Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Conservatory

Registered Childminder since
    mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Conservatory

Hi just being nosy but was wondering how much you paid for yours. I have a young baby and no spare rooms so was thinking of getting a conservatory to use as a bedroom for at least the next few years for myself and hubby to sleep in. I have no idea of cost and haven't looked into sizes so just wondering how much is the average cost is and if a company or friends/family put it in.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have also started comparing cost of conservatories to building a proper brick built with tile roof extension - I found this website for company near me (so prob not near you) which had sizes and prices on - but the prices don't include the concrete baseworks (don't know about the brick dwarf walls) and doesn't include installation - but may give you an idea of costings.

New Windows Ltd - Warminster, Salisbury, Bath, Bristol areas

so for a conservatory about 4mtrs x 4 mtrs (12 x 12ft) cost of actual upvc building, windows, doors and roof glass is about £8000 plus baseworks and installation.

Haven't got any builders quotes yet to compare price of brick built room.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We're building a DIY lean to next month. It will be the 3rd we have done - so hubby will be a pro!! ;-)

Ours is 3.5m x 4m, and will cost £3200. Base is already there really, as going over a patio (otherwise in the past has cost about £400 for DH to do)

I would highly recommend underfloor heating - or it will be freezing!! We had electric before, but really expensive, so DH is doing hot water this time, teeing of radiator in the living room. Apparently not anymore expensive than rads...??? We also insulate & board up the ceiling, as it looses a lot of heat through there. As soon as we did that, (even without underfloor heating) noticed a massive difference.

All in all, this one should cost about £4000, inc everything, flooring, lighting, blinds, tv etc.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replies will look at site. Was hoping to get everything for £5000. Thanks for suggesting underfloor heating wouldn't of crossed my mind otherwise.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

DH was telling me that you must not sleep in conservatories, can't remember why will try and ask.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a conservatory I use as my playroom (don't know cost as was there before we moved in) but is freezing in winter and roasting in summer - can't imagine ever sleeping in it because of this xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to visit a childminder friend a few weeks ago - she childminds from her conservatory, she has plasterboarded her conservatory room so now looks just like a normal ceiling with spot lights in - she did this to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh please find out why we won't be able to use it as a bedroom, that is the reason of needing one, for the next few years at least, then turn it into a playroom was my plan! plasterboards with spot lights sound good to me.. I don't really need windows on either sides just the front as I don't want to be overlooking next doors garden ( semi detached) but I don't want it to be cold in there.

PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a brick built conservatory built onto our last house, walls either side with windows at the end with door, glass roof.. Cost us approx £7000. Like previous comments.. It is very cold in winter so u have to keep the heating on all the time to keep it warm.. Be aware that when its cold things get damp and mould builds up fast!! (even when clean its just the cold and mildew that forms) .. Summer you need to keep the windows, doors open as they get so hot.. Lots of flies, spiders!! I used mine as a playroom and was constantly cleaning really cannot imagine using one as a bedroom.. Maybe get a small extension priced up if you are so in need of space. X

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I will defiantly look into that! Didn't realise/think of the downside to it. We really are desperate for space as I only have two bedrooms a baby and older teenager doing GCSEs then hopefully A levels so no way can they share. The rooms aren't big enough for partition either. Thanks to everyone who replied

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

If you sleep in them the condensation damages the double glazed units and invalidates the guarantee. DH says with sufficient insulation and underfloor heating it would be ok as a bedroom but the double glazing might go misty and the company would not replace them if you use it as a sleeping area. (case in the news recently)
    A fan over head would be a good idea for summer and decent blinds,

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Chevk with planning if u plan to use it as a bedroom as I think u cant due to fire regs etc x

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you not have sofa bed for yourselves in lounge and give kids a room each? :-)
    XX Jill XX

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A brick walled, tiled roof extension I think would be far more flexible for your needs and could be used all year round - probably would cost more but would add more proper living space and extra value to your home when you want to sell it. On holiday several years ago I sat in the conservatory trying to read a book, the sound of rain (on holiday in this country!) on the roof was so loud I couldn't hear myself think, let alone read - can't imagine trying to sleep through that.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, we are moving tomorrow and the house were moving to has a conservatory it's quite big but the heating in it looks like a air conditioning unit attached to the wall above the door as you go in and apparently when you turn it on it's heated through your central heating so they tell me it's not expensive to run they did also say in the hight of winter they also put a oil radiator in there, it's a beautiful conservatory I think it was about £20,000 though, it has five doors out and properly fitted blinds and self cleaning glass, I am going to use it as a play room but not all if it, I want a comfy sofa area too. X

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We moved and I used the conservatory as a playroom for a year. . Freezing in winter and boiling in summer. Plus for some reason the previous owners didn't put any lights in there!

We rarely use it now apart as for a spare room when guests stay (no other spare room) dh is currently storing old vw car parts (but new clean parts!) in it! Am hoping that when we decorate we will use it... But as I have playroom we rarely use sitting room and of weather nice we're outside or if raining it's too noisy!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    We moved and I used the conservatory as a playroom for a year. . Freezing in winter and boiling in summer. Plus for some reason the previous owners didn't put any lights in there!

We rarely use it now apart as for a spare room when guests stay (no other spare room) dh is currently storing old vw car parts (but new clean parts!) in it! Am hoping that when we decorate we will use it... But as I have playroom we rarely use sitting room and of weather nice we're outside or if raining it's too noisy!
    You could try doing like my friend has done - she has had the ceiling plasterboarded (not sure if she has insulation above) then spot lights installed - she said she can now use it all the time for child minding and I expect the insulation and plasterboard would drown out some of the rain noise - although I think the more modern conservatories with glass rooms are quieter.

I am still undecided on whether to build a conservatory or extension to use for childminding as it would make the downstairs loo too inaccessible - I kept a log yesterday of how many times I / we used the basin for handwashing - after nappy changes, after playing in garden, after painting, before snack and lunch - how many times I went to the loo (with a conservatory I would be completely out of ear shot from the mindees) and how many times a 3 year old visited the loo (how would I hear "Sarah, I've done a poo"!) from a room so far away?

Actually now considering turning my current lounge (which I use anyway) for a dedicated playroom and building on a new lounge for us to use. Only problem is our current lounge has a lovely gas fire and surround which cost a lot of money and we wouldn't get the benefit of it.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a conservatory and it is freezing in winter and boiling in Summer like other posters have said. It is also now has damp. It is about nine years old. I would definitely go down the route of an extension room with a slanting roof with velux windows. This way the room will have more flexibility as a bedroom/play room or anything you like.