Ofsted call but i have no mindees....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted call but i have no mindees....

Ofsted called today said I'm due for my first inspection but I don't have any children since Christmas. My only parent not even confirm if kids r coming back or not... Ofsted said they will call again after few months but I'm really worried what will happen if I still don't have any children by then... I have a big disadvantage which is I don't drive and parents just turned away...

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a shame. I don't drive either and there's never been an issue. Hopefully you will find someone soon

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and it's never been a problem. I only collect from my local primary but couldn't do others even if did drive as all come out at same times

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm living in a village area and it seems that parents here don't like the idea of me walking or taking bus with their children. I can understand why they don't want me to walk with them because it's on a busy road with almost no pavement... so I can only wait for children who don't really need school pickup/drop off...

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive and have minded for 24yrs and have never lost a contract because of it......in fact I think it been a 'selling point' parents have all loved the fact that we walk alot and use buses and trains , I also live down a country lane without pavemements, I've just had to be really, really firm and am always 'drumming' on about road saftey to the children xx

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can't get away from the fact that loads of parents who drive, cannot comprehend the use of public transport or walking to places.....
    So, you have to sell yourself with something else that overrides any negative thoughts about LO's not being in luxury travel ....... If you can offer something that they really like, be just the person they are looking for in other ways, the fact that you don't drive will not be a problem. Have faith in yourself!

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

But the parents didn't even come to see me when I told them I don't drive... Should I not mention it before they come and see me? They usually asked a lot of things in email n I replied all (including price) n they are happy n wanted to arrange visit. Then I usually told them I can't drive before making any arrangement. N then they disappear....

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    You can't get away from the fact that loads of parents who drive, cannot comprehend the use of public transport or walking to places..... So, you have to sell yourself with something else that overrides any negative thoughts about LO's not being in luxury travel ....... If you can offer something that they really like, be just the person they are looking for in other ways, the fact that you don't drive will not be a problem. Have faith in yourself!
    Thanks so much! Perhaps I also dunno what's special about myself that I can sell... Maybe I really need to think about that!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww, keep your chin up. Why exactly do they need you to drive? Is it to take the little ones to playgroups/libraries etc? I also don't drive but I live in a town where everything I need is just a few minutes walk away. x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try only giving some basic information and organising a visit to speak further? I do drive but I chose not to use my car for the first year of childminding. I don't think it put anyone off as I explained the sorts of things we did do rather than what we didn't do. I chose to start using my car as my own children were wanting to go further afield in holidays and I decided it was the right thing to do for my family too.

12. Likes TY628 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever mentioned if I drive or not at the initial stages, it wouldn't enter my head to volunteer that information unless asked directly do you drive.
    Never mention anything you may consider a negative until you have had chance to meet them and show off all the positive things about your business.

Be more creative with your answer, so they ask do you drive you say, I take the little ones walking out in the fresh air, we get the bus to x y and z thechildren love it as they don't tend to go on buses with parents but no I don't drive personally.

14. Likes Goatgirl, TY628 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Muddy puddles
    first posting on this site .
    .I have always felt a bit different from other childminders in our area.I do drive but have very limited use of our family car mainly in the school holidays .We walk everywhere 0.8 of a mile to school each way.Loads of environmental learning through the seasons.A chance of fresh air and exercise on those days when outdoor play at school hasn't happened owing to the weather been plenty of days like that lately.
    Children have learnt so much from bus travel.knowledge passed on to parents by children when circumstances change and bus travel becomes a necessity for them.Parents have viewed very positively knowledge of travel on public transport gained as children develop independence and what to go in to town or change schools and need to travel by bus.
    This is who I am. My children aren't the ones in the people carrier waiting outside school for the older children mine are the ones playing with sticks in the puddles!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your kind advice and the sample answers! Parents need me to drive to pick up from school, go to library/children centre. I told them I can take them on the bus but I never tried to sell it as a feature heeheee I would definitely use your suggested answer next time. Hopefully I will find some parents very soon... Thank you again!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you hit the nail on the head - don't mention it until you have them for a visit and have sold them on all the positives! Also think of the environmental factor, you are doing your bit for the planet x