Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a little help please

As many of you know, I'm giving up minding and have been looking for another job. I spoke to someone from my old work today and they said they haven't replaced me yet which got me thinking. Before I left my boss told me if it didn't work then I was to go back. Obviously if they had a replacement I wouldn't be even thinking about it, but I'm tempted to email him and see if that offer was serious.

I generally enjoyed it, got on really well with most of the people and it's only a 5 minute walk from our house. This means no travelling costs and since it's a small town the chances of another job coming up here are pretty slim. Now the downside is my colleague - she is one of those people who thinks she is the boss when she isn't (my office manager went on maternity leave a few months after I started and she even used to try and tell her what to do!!). Office manager is due back from maternity leave at the beginning of November and we get on really well - if she wasn't going back I probably wouldn't be thinking about contacting my boss.

I really need to weigh up the pros and cons but I don't want to end up in a job which I hate, when on a whole I did enjoy this one. Am I best to go back to what I know? I'm thinking I have nothing to lose in emailing him - he may well say they have someone starting in a few weeks, but if I don't ask I'll never know - and if I don't, will I regret it?

If I do email him, I'm not sure how to word it? Any ideas?

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You have nothing to loose by emailing him xx

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, posted too early! Just say something along the lines of ' just wondering if your offer still stands for me to re-apply for my old job and if so then I am available to come in to discuss the matter on...... xx

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi sprinkles. What have you got to loose?

As for your 'favourite' colleague, you have been running your own business since you left, dealing with parents, other settings etc. maybe you would be in a more confident place to tell her to get on her bike. You could start to tell her from the first day, and this time there may be less bossiness.

Maybe wibble could pack you a big hairy set to take with you!!

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks!! Very true...I may ask wibble for a lend of some

Well, I've emailed him - just hope he replies today as I didn't sleep much last night which really isn't like me. I think it's because it feels like my "last chance", if you know what I mean? If they say no I will have to look for something else, go through the interview process all over again etc and as I've already said there is a serious lack of jobs here!

Knowing my luck they will already have someone else lined up but hey ho, may as well ask!!

7. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Thanks folks!! Very true...I may ask wibble for a lend of some

Well, I've emailed him - just hope he replies today as I didn't sleep much last night which really isn't like me. I think it's because it feels like my "last chance", if you know what I mean? If they say no I will have to look for something else, go through the interview process all over again etc and as I've already said there is a serious lack of jobs here!

Knowing my luck they will already have someone else lined up but hey ho, may as well ask!!
    Best of luck! Hope he gets back to you sppn

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is that close why not "drop in" or pick up the phone? Emails and texts are so impersonal
    Debbie

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    If it is that close why not "drop in" or pick up the phone? Emails and texts are so impersonal
    Because I'm working and I don't want everyone knowing I'm closing. He's a director so he's usually in meetings or out of office, if I email then he can answer when he's ready and got time.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sprinkles...weird how things happen, but today I've just done exactly the same...
    Weighed up pros and cons and figured that minding was where I stay for now
    However if you are seriously considering a change, do the pros and cons and maybe email could say something along the lines of if they are looking for someone to replace you still then you are interested...wouldn't hurt to ask and tbh wherever you work or whatever you do thee will be someone you don't particularly click with...rise above it Hun and keep us posted

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

12. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks folks!! Very true...I may ask wibble for a lend of some Well, I've emailed him - just hope he replies today as I didn't sleep much last night which really isn't like me. I think it's because it feels like my "last chance", if you know what I mean? If they say no I will have to look for something else, go through the interview process all over again etc and as I've already said there is a serious lack of jobs here! Knowing my luck they will already have someone else lined up but hey ho, may as well ask!!
    Throwing the hirsute orbs your way

Wibble x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

go for it! let us know how you get on xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Emailed this morning but no reply yet. I was really nervous this morning but now I'm just like 'whatever' - if he replies, he replies but I'm not going to worry about it. Everything happens for a reason, but it's hard to think like that when I got turned down for 2 jobs today

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Emailed this morning but no reply yet. I was really nervous this morning but now I'm just like 'whatever' - if he replies, he replies but I'm not going to worry about it. Everything happens for a reason, but it's hard to think like that when I got turned down for 2 jobs today
    oh hon don't think of it as turned down, just think they choose elsewhere. Often it isn't that they don't want you just that someone else is nearer, cheaper or whatever. I'll be honest I didn't choose my preferred minder when I placed my son years ago. I liked both obviously and trusted both but if I could've afforded the other one (£2/more) I would have chosen her. I'm not saying drop your prices or anythiing just keep your chin up. The ones that do choose you will be the luck ones.

Meantime if you are job hunting elsewhere as well as your old work - good luck xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    oh hon don't think of it as turned down, just think they choose elsewhere. Often it isn't that they don't want you just that someone else is nearer, cheaper or whatever. I'll be honest I didn't choose my preferred minder when I placed my son years ago. I liked both obviously and trusted both but if I could've afforded the other one (£2/more) I would have chosen her. I'm not saying drop your prices or anythiing just keep your chin up. The ones that do choose you will be the luck ones. Meantime if you are job hunting elsewhere as well as your old work - good luck xx
    I meant I had been turned down for 2 other jobs in admin - not childminding I'm not taking on any more mindees as wouldn't be fair if I plan to give up. I've applied for a few jobs over the passed couple of weeks and only one or two to hear back from - the rest have turned me down already. Jobs are so scarce here, I've only seen maybe 5 that 'may' be suitable in the last 3 weeks!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, still no reply! I did bump into someone from there at the end of last week and she said they still haven't replaced me, had over 100 applicants but couldn't decide what they wanted (someone with experience or an office junior) so it's supposedly being advertised again this week.

They've not got back to me so I'm not going to keep trying. Maybe my email has gone to his junk folder but I'm not going to make myself look desperate.

I've just applied to become a home carer, so fingers crossed! My mum suffered from MS and was diagnosed years before I was born. Therefore when I was growing up I was very involved in her care. We had lots of home carers come in and help my mum, myself and my brothers. I see this as my way of giving back! And what a rewarding job too

19. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got a reply just now. They're planning on taking on a junior and couldn't budget for my expectations....so what would have happened if I hadn't left? Bit worrying that he's implying they couldn't afford to pay me, so sounds like things aren't going too great! Probably better off away from there...the company went into administration in January and new company was formed in April, but sounds like they're not doing good either!

Job hunt continues......

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got a reply just now. They're planning on taking on a junior and couldn't budget for my expectations....so what would have happened if I hadn't left? Bit worrying that he's implying they couldn't afford to pay me, so sounds like things aren't going too great! Probably better off away from there...the company went into administration in January and new company was formed in April, but sounds like they're not doing good either! Job hunt continues......
    Well at least you know...I think the worst thing with anything is the not knowing, once you have made a decision or have been told an outcome you feel better!
    And from what you have said, you would probably be in the same situation by now anyway.
    Good luck with the job hunting xx

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Very true Sarah

I've got an interview on Friday for the home carer job I applied for yesterday fingers crossed!!

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you said, everything happens for a reason and you obviously aren't meant to return to your old job. Good to know that you're probably better off not climbing back onboard that sinking ship and you can now focus on Friday and getting that new job! Fingers crossed for you x

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'n glad you know where you stand now Sprinkles - good luck with the new venture. I'm sure you'll be fab
    Can I ask what brought you to this decision to leave?
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast