Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: cat problem

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi this sounds silly but I'm after some advice. We moved house 2 1/2 yrs ago with our cat. The house hadn't had a cat in it for at least 8 years before! Our cat seemed to come to agreements with all the local cats and we rarely see them in the garden. Apart from a tabby, who for the past year has come in and had the odd look in the window!
    This tabby is now ALWAYS in our garden and sits right by the door to the kitchen looking in or under the sandpit! Our cat sometimes seems not to be bothered but does spend most of his awake time looking out of the windows and then running out chasing this other cat away. Sometimes they seem to have stand up fights but through a window! I don't think this cat has ever come in. They must have real fight s too as our cat often has scratches on his head/ears. This has been going on since the summer.
    I really don't know how to get this cat to go away! We've chased it away, sprayed water but anything permanent anti cat will affect our cat!
    Our cat is laid back and I would say a bit thick really!
    This other cat has a checkered history as it belonged to a neighbours friend but was 'entrapped' by another neighbour (with lots of cats) who was always feeding it and although they got the cat back and kept it in and the neighbour was told not to feed it etc...The minute it was let out it went straight back to the neighbour :-(

I don't know whether we ought to ignore the cat and hope it will eventually go away or if we ought to befriend it...But I don't want to stress our cat out any more but I don't know if he is 'friends' with it or enemies!

And I know you can't tell someone to keep their cat away etc like it is possible with a dog!

Help!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you sprinkle some pepper and put orange peel in the specific place the cat sits?

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tricky one as you can't do the standard anti-cat deterrent. Have you thought about asking your vet for any suggestions? You could also try putting some holly where the other cat usually sits.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm very interested in the answers here as a local cat is coming in our garden and terrorising our two little cats (they are only a year) and keeps attacking them, even as they come in through the catflap. She's bitten one on the tail as she came in and already had her cowering in a corner of our garden. I had to take one to the vet last week with an infected foot where she got bitten I would hose her down to scare her if I saw her but I'm always too late.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

To keep cats out of our digging pit I sprinkle with curry powder and put down sliced lemons. I do it for about a week whenever a new cat moves to the neighbourhood. Could you try this but keeep your cat in so he isn't put off? Don't know how feasible that would be as I don't have cats.

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our neighbours new cat (older kitten) keeps coming into our garden and sits at our guinea pig's hutch staring in. The poor things must be petrified! We have a cat but he tends to stay inside most of the time and doesn't even notice our guinea pigs. I've been chasing it off with a water sprayer/plant sprayer with the nozzle set to 'soak'. It does run away but comes back a minute later. Hopefully consistency will work!