Am i over reacting
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am i over reacting

My 10year old daughter came home with a book from the school library she picked it because they are learning about this poem in class. I picked up the book yesterday to read it to my four year old daughter. While I was reading the book I found the pictures were quite graphic IMO anyway what do you think :/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

My 10 year old came home with a class reading book which he himself refused to read because of the graphic pics. I informed school explaining thought it unsuitable and they changed it to a more suitable one. Had " well it's on the national curriculum" and " it's in their reading range" but said surely in the whole world of reading material something more suitable could be found! The following group read they only read a short passage from, appropriate to the work they were doing not the whole book. You may
    have to stand your ground but I agree very graphic.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they are a bit nasty but I wouldn't be concerned, 10 year olds and children don't look at it in the same way as we do, they don't understand the true horror and the meanings that the pictures could portray, it's our understanding and knowledge of the world and it's horrors that make the pictures more pungent and striking. What does your daughter think?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

what is the poem?

some poems can be quite graphic themselves! and like koala, I would ask your DD what she thinks.

I probably wouldn't read a poem a 10yr old was studying, to a 4 yr old. DS has been reading some war poetry lately ( he is 11 ) and although my 8yr old dd would easily be able to read it , and understand, I don't think its necessary yet! she was reading a Christmas poem about king herod by Charles Causley ( innocents song ) and its really given her cause to think, and worried her a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

It's called the huntsman it's over 100years old. my daughter is enjoying the subject what's she is doing at school at the moment and was embarrassed about me going into school :/ she just wasn't pleased with me at all and said I'm being stupid lol x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovemykiddies View Post
    It's called the huntsman it's over 100years old. my daughter is enjoying the subject what's she is doing at school at the moment and was embarrassed about me going into school :/ she just wasn't pleased with me at all and said I'm being stupid lol x
    AAWWW Mum sounds about right

Post Thanks / Like

To lucyloo I didn't realise it was a poem book my daughter always brings books home for her little sister to read to her. So it's a lesson learnt to me make sure I read it myself before I let her read my my other children x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovemykiddies View Post
    To lucyloo I didn't realise it was a poem book my daughter always brings books home for her little sister to read to her. So it's a lesson learnt to me make sure I read it myself before I let her read my my other children x
    I should start doing this! A friend told me about a sex education book that her 5year old DD came home with!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a big gap between my children so the oldest's reading material was often not suitable, we had a 'top shelf' for books everyone was currently reading but not suitable for all. Oldest child brought a friend home once who wanted to see our 'top shelf' reading material.......was most dissapointed to find novels, alien and scfi and gory history books!!!