Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of cancelling my summer holiday

I booked a holiday to Tenerife, 10days all inclusive. I had visions of a restful relax by the pool with a book, kids in the pool, smiles and lots of fun

But the reality is I've got ds 15 and ds 12 who cannot stand the sight of each other. DS wants to be in his room with his xbox friends online and DD can be very, very stroppy and a timebomb with her emotions. Every time they come across each other in the house its like WW3.

The room I booked is suitable for 3 adults and 1 child but we are just in one room which sitting thinking about it sounds like a complete nightmare. Xmas wasn't enjoyable as the fun wasn't there. I couldn't wait for it to be over truthfully

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling. I've paid over £500 but have another £2000 to pay by May. I will lose the £500 but I'm thinking do I want to shell out another £2000 for 10 days of hell with the kids.

Gone are the exciting family holidays where the kids are eager to go to the beach and their little faces bring warmth to your heart....Ive got two hormonal teenagers who are a complete nightmare at the moment
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that sounds awful! So sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I have no advice as mine are younger. I totally see where you're coming from. Is there any way of upgrading to get an extra time for that extra peace? I imagine it would be an awful lot more money but worth looking at to see if its a possibility for your peace of mind? X

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know where your coming from. We went on a holiday of a lifetime To Florida when my DDs were 14 and 9. The 14 year old was a nightmare and couldn't be botherd to do anything and we had paid for all the park tickets etc... I have to admit it wasn't as bad as your situation sounds though. She did spoil our holiday but we did get on with it and ignored her most of the time when she was having a strop! We turned it into a joke and by about day 4/5 she came around a bit. Think of Kevin and Perry and your not far off!!!!
    Could you try and get two rooms?? Or accomodation were you can split. It would be a shame not to go and let the hormonal teenagers win. You deserve a break.

On a plus side I can tell you, they will get through it. My DD is now 18, a beautiful, intelligent, well mannered girl who looks out for her sister and were actually looking forward to a Florida holiday in August with no worries about sharing rooms. Thankfully the hormonal girl we did not recognise for 3 years has disappeared.

Hope you sort it, sending hugs x

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a shame, they might be better in another country though? Teenage years oh how I dread lol. xx

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you told them you're planning on cancelling the holiday?
    Maybe telling them and saying if things haven't changed by end of feb it will be cancelled and they will be spending the 10 days doing chores instead of playing on the beach might make things better?

6. Likes caz3007, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain, was very glad when my eldest dd decided not to come on holiday with us....easier all round.....what about taking a friend for the eldest one, or leaving the eldest with another family or his grandparents and taking the other one a friend instead.....

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised the hotel are letting you just have one room with the ages of the children, when we went to Fuertenventa with friends a few years ago we were allowed to have our 15 year old daughter in our room but our friends because they had 16 & 14 year old girls they had to book an extra room - it worked out great for us as our daughter moved in with the other girls and we had our room to ourselves. I know it wouldn't be the same but could you book an extra room and share with your daughter and your husband share with your son, after all you will be hoping not to spend much time in the room anyway, it's just somewhere to sleep and shower!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone I'm struggling with these teenage years even though my dd isn't 12 until May...lol

Last years holiday was borderline...we had a whole house then. I dont even know what possessed me to book 1 room

I have told them about cancelling and I've said they may have to go to grandparents while we go without them (although they know i'm bluffing because there's no way my parents will have then for more than a couple of days and I wouldn't ask them to)

I'm having a chat with hubbie later and discuss with the darling children too
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel your pain.

mine will be 12 & 9 when we go away in the summer and currently they can't even breathe the same air! ( last time we went out in the car, we ended up taking the 7 seater and put one in the boot seats and one in the middle row !( dh wanted to put one in the front and one in boot, but no way was I going to sit in the middle row! )

mine are due to be sharing a room in the villa we are using, but my mum is coming too, so it might be that she shares with one of them and the other has her room ... and then they will argue over who does or doesn't share !!! ARGHHHHH!

good luck. hope a frank discussion goes well, although the current response I get is 'well' 'so what' 'don't care' 'doesn't matter' ( as don't want to admit they do care etc! )

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest leaving them with grandparents. Is there anyone else they can stay with?

I had my 15yr old grandaughter here last summer for 3 weeks, took 2 of the weeks off work (unpaid) and all she wanted to do was lie in bed on laptop, she was a nightmare. You have my sympathy

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel and thank you for sharing - it makes me feel 'normal' my 2 are 12 and 15yrs they are SOOOO mean, nasty, viscious and rude to each other it breaks my heart but it is just sport to them. They insult each other to the point of wishing the other one dead, no remorse is shown and the worse the fights the more it fuels further riots! And I am just resided now to be the riot police.

Leave 'em to it, pick up the pieces, occasionally blow your stack!! then they know they have gone too far but don't cancel your hols, you never know they might surprise you. if it's flop then you know your family hols have reached a natural end but you have to try.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't cancel your holiday
    Leave the 15 yr old in the room all day take 12 yr to pool and u relax hahaha

I'm taking my lot 16,11,5,3 away to turkey in August it is gonna be hard work ESP to keep them all happy and I probably won't even relax what with the pool and water and little ones but I'm saying to myself I deserve this more than them haha

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain & thank you for making me feel normal. I sometimes think as childminders people think our children are going to be perfect(afraid not in my house :-(. )

Mine are 23,22 & 17 & it does get better but there was lots of days when I felt going out the front door & not coming back, I know bad parent. Give me other peoples kids anytime x

16. Likes mum26, Ripeberry liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's making me feel a whole lot better as usual.

It's the hardest thing at the moment...Give me 9 mindees between 0-9yrs any day its a breeze.. Give me two teenagers and I feel like my head is going to implode.

I've posted before on here about my two terrors as this teenage stage is new to me. I now know what new parents feel like when they bring a new baby home for the first time...absolutely clueless. I never had that feeling because I knew what to do but the teenage species is a whole new ball game.

I'm learning to just leave them to do their own thing and my weekends are beginning to be quite nice, but still getting my head around 'no more family trips out' as they just don't want to.
    DS is going through the vampire/caveman state of living where any sunlight seems to burn and I get an occasional grunt every now and again and DD is extremely hormonal and we can be at each others throats sometimes.

I'd like to fast forward about 5yrs but then I'd be 44 so that's not a good idea
    Last edited by JCrakers; 31-01-2014 at 02:09 PM.

18. Likes loocyloo, Maza, hectors house liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

it does improve honestly! my eldest ones at 19 and 17 can be pretty civilised now but I still wouldn't want to go on holiday with my eldest dd, she is high maintenance - gawd help any future partner or husband lol

20. Likes tashaleee, loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Thanks everyone I'm struggling with these teenage years even though my dd isn't 12 until May...lol

Last years holiday was borderline...we had a whole house then. I dont even know what possessed me to book 1 room

I have told them about cancelling and I've said they may have to go to grandparents while we go without them (although they know i'm bluffing because there's no way my parents will have then for more than a couple of days and I wouldn't ask them to)

I'm having a chat with hubbie later and discuss with the darling children too
    sound exactly like my two! no you go hon - maybe look at booking them into a teenage activity holiday camp (boarding included) or at least threaten them with that.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

22. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Realistically you spend very little time in the room on a holiday and maybe a little family time could bring you closer together. The eldest is old enough to have a little freedom so it's not like he has to spend every bit of the time with you. You will probably find both children will make some friends and do their own thing most of the time. I would say the bulk of the time together would be meals (which you prob do at home anyway) and when sleeping.

First few days will probably be the worst

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are 18 and 15 - you have my sympathies

They dont particularly get on - they fight like cat and dog - the youngest would love to lay in his room all day (he doesnt get the option) and the oldest is a real (female dog) to the youngest over everything he sais or does

We sat them down and had a long chat about going on holiday or not - and have decided that we will BUT they have both been told to make the most of it as it will be our last family holiday this summer) - if they dont behave (we are going to Florida) the extras they want to do out there wont happen - the ball is in their court...

BUT if I was in your position I would seriously sit them down and see what they say and if they didnt want to go I would cancel

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got an iPad, laptop or other gaming item you could take with you for the 15 year old. You could buy a mobile Internet stick over there and viola leave the 15 year old in the room, no different to being at home for him.

Keep the 12 year old busy by the pool etc, take it in turns with DH.

I'd sit down as a family and state your concerns ask them, what they are expecting from the holiday what their concerns are and put some rules in place that you ALL agree to. Remember they no longer see themselves as children and want to make their own choices even if they are not maure enough to think the consequences through.

One thing I do know is that teenagers are always right and like the last word and sometimes you have to bite your lip and let them have it. Think of a tantruming toddler you just let them get on with it until they come round, it's much the same with teenage strops and rages.

The most successful holiday we have had with teenagers in tow was at the manor house hotel okehampton Devon. Two star so not all mod cons and luxury but fabulous as its a sports and craft hotel, something for everyone to do either together or separately, the horrors made friends and kept out of each others hairs, unless you want to you only need to be together for bedtime and evening meals, lovely safe family atmosphere to the place. Theirs a spa, craft classes, swimming pools, archery golf..... The list is endless.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Send the oldest off to an activity camp and take the youngest on holiday. Or even better, send the kids off and relax at home!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast