Indian chai help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Indian chai help

Hello~ just wonder if there is anyone can help me with making Indian chai? I don't know why my tea taste savoury!
    I tested the tea leaves, which I used the Indian recommended label, green cardamom, the yellow sugar started with 'j', cloves, ginger and cinnamon. I tried 3 times even tasted ingredients separately but none of these taste savoury but once I put all together, my tea became savoury... Can anyone tell me what happened?
    Please help! If you have any authentic indian chai recipe, please share with me. thanks!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sorry - I just use chai teabags!

tea pigs are good!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is the recipe I use (from Anjum Anand's 'Indian food made easy')
    350ml water,100ml milk,4 black peppercorns,10 green cardamom pods, good pinch of green fennel seeds, small shard of cinnamon,8g fresh ginger, peeled and roughly sliced, 1 tea bag, sugar, to taste, slightest pinch of salt (optional)

Heat the water, milk, spices and ginger in a pan. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and cook over a low-moderate heat for 15 minutes. Don't let the milk boil over.

Once reduced to a large cupful, add the teabag and let it brew for 1 minute, or more if you like strong tea. Strain into your cup and add sugar or salt, to taste.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recipe! I will try and see how it goes.
    Tea bag is good but I really enjoy the boiling process~~

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My other thought was maybe it's the water if you've taste tested everything else? Would a water filter help?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    My other thought was maybe it's the water if you've taste tested everything else? Would a water filter help?
    Thanks for your suggestion! I always use water filter. I tried to blew the tea leaf with water alone and it's not savory... so it must be herb that I'm using... but as I mentioned before, when I tasted everything separately, there's is no savory taste... so weird...