Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling kids out of school

Ave just looked at prices for a midweek stay at Centre Parcs and they are extortionate in school holidays . And yet if I pull them out of school at the beginning of May it's only £400!!!!!!! Am debating whether to pull them out of school and risk the fine. Has anyone else done this? And if so, did u get a fine???

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd was given the chance to go to Italy for a week in May... I told the school she was going as it was a good opportunity. They agreed.
    Maybe it is different in Northern Ireland but there was no mention of a fine... I hace seen my ds off school for over a week with flu and the school didn't ring to check why he was off... maybe highlight the learning benefits. btw how much is the fine
    Tess1981

3. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that it's not just a single fine. They will fine you and your partner and for each day off school.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For me its not about the fine , I wouldn't pull my kids out of school unless absolutely unavoidable. In addition to the obvious 'education' angle I teach them that rules are to be followed , not broken. They aren't allowed to choose which boundaries are important and which aren't...I would be a bit of a hypocrite to do otherwise.
    I do understand all the arguments about 'learning not only happening at school - completely agree.
    I do understand all the arguments about the value of quality family time - completely agree.
    Centreparcs is lovely , but not necessary. There are lots of very affordable uk breaks during the holidays..Im taking ds on one tomorrow. Ok its not centerparcs but if I cant afford that then I find another option.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mama. We always go away in the holidays and always find reasonably price accommodation. I wouldn't even look at cenreparcs, way beyond our price range. I spend a lot of time looking online and have very reasonable priced accommodation in all areas saved in my fave

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Just remember that it's not just a single fine. They will fine you and your partner and for each day off school.
    No they don't they fine for each absence and each parent so if it is one child each parent will be fined if it is two again each parent will be fined for each child.

I wish it was for each day of absence then maybe more parents would have to think twice about taking a child out of school.

8. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    For me its not about the fine , I wouldn't pull my kids out of school unless absolutely unavoidable. In addition to the obvious 'education' angle I teach them that rules are to be followed , not broken. They aren't allowed to choose which boundaries are important and which aren't...I would be a bit of a hypocrite to do otherwise.
    I do understand all the arguments about 'learning not only happening at school - completely agree.
    I do understand all the arguments about the value of quality family time - completely agree.
    Centreparcs is lovely , but not necessary. There are lots of very affordable uk breaks during the holidays..Im taking ds on one tomorrow. Ok its not centerparcs but if I cant afford that then I find another option.
    I couldn't have put it better and I completely agree with you.

We have never been to Centre Parcs and we have never been to Disney in Paris or USA they are all ridiculously expensive in or out of the School Holidays and I seriously don't think my children have suffered as a result.

We have never taken them out of school for a holiday and we have had some fab holidays here and abroad for very good cheap prices, we tend to book last min.

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking my daughter out 3 days before they break up this summer to avoid an extra £600 on our holiday.

Everyone has their opinions on this and me included. I would not take her out mid year or at an important time. But the week they break up for summer they are asked to take in their favourite games and DVDs. They then spend the week in constant "golden time"

Next year will be different as it is her final year before she begins secondary school so we will not go abroad and this is likely for the remainder of her education unless we can afford to go in holiday time.

The government need to step up and stop the travel companies exploiting school holidays in this way!!

However, I would never go to centre parcs as I feel that they exploit their prices hugely whilst boasting about fun family time!!

11. Likes tinkerbelle, Maza, Ripeberry, tess1981 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emma04 View Post
    I'm taking my daughter out 3 days before they break up this summer to avoid an extra £600 on our holiday.

Everyone has their opinions on this and me included. I would not take her out mid year or at an important time. But the week they break up for summer they are asked to take in their favourite games and DVDs. They then spend the week in constant "golden time"

Next year will be different as it is her final year before she begins secondary school so we will not go abroad and this is likely for the remainder of her education unless we can afford to go in holiday time.

The government need to step up and stop the travel companies exploiting school holidays in this way!!

However, I would never go to centre parcs as I feel that they exploit their prices hugely whilst boasting about fun family time!!
    Why should they? Anymore than they should control the prices we charge. It is down to market forces and the same way we all charge different rates for our services so do holiday companies and they always have. The difference today is that everyone seems to think it is their right to have a cheap holiday.

13. Likes FloraDora, mama2three, dawn100 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    No they don't they fine for each absence and each parent so if it is one child each parent will be fined if it is two again each parent will be fined for each child. I wish it was for each day of absence then maybe more parents would have to think twice about taking a child out of school.
    Here they can (if they wish) fine £60 per parent per day of absence. So a week off would potentially be £60 x 5 days x2 parents = £600 per child per week.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I also agree with mama2three. If you start following some rules and not others what example are you setting your children? That rules are there to be broken when you want to? What argument will you have when they start breaking your family rules?
    I have never had a holiday in school term time, and didn't even think about it. I looked at my budget, then looked at what I could afford in school holiday time.
    The latest regulations around term time holidays are that Headteachers cannot approve ( before there was this option of a possible approval for max 10 days in year, depending on LEA) so schools will not have a climate of being ok to go on holiday, therefore putting your children at risk from peers making comments.

Also, attendance is a big part of school assessment now, a school can be really good in all other aspects but if their attendance is low then ofsted will downgrade. Do you want to contribute to this for your children's school? Your child's attendance could make or break school data.

16. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

im taking my kids out of school for a holiday theyll miss 3 days of the start of term in September i was left with a decision to pay £5400 for a 2 weeks all inclusive on a aqua park holiday in the august holidays and not take my oldest as he was with his nan them two weeks/ the first 2 weeks with his dad or go at the end of august and them miss 3 days of school for £4000 this includes taking my oldest child with us ill take the £120 fine for 3 children thanks and as the oldest 3 are not my husbands he doesnt get fined
    until holiday companys set a standard charge through the year then ill continue taking my kids out we also go around the country were staying in so do take in some culture and history and if its good enough for the school to take my son to iceland to see the culture in school time at my expense then its good enough for me

18. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have taken our children out before but only because their Dad had a work rota that couldn't be changed. The only way to have a (much needed) family holiday of more than just a few days was to go during term-time and this was our argument to the school. The school were really good about it at the time. The kids were small at the time and I think now that they are older we would be much more reluctant to do this.

20. Likes tess1981 liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Soon only the rich will be able to go on holiday. The rest of us will have to save up for a couple of years or so. Just like the old days.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly we have never been able to charge anywhere near enough for our services because the economy won't allow it and we are not the only employed people who have to put up with shockingly low paid wages that do NOT meet the rate of inflation.

Secondly, I never mentioned wanting the rights to a cheap holiday! I can have one whenever and wherever, I know that. I just want one that is proportionate to its value and not over priced because I'm a parent of a school aged child. Discrimination???

My point was about the way in which holiday companies hike their prices in the school holidays for no other reason than the fact that they are greedy and wish to gain higher profits!
    They know full well many people who work hard all year want a nice holiday and they prey on this fact!

In my opinion they would make just as much profit during the holidays if they charged cheaper prices because more people would travel!

Wonder what would happen if the energy firms hiked up their prices by 30% and more during each and every winter just because they knew people would want heat!

Also if we all stuck to the rules in every book all of the time, we'd be embracing the turnip purée that Ms Truss is spouting and congratulating Mr Gove on his expert opinions!

23. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just see it as another cost that parents have to bear. I know it's frustrating that holidays can be double during the school breaks, but it's kind of tough. The school year is the same every year, you know you are always going to start first week sept, you will always have a week in October, 10days over Xmas, week in feb, two weeks Easter and then another week in May before breaking up in July. Just book in advance!!

There are always more cost effective ways of doing things...I think it's wrong to take children out of school, especially mid year. Weekend breaks are just as enjoyable and educational!! I booked Easter weekend in Paris for two for £200 this morning!

25. Likes FloraDora, rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There may also be legal cost and interest added to the fine which increases very rapidly.

27. Likes Ripeberry, rickysmiths liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine children have had 1 day holiday in school time and that's when me and their dad were getting married.

I don't believe that children should be taken out of school but that's always been my own opinion.

BUT

then look at this from center parcs

Book your Short Break with Center Parcs UK

Its over double to go in the school holidays so to me that's exploitation of the parents who want to keep their children in school.

Its not about having a cheap holiday its about the holiday companies treating families fairly

Its ok for the government to keep telling us that the cost of childcare is too high and how they are going to do something about it but for holiday companies its acceptable
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

29. Likes Shamai liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Soon only the rich will be able to go on holiday. The rest of us will have to save up for a couple of years or so. Just like the old days.
    I'm sorry I disagree. There are plenty of affordable places to go on holiday here and abroad in the school holidays. I couldn't even contemplate paying out £5000 for a holiday or even £4000 for a holiday in the holidays or term time. I think that is very expensive but it would seem some think it is a bargain.

I have never paid more than £1000 for a holiday in my life! That is for a family of four in the summer holidays. We have have had 3 weeks touring around the Peak and Lake Districts staying in Youth Hostels. 2 weeks in a cottage in Cornwall which is what we did for years when our children were small. A week in Paris in August and another year a week in Slovakia at a Sea Scout camp, first class train to Prague for the 3 of us and then hotel for 4 of us for a week. The whole two weeks return flights to the UK included didn't cost £1000 and that was in August.

It is and always has been very possible to have a holiday in the summer. Anyone would think this is a modern situation. It isn't, it was the same when I was at school 50 years ago. Holidays were expensive in the school holidays just the same as now.

The difference then was that fewer people went on holiday and everyone worked just as hard if not harder, offices were open and working on Saturdays then so you only had one day a week off and less holiday time off and there were less Bank Holidays! No one then thought it was a right to have a holiday, it was a luxury and so only a few people went on them even in this Country. Also very very few would dream of taking their children out of school because they respected the school rules, they would have been mortified at some of the attitudes now.

I think it is the same values that set our young people off on the wrong foot (shoot me down) we are adults and we are supposed to be role models to our children and by taking them out of school for a holiday to me flies in the face of this. We need, we deserve, because we work hard, so its ok for us to break or ignore the rules. Really? I find that thought process very selfish and to me it is the beginnings of demonstrating to our children that we don't have to keep to the rules if they don't suit us. I find that bad as a parent and as a childminder. Sorry if this upsets people but it is the way I feel and i was brought up.

31. Likes caz3007, mama2three, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Mine children have had 1 day holiday in school time and that's when me and their dad were getting married.

I don't believe that children should be taken out of school but that's always been my own opinion.

BUT

then look at this from center parcs

Book your Short Break with Center Parcs UK

Its over double to go in the school holidays so to me that's exploitation of the parents who want to keep their children in school.

Its not about having a cheap holiday its about the holiday companies treating families fairly

Its ok for the government to keep telling us that the cost of childcare is too high and how they are going to do something about it but for holiday companies its acceptable
    That may be but since when has it been the rule that you have to go to Centre parcs? It has always been an expensive place to go ever since they first opened.

33. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast