Christening outfit and present ideas?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christening outfit and present ideas?

Not sure why I panic about these things but here goes...

We have a family (OH's) christening coming up, I've picked a lovely navy blue dress for DD to wear, however I'm completely stuck for myself!! What do people wear to christenings nowadays? I really don't know how smart / casual to go!

Also, we'd like to buy an unusual but special present for the little one, ideas would be appreciated!!

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't help on the clothes I am rubbish at that but I love to give a hand turned and engraved rattle to littles babies on special days. I get them from the plate rattle and bowl.

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post

We have a family (OH's) christening coming up, I've picked a lovely navy blue dress for DD to wear, however I'm completely stuck for myself!! What do people wear to christenings nowadays? I really don't know how smart / casual to go!

Also, we'd like to buy an unusual but special present for the little one, ideas would be appreciated!!
    I had an email through from next with some lovely dresses on it-will see if i can pop a pic on x

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suziealderton View Post

I had an email through from next with some lovely dresses on it-will see if i can pop a pic on x
    http://www.next.co.uk/G4936s3?utm_so...Q4S0#870092G49

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh thank you, will definitely look at the rattles, they sound lovely!

As for the dress, that's so me! Dark colours suit me so much better but someone told me I shouldn't wear black to a christening so I'd ruled it out, I feel a next shopping trip coming on this weekend though!!

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh thank you, will definitely look at the rattles, they sound lovely!

As for the dress, that's so me! Dark colours suit me so much better but someone told me I shouldn't wear black to a christening so I'd ruled it out, I feel a next shopping trip coming on this weekend though!!
    Which one did you like the best?

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much you want to spend on a gift, but I would go for a silver cross and chain or gold bangle( my daughter was given one) Or a nice children's bible. OR nice children's pottery/china. I gave my god child a limited addition teddy bear made by a well known collector.(Quite expensive) If a little girl, a collectors china doll, look on the inter net. MY daughter received a silver spoon, the handle had been rolled so she was able to hold and use it from an early age, it has good memories. What about a photo frame which the babies special items can be placed inside like a first shoe( internet or mama and papa's sell) not too expensive. A bronzed/ silver foot/hand mould. OR have a look on the internet for christening gifts, might give you some good ideas.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My close friend had a christening/ adoption celebration last year. I gave her ready made family of two daughters a globe, several books, some for an older child but some for very young around the theme of the world, children around the world and the childrens rights charter, some world music for children and a qoute about what the world has to offer them in life.
    My thoughts were that they would get loads of traditional silver christening gifts that would sit in a display cabinet for most of their lives - I wanted to give them something that might help them understand the world they live in and what that world has to offer- life, adventure, travel, harmony, whilst they were young.

Went down really well, embarrassingly so, as other people talked about the gift throughout the day. Mum said that a year later they are enjoying the stories and music and still will, as some were for a bit older than they are.

My boys were given adventure books by someone nearly 30 years ago now at their christenings. They have these books on their own shelves at their homes. The Beatrix Potter, Bunykins cups and plates, silver and pewter tankards, silver spoons, engraved bibles etc.. Are lovingly displayed in my cabinets! Thats what gave me the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

The first dress was my favourite!

My OH is going to be godfather therefore we would like the gift to be really special and one that will mean something to her in years to come. I'll definitely be having a look at the collectors bears / china dolls and the theme based around the world is just so thoughtful so will have to get my thinking hat on! I also like the idea of gold as it's not commonly bought for christenings which I like.

Thank you for all your fabulous ideas x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

My 6 year old was christened last week..people wore all sorts...Thre were people in trousers and smart tops, some in dresses... My son got a compass, St Christopher, and a childrens bible..I went to a little girls christening the other week and bought her off ebay a rag doll which had all the christening details on it

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

The first dress was my favourite!

My OH is going to be godfather therefore we would like the gift to be really special and one that will mean something to her in years to come. I'll definitely be having a look at the collectors bears / china dolls and the theme based around the world is just so thoughtful so will have to get my thinking hat on! I also like the idea of gold as it's not commonly bought for christenings which I like.

Thank you for all your fabulous ideas x
    The lace one is beautiful isnt it. Hope you have a lovely day x

Post Thanks / Like

When I was asked to be godmother I asked if I could look after the baby one & took her to have a professional photo done(booked in advance) then I had it framed & gave it as the gift. X

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I make these and would be happy to make you one too.
    PM me for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Toothfairy

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

outfit - I'd go with some smart trousers and a nice top.

present how about a traditional book (or set of books) like winnie the pooh, beatrix potter and sign the cover from you
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my dd was give a lovely wooden box ( shoe box size ) that had been decorated and jewelled and had a plaque on it saying ' Sue's box of memories '.

we decopatched a wooden box a while back for someone and called it 'fred's treasure box'

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the baby a boy or a girl? - the Book People have whole Thomas the tank engine set - in a train shed book box for £35 or the complete Beatrix Potter book set for £30 - I bought my grandson the Thomas ones for his christening last week and gave money too. He also had silver money boxes, lovely crockery Hungry caterpillar plate and bowl set, an engraved hand carved welsh love spoon, childrens bible stories and lots of money. You can buy lovely Beatrice Potter pottery figures - but I couldn't find any Pottery plates or money boxes with Thomas on.

Most people went smart - dresses, smart tops and trousers, suits or shirts & ties.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the lovely ideas everyone! I've been struck with the novovirus this week so present hunting has been on hd and it's now only a week until the christening!

Will let you all know what I decided

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another nice idea for a present would be buy a star and name it after the child. You can do it on the internet and amongst other things in the presentation pack is a map showing where the star actually is.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a christening next week. I'm wearing a dress but I'm a bit unsure about it. It's a maxi dress and is lovely but I'm not good with dresses!

Christening present wise we brought a star with her name on it and have framed the certificate in a lovely baby pink frame. I like it so much I'm thinking of buying one for DD!!! It's also a joint first birthday and I didn't want to get a joint present so she's got a little tea set for her birthday.
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast