Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you charge your own children keep if they are working part time/full time

Just thought I would post this as I was interested what the general opinion was about this and what you do. If you do charge what do you charge. If you do charge do you use the money or put it away for their future.

Thank you!
    Clorogue

sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My sons twenty one, he went to uni but couldn't cope and came home, he got himself on an apprenticeship and earns about £800a month, he pays £200 month board, which I know he thinks is a lot compared to his friends but hubby and I think its fair :-)

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

From the moment I got a job my mum charged me £50 a week. I hated it at the time but now I'm older & have a mortgage, bills & my own kids I think having to pay board was a good thing. It made me realise that bills need to be paid etc

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My son pays £100 a month. I used to pay my mum when I was first working and think it's a good idea

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We are about to have this conversation with our daughter. She will be paying rent now as she has finished college, which apart from the fees which we paid, she funded herself, travel, materials etc out of her part time job.

I was thinking £50 per week which considering her brothers halls rent at Uni is £110pw plus his food I think £50 is good for all found. I will be putting it away for her as I don't need it to run the house but she needs to learn that all her pay packet, approx £800 to £1000 a month is not all available to spend.

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not there with my kids yet (eldest just started A levels) but I paid keep from when I left education and started work. I think it's important that kids learn how life really works from a young age. I have given my kids an allowance from age 13 of £25 a month and they are expected to pay for their own non essential clothes and any 'jollies'. But it stops at 16 when they are able to get a part time job

Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I paid board, £50p/w, it's really important to learn about organising your money!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Ds2 earns £160 a week, he pays £20 a week board, I keep it for him when he leaves home

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When mine were at home and earning we didn't charge them anything xx

Post Thanks / Like

Both of mine pay rent but we have put it into an account for when they want to buy their own house,they don't know about that. I think it's important that they learn bills come first x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was taken in by my aunt when I was 13 paid rent of £200 a month when I finished education and got a job.

I never minded but my two brothers and sister who stayed with my mum were always given everything for nothing. All three are now in debt don't know how to budget and find everything to do with money a struggle.

I don't earn anywhere near as much as them but due to knowing how to look after money I actually have more than them. I think not drinking helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to pay my parents. I pay £260 a month. They ensure food, heat etc. But if I want extra food etc then I have to buy for myself. I don't see it as a problem. Private rent is so expensive around here and the council won't house me so I think it's fair, I couldn't live anywhere else for that price!!

My only gripe is my brother only had to pay £200 a month!! But hey ho!!

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD is 26 and went back to Uni to do a second degree (Student Nurse) in March. She isn't allowed to work more than 10 hours a week or she loses her place, because she spends a lot of time on placement. No fees as it is an NHS funded degree, she just gets a bursary and gets an odd paid shift as a bank care assistant when she can fit it in. She pays me £30.00 a week towards food/bills.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is 18 and finished A levels - doesn't know what she wants to do next, to try to encourage her into getting a job or more hours at her life guarding job I said from Sept she had to pay £30 a week rent - however she is now off work with a bad knee, she hasn't paid anything so far for sept although she has only been off work for a week and I feel too guilty to push it as she is very depressed about her knee and the fact that boyfriend has just left for uni. I don't need the money I was going to save it on her behalf and not tell her as she is so bad at saving! When she is working she does earn nearly £120 a week - "I remember when I was a girl" (oh god I sound like my mother) that I only earnt £35 a week and had to give my mum £7 and I managed to save a deposit for a mortgage.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 sons living at home. They pay £100 each per month! I would love to be able to put the money away to give them back at a later date, but unfortunately Dh was laid off from his quite well paid job in April 2012 and although he found another job it is half what he was on, and I had to have 8 months off sick and am only back at work part time, so we need the money they pay

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a different time when I was living with my mother and started working. I was the only one of her 4 children she charged and she took 50% of my wage.

I still saved and got my 5%deposit to buy my flat x with no help from her I should point out x

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is only little so it will be a long time before she pays anything. Me personally, would take something off her, just to teach her about paying bills and managing money. I would put it a way for her (but not let her know) But... who knows in the future I may not be able to do that if my situation changes. My sister takes £100 per month from her sons, but to tell you the truth ends up giving it back through out the month lol! "Mum can I lend"...........

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on my own and although would love to put the money aside for my grown up children, it is just not possible. They have both paid £200 a month and I think its important that they do, so they understand money doesn't grow on trees and running a house involves a lot more than food.

My son has now moved out and runs his own home and I have explained to my daughter although her money is important to me she mustn't feel she has to stay (not that I want her to go). Mind you, she doesn't seem to be in any rush to go, probably because although she pays £200 she understands it wouldn't go far in her own home and staying here means she can afford a nice car and lots of holidays

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

My sons paid £40 a week board when they were working. I will charge dd once she leaves full time education(shes at college now)
    I think its a really important life lesson. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you everyone for your input, all taken on board. Really helped me set a price for my son!!

Thanks a million
    Clorogue