Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Using anti-perspirant at school

Was having a bit of a chat with my eldest boy yesterday (14) as he came home a bit stinky...turns out that although he showers every morning he's not been using deodorant afterwards so now he is
    He said 'Mum, don't say mean stuff' but I replied 'would you rather me tell you or people comment at school'. He agreed it would be better coming from me.

I said why don't you put some in your PE bag and you can put some on after PE. He said 'nah, too many people spray it in the changing room and I cant breathe very well afterwards. Its got no windows or air and everyone sprays too much. It makes me cough and I don't want to spray anymore'

Now, he doesn't have Asthma as such but does have an inhaler for hayfever and when pollen is high. It's mainly used at night in the summer, but I cant help feeling a little protective of him and his lungs ....lol
    I don't want him breathing in all the spray which isn't good for you is it really ?!?

Am I being a bit over sensitive? Should I ring in and ask to see the schools deodorant spraying policy? (being policy mad and all that)

Seriously though, do you think its a health risk or am I being a bit ott ( as usual )
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Slightly different but my junior school had a spell of lads taking in the very tiny tins of spray into school and they banned them due
    to children having breathing problems and also they were spraying them at other children, I do agree with you that if you have a lot of boys
    in the changing room then it would be a health issue for them, perhaps they should have a poilicy of only allowing roll on deodorant.
    Cath

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Difficult one as you don't want to appear to be an over protective mum at school but l had exactly the same problem with my son when he was that age he had by then only just out grown asthma (fortunately) and l am very anti sprays unless absolutely necessary so we use roll on deodorant at home but he wanted a body spray for school "because everyone uses them". After reading your post l thought why didn't l speak to PE department and suggest they have a no can policy roll on only, perhaps you could try that. Apparently the girls when he was at school all used a roll on (to many mixed smells) it came up in conversation after a PE lesson.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My year 6 boys and girls were allowed to use roll on deodorant, mainly they wanted to use deodorant after showers when they went swimming, but roll on was allowed after PE or when we went to the outdoor education centre, or in the summer, for refreshing, if they wanted to.

We couldn't allow spray because of affect it could have on others.

My youngest son was not allowed spray deodorant at his high school - just roll on. Just email and ask if the school has a policy on deodorant spray - or may be they have their policies on their website/ learning platform ....and then take it from there.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all... i'll email them today

Its difficult to know when to say something or just leave it. I don't want to come across as a mum who rings in at every given moment to complain and ask about things
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.