Conjunctivitis
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Conjunctivitis

Post Thanks / Like

Default Conjunctivitis

I there what are your policies for exclusion of a 1 yr old with conjunctivitis?

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't exclude but do expect them to have started treatment , very contagious. Lots of hand washing and seperate towels

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    Personally I exclude.
    It can be very contagious and although other parents probably wouldn't mind, I have a serious eye condition which needs to be treated aggressively with steroids to minimise damage and sight loss when it flares up.

The hospital advised me that it would be very difficult to control if I got an eye infection as the steroids would encourage the infection! I might consider a refund as its for my benefit...

Do what's right for you. Its your business and your decision

4. Likes Koala, bunyip liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I also exclude until treatment has been given and eyes are clear - at least 24 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I exclude too - at this age they are likely to pass it from one eye to the other - must be treated and clear.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimskiddies View Post
    I there what are your policies for exclusion of a 1 yr old with conjunctivitis?
    There are none and the medical advise now is not to treat unless it is still bad after 3 days because it normally clears up in this time.

The medical advise is not to exclude but it is your business and up to you what you decide to do.

Personally I have never excluded and never in 20 years had any problems with cross infection. It is all down to good hygiene.

I only exclude the same way with any illness if the child is so unwell they can't take part in the normal daily routine.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 03-12-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much everyone, she seems quite unwell so will see how mum thinks she is in the morning xxx

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter had this the other day. I follow hpa and they say not to shut.we could attend play groups which i understand and at home its easy to clean. I told parents that they are welcome not to send the children if they were worried but they were fine.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just had a mum collect a 5 month old with conjunctivitis. This was purely because he is totally clingy and I couldn't even move a metre from him. With 2 others here he was better off with mum. Mum has taken him to the doctor just in case there is more to it so time will tell. But if lo had been ok in himself we would have seen the day through together as a team x