Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of getting a Kindle.

I am thinking of getting a Kindle, are the books expensive or is the Kobo better? thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my kindle - sure there is a special discount this weekend on Amazon??

Books sometimes are free but mostly I pay under £1 each
    Debbie

3. Likes rickysmiths, loocyloo liked this post
    sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Really wow that's cheap!! thanks looks like I will go for it! I usually pick up books at bargain shops etc mostly second hand, didn't want to spend too much as read quite a bit!

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Love my kindle

Like chatterbox I look for free books or ones under £1. I will pay more if it's something I want to read x
    Love Amanda

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love my kindle.
    The best feature it has, which beats its competitors, is the screen. It 'Reads like paper with no glare, even in bright sunlight'. Its really easy on your eyes, I can read for hours! It' great for outdoors in the sunlight, you can always read the screen......but best of all ... you can read in bed with the light off and not disturb DH. Its light, really comfortable holding it and you don't have to do all the turning over manoeuvres that you do when reading a book lying down.
    I love books too and read both ways but the technology is so good now that when you finish book 1 of a trilogy you can be reading book 2 immediately, no waiting until the weekend to get to the shops or the library( or the next day from amazon).
    You can often read the first chapter of a book in a free sample, so if you don't get into it you haven't wasted your money.
    I love being able to highlight key passages too.
    My DS gave me a waterproof pouch for it for Christmas, designed for reading in a pool on holiday but it's great for reading in the bath too!
    I have reread most of the classics for free, but the other great thing about a kindle is that nobody knows what you are reading, great on trains or waiting for a meeting to start when you want to appear intellectual but are actually reading trash!

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I love my kindle.
    The best feature it has, which beats its competitors, is the screen. It 'Reads like paper with no glare, even in bright sunlight'. Its really easy on your eyes, I can read for hours! It' great for outdoors in the sunlight, you can always read the screen......but best of all ... you can read in bed with the light off and not disturb DH. Its light, really comfortable holding it and you don't have to do all the turning over manoeuvres that you do when reading a book lying down.
    I love books too and read both ways but the technology is so good now that when you finish book 1 of a trilogy you can be reading book 2 immediately, no waiting until the weekend to get to the shops or the library( or the next day from amazon).
    You can often read the first chapter of a book in a free sample, so if you don't get into it you haven't wasted your money.
    I love being able to highlight key passages too.
    My DS gave me a waterproof pouch for it for Christmas, designed for reading in a pool on holiday but it's great for reading in the bath too!
    I have reread most of the classics for free, but the other great thing about a kindle is that nobody knows what you are reading, great on trains or waiting for a meeting to start when you want to appear intellectual but are actually reading trash!
    That settled it, got one off Tesco with a cover!! Thanks guys!

8. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I have a nook. I got one with a light n it is brill. Its similar to a kindle but cheaper at the outset.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband has a Kobo - he hasn't had to buy / pay for any books as with a Kobo you can download books from library website, they stay on the reader for 3 weeks and then vanish by themselves back to the library - no fines

11. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a kindle fire HD for my DS, which he accidentally dropped and the screen smashed - I contacted Amazon to find out where I could go to pay for it's repair - Nowhere! They don't have repairers, and if I had an unauthorised repair, it invalidated the warranty. So how do I get an authorised repair done? You don't, we don't authorise repairs, but they would happily sell me a replacement at £40 less than the original cost!

When spending £160 on an electrical item, you'd hope you could get it repaired officially!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Kobo from WHS £30. It was cheap but books are more. I've just spent £4.91 on a book and it was £3.68 on Amazon

I would have liked a Kindle but at £30 the Kobo is good for me
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My OH had a Kindle for ages and I hated the thought of it, I loved my "proper" books and never thought I would get on with a Kindle. However one night with nothing to read he suggested I borrow his Kindle. I had it for about 18months until I bought myself a tablet this Christmas now I have the Kindle app on there and OH has his Kindle back . I can honestly say I love it. So easy to sample and buy books and I now have the app on my phone too and my phone and my tablet automatically sync so I'm always at the right place in my book. Brilliant.

BTW my OH's first Kindle accidentally got a smashed screen, I called Amazon and they replaced the Kindle for me

xxxx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    BTW my OH's first Kindle accidentally got a smashed screen, I called Amazon and they replaced the Kindle for me

xxxx
    Yes, they did say they would have been happy to replace the earlier model (just to add insult to injury!), but not the more expensive models

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I just got a Kobo from WHS £30. It was cheap but books are more. I've just spent £4.91 on a book and it was £3.68 on Amazon

I would have liked a Kindle but at £30 the Kobo is good for me
    You can download books from your local library website and have books for 3 weeks (as you would a hard copy) for free - you can't do this with a Kindle, this is why I bought my OH the Kobo, my daughter has one now too. I still prefer a book (probably as I used to work in a library) but will prob borrow my daughter's kobo when we go on holiday and download library books onto it. Not all books in library catalogue are available to download and sometimes you have to wait (just as you would with a hard copy) for book to become available.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

when i looked at getting an e-reader I was not sure about kindle because i wanted to borrow books from library and can't through kindle but as I write this I'm wondering if i can download the library app as I have internet access and could do it through internet not through kindle.

I do love my kindle though and they replaced mine when it wasn't working properly. I too mainly look for free books and read far more than I ever did before because my hubby goes to work at 4am so is asleep in bed very early and with the kindle I can read without needing the light on. I try far more types of books than I ever would before and spend £2-£3 on a book if I'm paying but I always search free books first!

I also like real books so am surprised I was so easily converted! I LOVE it! I see you've already bought one now - I hope you enjoy it!!

18. Likes loocyloo, primula liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

as for the kobo only being £30 - that's a bargain and if I can't get library books on my kindle I think I would consider asking for one for my birthday just to get academic books for my studies on the e-reader (my local library hasn't got the greatest selection!)

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my kindle I have had it for nearly 3 years there are nearly 300 books on there and I have only paid for 4 and they only cost about 12 for the 4, I also download kindle books onto my samsung tablet just not enough time to read them
    Cath

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    as for the kobo only being £30 - that's a bargain and if I can't get library books on my kindle I think I would consider asking for one for my birthday just to get academic books for my studies on the e-reader (my local library hasn't got the greatest selection!)
    I paid £100 for my husbands Kobo glo just over a year ago (this is one with built in light), maybe you should search your library's database for it's range of academic e-books - they may not have a comprehensive selection of e-books if they don't hard copies. They still have to pay a purchase price for the e-books books, which is why only a certain number of each title is available (due to licensing), and it maybe that they haven't got enough budget to buy many academic books either hard copy or e-books.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't get my libraries ebooks on my kindle

I have downloaded all the ebooks I have ( inc sarah707s ) onto my kindle, along with DM, EYO, and assorted other 'paperwork' and its useful to have them 'by my side' to look at, plus I always have them to hand for training courses etc! ( plus I have kindle on my phone & tablet, so documents are always to hand! )

a friends daughter was given a kindle for Christmas and was saying it was a waste of time ... I suggested she downloaded all her school books/revision stuff ( her school have most books available as ebooks on their website and the pupils have to read/use them online to access homework etc ) ... she has done so and is really impressed and now all her friends are doing the same thing.

x

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Loocyloo
    I have a kindle how do I download Sarah e books onto it. It is a great idea.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy1956 View Post
    Hi Loocyloo
    I have a kindle how do I download Sarah e books onto it. It is a great idea.
    I 'think' you have to go to your Kindle account on Amazon and it should have an email address for your Kindle. Then using your regular email, send an email to your Kindle email address with ebook or document attached. It should then appear on your Kindle. :-)
    If that doesn't work, there is a question and answer page on the Kindle amazon site.
    Good luck x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast