Pulling kids out of school
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to further clarify, it wasn't her opinion I thought was juvenile, just her argument of life is too short.

Post Thanks / Like

Education is not the only important factor in a child's life, having the opportunity to spend quality time with their family is equally as significant. My husband has his holidays allocated and as such we are being penalised. We too deserve to have the opportunity to spend quality time with our children. I'd love to live in the world of these people that set these rules, unfortunately the majority of us are not so lucky.

Registered Childminder since
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past, I've taken mine out of school for either one or two days at the beginning of two Florida holidays (3 years apart). It saved us almost £800 each time by going a few days earlier. I did have permission from the Headteacher because Hubby was in the forces at the time and due to his tours we did have a bit of leniency and an understanding head teacher who also decided family time more important for us for the sake of a day or two.

Now that they're are older, the pace of learning is faster and exams, tests etc.. and just one day missed means a massive set back, so we only go in school holidays. My Dd was ill for two days last term and it really knocked her back trying to catch up. There is no leniency at her school even if they are ill. Yes it's a beatch going in school holidays but thats the way it has to be now.

I guess I can see two side of the coins. You have to decide what's more valuable.

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    Just to further clarify, it wasn't her opinion I thought was juvenile, just her argument of life is too short.
    The fact that I could've died at Christmas leaving a 9yr old and a 3yr old without a mother! May have something to do with my so called "juvenile" response!!!!

I spent the whole time in hospital, missing the hanging of the stockings and them opening their presents on Christmas Day!

I understand you did not know my circumstances. However, if you feel that my outlook on life is juvenile then I hope you live long enough to have spent the time you WANTED in the way that you WANTED with your loved ones!!! And NEVER experience a Christmas like mine!!!

Besides my circumstances....How anyone can be called juvenile for stating that "life is too short" clearly has a crystal ball to denote their future!!!!!

6. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

What annoys me about ALL of this is that these rules are non-existent for people who choose to home educate. Why should rules apply to some and not to all? In future home education will be the way to do it. Yes you will end up poor and maybe not be able to go on holiday. But you'll be able to choose the curriculum. The older my children become, the more I want to pull them out of school.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

8. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    What annoys me about ALL of this is that these rules are non-existent for people who choose to home educate. Why should rules apply to some and not to all? In future home education will be the way to do it. Yes you will end up poor and maybe not be able to go on holiday. But you'll be able to choose the curriculum. The older my children become, the more I want to pull them out of school.
    Mine is only in reception and I already feel this way.

I'm actually seriously considering it but my husband has told me it would be a deal breaker and he would leave taking DD with him. I never wanted her in school in the first place.
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emma04 View Post
    The fact that I could've died at Christmas leaving a 9yr old and a 3yr old without a mother! May have something to do with my so called "juvenile" response!!!! I spent the whole time in hospital, missing the hanging of the stockings and them opening their presents on Christmas Day! I understand you did not know my circumstances. However, if you feel that my outlook on life is juvenile then I hope you live long enough to have spent the time you WANTED in the way that you WANTED with your loved ones!!! And NEVER experience a Christmas like mine!!! Besides my circumstances....How anyone can be called juvenile for stating that "life is too short" clearly has a crystal ball to denote their future!!!!!
    Before this turns ridiculous, I think you should also be aware that I lost both my parents, 18months ago, I was 25, so I understand life is too short, there is no need to shout. However as much as I would like to use the phrase life is too short everyday, it can't get you out of doing what you are supposed to, I would never use my parents death as an excuse for behaviour, and that is why I said it was juvenile!

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I bet half the people on this forum have suffered tragic life events, we couldn't all say "life is too short" nothing would get done.

In the same way, if a parent said to you, "I won't be paying this week, we went on holiday with our wages, ahh well life's too short"! I know I'm being pedantic, but that's the point, saying life is too short simply Doesn't cut it. You can't pick and chose what laws/rules you want to follow based on how tragic your life experiences have been. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I wish I could play that card, but I can't and won't!

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I bet half the people on this forum have suffered tragic life events, we couldn't all say "life is too short" nothing would get done. In the same way, if a parent said to you, "I won't be paying this week, we went on holiday with our wages, ahh well life's too short"! I know I'm being pedantic, but that's the point, saying life is too short simply Doesn't cut it. You can't pick and chose what laws/rules you want to follow based on how tragic your life experiences have been. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I wish I could play that card, but I can't and won't!
    I personally think this is going off the point.

It's a RULE- a RULE is different to the LAW.
    A rule is something someone would like you to follow. You can put sanctions in place (like the fine) to try and make people follow the rule but won't always work.
    Law means you have to do something a certain way or there is serious consequences.

If Emma says she would take her children out to enjoy a fab fun filled holiday, life's to short and family time is precious - to me that in no way makes her juvenile at all.

It means she treasures her family and she makes decisions based on what she believes is the best for her children. I'm not saying people who wouldn't take their children out don't. We make choices based on what we feel is right for OUR OWN families.

If your children attend regular/all the time and are achieving well there is no problem what so ever in my eyes.

I have problems with the families who don't send their children to school because they can't be bothered to get up early in the mornings and instead have their children riding up and down the streets all day on bikes/scooters screaming, shouting when they should be at school. While they sit like couch potatoes smoking, watching rubbish tv in their onsies all day. My previous job meant I saw this first hand with so many families!!

They need to address this issue more so first before punishing parents who work hard, try their damn hardest to provide lovely things for their families on the little money they have left after all the bills are paid out their own pockets (not like the social above).

It is a difference in opinions - as I said before this doesn't make any juvenile or their remarks. It makes us different and we are allowed to be remember.

Life is too short is a phrase used by many people because it's a reality.

If you have opportunities in this life you grab them with both hands and have as much fun as possible and make memories with the people who mean the most.

When I was at school - some of my friends would disappear before SATs etc for several weeks visiting families in India for example. Nothing was ever said then.

Now schools are run as business' - bums on seats means more money remember - (just saying).

A week or two if your child's on track isn't going to make a lot of difference.

They soon catch up and settle straight back in.

I would love to home tutor too!! I agree one rule for one and one rule for another never works.

I can see all this dining buisness backfiring massively!!

Guess we will just have to watch this space xx

13. Likes emma04 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*fining buisness

Not dining buisness lol lol

Love how my phone just changes words xx

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought you'd changed tac to include free school meals x LOL x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Before this turns ridiculous, I think you should also be aware that I lost both my parents, 18months ago, I was 25, so I understand life is too short, there is no need to shout. However as much as I would like to use the phrase life is too short everyday, it can't get you out of doing what you are supposed to, I would never use my parents death as an excuse for behaviour, and that is why I said it was juvenile!
    I think we all have lost relatives. What the poster was trying to say that until YOU yourself are near death. How would you know how you felt about the fragility of life and how little time we really have in this world? Every moment is precious and if it means breaking some rules then so be it.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

17. Likes emma04 liked this post
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I bet half the people on this forum have suffered tragic life events, we couldn't all say "life is too short" nothing would get done. In the same way, if a parent said to you, "I won't be paying this week, we went on holiday with our wages, ahh well life's too short"! I know I'm being pedantic, but that's the point, saying life is too short simply Doesn't cut it. You can't pick and chose what laws/rules you want to follow based on how tragic your life experiences have been. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I wish I could play that card, but I can't and won't!
    I can pick and choose and I have!! I've chosen my life, well being and that of my children over a rule!!! Not a legal requirement! Nothing I am doing is wrong just unacceptable to some.

I'm sure there are many that have suffered tragic events that would understand where I am coming from. I am not playing a card or looking for sympathy!!!! I am stating a fact...... After looking in the mirror and watching my face turn yellow as a result of liver failure I swore nothing would come before my family ever again!!

And it won't, especially anything that involves money and the LA!!!!!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that members need to get back on track about the subject and not get into arguments.

So come on everyone please back onto topic
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

I'm out- not up for misinterpretated or personal comments.

Difference of opinions by light years. That's what makes the world go round.

On lighter note, if anyone has got holidays booked, enjoy!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we have. I have four days off before Easter and we are decorating. The first May bank holiday weekend we are having a Tea Party to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We are going up to Liverpool for 2-3 days at the end of the May half term, I have taken the whole week off and we are going to see my baby boy who was born 2 days before my Mum passed away at my house, she came to help me with dd and my new son, hey ho. So looking forward to seeing him and seeing something of Liverpool. Anyone go any recommendations of what to do or see? Then I have two weeks off at the end of August and one of them I am going to Gloucestershire to spend a week with dh as he is Music Director for a production of 'Oh What a Lovely War' which is being put on by an amateur dramatic group of friends. I hate the thought of taking part but I love to watch the finished production. I am hoping the weather will be good and so i can use the pool and I will sit and do some needlework and read and relax.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I had logged onto ***** by mistake! Deep breath - in and out, in and out.

I'm going to Thailand for our 30th wedding anniversary - in exactly 4 weeks time I will be driving up to Heathrow to catch a flight - although after watching the Hairy Bikers Asian programme that we recorded weeks ago, I am getting slightly worried as I HATE coconut, fish and on the recorded programme we watched last night they showed a HUGE tarrantula in the Jungle in the North - sure the guidebook only mentioned elephants and orchids!

We are going part way during the Easter holiday to help the teacher parents and then the following week which includes a bank holiday to help the non teaching parents - I gave them 5 months notice so everyone should have either booked the time off themselves or asked grandparents to cover.

23. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a lovely time HH.

25. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Thought I had logged onto ***** by mistake! Deep breath - in and out, in and out. I'm going to Thailand for our 30th wedding anniversary - in exactly 4 weeks time I will be driving up to Heathrow to catch a flight - although after watching the Hairy Bikers Asian programme that we recorded weeks ago, I am getting slightly worried as I HATE coconut, fish and on the recorded programme we watched last night they showed a HUGE tarrantula in the Jungle in the North - sure the guidebook only mentioned elephants and orchids! We are going part way during the Easter holiday to help the teacher parents and then the following week which includes a bank holiday to help the non teaching parents - I gave them 5 months notice so everyone should have either booked the time off themselves or asked grandparents to cover.
    I'm not jealous at all lol! I desperately want to go to Thailand but DH isn't keen! I'm going for my 40th I've decided! Not giving him any choice in the matter....and got a decade to persuade him lol!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

27. Likes hectors house liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234