too much but the physio recommended swimming for her joints. She loves it though, no fear from her.

xxxx
    Wow AliceK, that brought a tear to my eye! You must be so proud. If only we had a crystal ball each time we worried about our kids. Well done to your DS! X

31. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of water babies, apparently my national swimming grandad dropped me in the water at 6mths old with the words "swim you beep beep swim" as was my dad. I took my young babies as soon as I could I think after the second lot of jabs so about 6 month both loved the water although my son wouldn't wear any kind of floatations aid and would just walk off the side of the adult pool never worrying how deep it was causing the life guards into action at which point he'd bob up full of smiles from all the fuss x

33. Likes rickysmiths, Maza, nipper, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started having lesions at 2

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughters started swimming lessons when they were in reception. My son has only just started lessons (in Year 2) though, because although we have always taken him swimming regularly, he has never wanted to lift his feet off the bottom of the pool. Once he was showing interest in doing this, I signed him up for lessons. He's loving it and after just a few months can now swim a width.

36. Likes loocyloo liked this post