Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puberty Chat with DD

DD turned 8 in November. I am wondering when would be a good age to have a chat about puberty with her and maybe the facts of life.

Her hair is getting greasier and she has had the odd spot or two, also she isn't quite as flat in the chest department as she used to be. I was the same and got my first bra in year 5 (aged 10) although I didn't start my periods until I was 13. Her friend came over just before Christmas an although she is a year older than DD she will be off bra shopping soon. I'd hate for DD to start her periods and not have a clue what was going on.

I just don't want to discuss things too early as she is still my little girl, but equally her body is starting to change. She is quite mature and very matter of fact about stuff but I am quite nervous about broaching the subject and how don't really know how to initiate it in the first place.

Glitter Guest

It can be hard to talk to your own children about this subject. It is up to you how much you tell her, but I found with both my girls it was easier to tell them everything at once, from puberty and all the changes, right through to babies.

The best thing I was told is never talk to a child/teenager about embarrassing or personal subjects face to face. It is much easier to do it while doing the washing up, while in the car or out for a walk. If you can not see each other it is less embarrassing for both of you, and your child is more likely to open up.
    One of my daughters friends started periods when she was 10 and her mother had not told her anything. She thought she was dying- so please don't leave it too long!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

amazon have some great books for younger children. had to get one for my dd when she was in year 4/5

dd has this one and still reads it now and she is in y7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girls-About-...ooks+for+girls
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

4. Likes ziggy liked this post
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd is 6 and I tell her things as and when. She has been with me when I have had time of month and I have just told it is my monthly and that I get them every month and she will too, when she is about 10. I explained it was because a baby didn't grow and that baby is born through via your vagina / an operation on tummy etc

Basically I just tell her bits and pieces. I'll join these pieces of information up and hopefully over time she'll have the big picture. I think that the younger you do the conversation the less embarrassing. My DS is 14 and I can't bring myself to have a 'sex' conversation with him, although he knows all about how babies are created / changes of puberty.

Twice DD has picked up some kind of 'diary' at the library but I have just ignored them because they aren't really suitable for her current age. But there are books about too.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd was 8 in sept- we had a puberty chat a couple of months ago- brought up naturally talking about clothes fitting different shapes and how bodies change. She did tell me that periods sound disgusting and she never wants to talk about it again lol! I wondered if she was too young? She's quite mature for her age with most things so not sure.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I keep waiting for dd (8) to give me the opportunity to talk to her but it never appears or the one time it did was in the middle of a party!
    I'm going to have to broach the subject and don't quite know how!
    I'm on the mini pill and don't have periods at all so can't even start from there! Think I'll get a book and leave it lying around!
    Dh is meant to have had a chat with ds ... Don't think he has!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have three teens and when they were little I gave each of them a book about Puberty etc. A quick chat after they read it answers any questions.

9. Likes ziggy, Goatgirl, The Juggler liked this post