Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ringing school again

Sometimes I feel like I'm ringing school about the most trivial and minor things.....I don't remember my Mum or Dad ringing my school up if I had a problem at all.

My dd started her periods last month and its due again so she's getting all worked up (only turned 11 in May) because if she needs the toilet in class her teachers wont allow her to take her bag with her.

I bet they're in the office now saying 'It's xxx's Mum again' and rolling their eyes...lol

I suppose I don't ring in that often but feel like I do I just couldn't rest knowing that dd was getting all worked up. If I'm out in public, I always take my bag to the loo. My Dad would have said 'You''ll be right...just get on with it'

I always say 'Do you want me to ring in and talk to the teacher'
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm ringing school about the most trivial and minor things.....I don't remember my Mum or Dad ringing my school up if I had a problem at all.

My dd started her periods last month and its due again so she's getting all worked up (only turned 11 in May) because if she needs the toilet in class her teachers wont allow her to take her bag with her.

I bet they're in the office now saying 'It's xxx's Mum again' and rolling their eyes...lol

I suppose I don't ring in that often but feel like I do I just couldn't rest knowing that dd was getting all worked up. If I'm out in public, I always take my bag to the loo. My Dad would have said 'You''ll be right...just get on with it'

I always say 'Do you want me to ring in and talk to the teacher'
    Times have changed schools need to be more approachable and I think we are more confident now in talking to teachers if we / kids have problems .. I would have rang too, poor mite has enough to worry about and they shouldn't have to stress about such things. I hadnt thought of that actually my two eldest are 10 and 12 and I imagine will start soon, they have stuff in their bags in case.. I suppose I imagine it will be quite light if starts and they might not realise Til in the loo but they would even then have to come back and get bag. There is a new pack for kids that age it's in a funky purple pencil case type thing so it doesn't look odd but has all they need ., wonder if these might be an option? Must have a google! Hope she is ok anyway! (Oh and I would rather teachers thought I was mad but dd was happy so u did right!)

3. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I think teachers would rather be aware of potential issues than be clueless. My mum works in a school and I remember her telling me about a boy aged 8/9 ish who came into school and in the morning just burst into tears, teachers tried to talk to him but he didn't want to talk and even said come on now there's no need to cry etc boy then carried on with his work, spoke to mum at end of the day who then informed them his grandad who he was very close to had died the night before - she had thought about telling the school, the teachers felt awful for how they handled it as if they had of known they wouldn't of pressured him to work and would of been more sympathetic - if only they had known!

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure my dds school dreads me phoning - the primary did and now they're both at secondary its not much different. I had a conversation with my eldest today - she's 16 and has dreadful trouble with her periods. They have been.controlled by medication but due to other health problems she's been taken off them so really worried about it for her so told her to go to guidance just in case ... But I'll probably phone just in case as they are not routinely allowed put of class to the loo which could be really embarrassing for her.

I also know how important it is for teachers to be aware of things going on in a child's home life as I used to teach. Best I had was a 5 year old boy being brought in by his granny - who walked into my classroom, said "Sorry he's late, his dad was shot last night" then left. How can you ask a 5 year old if his dad is alive?!!

6. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    amirose Guest

You did the right thing I remember trying to go over to my bag and hide them up my sleeve of my jumper because of this very reason! I do get the logic behind the rule (to avoid smoking and drugs in toilets - which seems mad when they are so young!) but as a young woman it makes an already difficult situation worse xx

8. Likes Maza, clairer liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm always phoning school, or emailing them about stuff!

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Its important to you and daughter and thats what matters! Schools want problems etc shared these days as its in childs interests x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad its not just me then
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's something the school needs to think about. You are doing all the other girls a favour - the ones whose parents won't phone in.

I know what you mean though, I'm paranoid that I'm always in too. I don't know why though because I used to teach and welcomed parents queries and input. Obviously the parents who are rude and critical get on your nerves and you dread them walking towards you! x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think you should worry about phoning- if the school is any good, and your calls/ communications are polite then they will welcome your input.

In a large school, for every parent that phones to keep the staff up to date with important to their child matters, there are 100 that don't!!!
    Guess which parents are looked upon more favourably when they can quickly overcome obstacles that might affect a child and therefore affect their learning , by a quick communication!

If all goes well following your communication you are in a position to answer the question on all questionnaires/ online ofsted site 'Parent View' - 'This school responds well to any concerns I raise'
    You would be surprised at how many parents put n/a to that as they have never raised concerns! It looks much better for the school if the parents feel they can raise concerns, they are listened to, and the issue dealt with appropriately.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have called the school too. My daughter mentioned that they are not allowed to go to the toilet in lesson time. I was like "what"?!!! Surely it's a basic human right to go to the toilet when needed?! I can understand they don't want all the kids trapsing in and out but there have to be exceptions in emergencies surely?

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughters friends mum has written a letter for her daughter to show to the teacher at the beginning of each lesson explaining that she is having her period (which is quite heavy!) and may need to leave the lesson. Saves embarrassing herself in front of the class!
    My eldest daughter told me one of her friends kept asking to go to the toilet but was constantly refused so in the end said very loudly "I'm having my period and need to go and change my tampon"!!!!! Gotta love bolshy teenage girls! X