Help i have a biter!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help i have a biter!!!

My son is 3 and has decided to start biting the minded children, I'm so embarrassed and don't really know where to go from here.
    Obviously he has been told its not nice or acceptable and is sent to time out but he is getting a real temper and gets very angry (
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks in advance
    Kim x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

My son at 3/4 was also a biter but only at nursery and never at home around minded children so it was very strange. Because it was nursery, I was reluctant to address it at home too much.

I hope someone gives you some better advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Well apparently he's an angel at nursery which makes me angry as to why he's doing it at home ( I have minded since he was born and yrs before so can't see it's anything to do with me childminding but who knows!!!!

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's an attention thing, with you minding, he might feel pushed out (which I'm sure isn't the case!)
    I'd try to ignore as much bad behaviour as possible (obviously he needs to be told off and timed out for biting) but reward his good behaviour and make special time for the two of you
    Hopefully it's just a phase that will soon pass
    I'd also let all your parents know he's started to bite and what steps you're taking to prevent this to reassure them. Good luck!
    Kelly xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thank u so much for the advice, just feels awful to send a child home bitten and knowing its my own son doing it.
    Xxx

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Maybe it's an attention thing, with you minding, he might feel pushed out (which I'm sure isn't the case!)
    I'd try to ignore as much bad behaviour as possible (obviously he needs to be told off and timed out for biting) but reward his good behaviour and make special time for the two of you
    Hopefully it's just a phase that will soon pass
    I'd also let all your parents know he's started to bite and what steps you're taking to prevent this to reassure them. Good luck!
    Agree with above.

Poor you I can see your embarrassment. Unfortunately children go through different phases and I am sure with your careful monitoring, addressing and challenging the behavior it will pass.

Or get a muzzle (only kidding! )

7. Likes ziggy, kellyskidz! liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post

Or get a muzzle (only kidding! )
    This made me laugh out loud lol!!
    Kelly xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel, I've cared for many biters over the years-but none so bad as my own DD. She went through the most horrendous phase of about 12 weeks, aged 2 and a half ish, of biting EVERYONE, for any reason-all the usual and also just because she liked biting(more common than you think-a sensory thing, I did a bit of research!), she even crawled under the table and bit the toes of a 9m old mindee sat in a 'table hanging chair'-deliberate act-fully intended. I felt so awful for him, his toes bled and I was really upset, I thought he was safe in the chair, mum was marvellous though and ended up reassuring me . I couldn't leave her unattended for a minute, not even when I went to the loo-she had to come with me! How I kept my mindees I'll never know, the parents of the kids I minded were wonderful and so understanding that it was a phase, however awful.
    In all my years of minding, and they are many-I was stumped, all the usual disciplines failed to stop her and in the end it came down to watching her every minute, prevention, constant talking about it, and also understanding why she was biting and providing alternative, appropriate things to bite-this worked very well until the phase was outgrown.

I do hope it doesn't last long for you x

Post Thanks / Like

Thank u ever so much Ali56, it's nice to know I'm not the only one )
    Xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimskiddies View Post
    Thank u ever so much Ali56, it's nice to know I'm not the only one )
    Xxx
    It can get pretty lonely being the parent/minder of a biter-no-ones keen on a LO that bites like DD did.... DD's biting was deliberate and gave her pleasure, it was a pretty testing time! I couldn't leave her alone with the others for even a minute! I used to put her on the naughty step but then she'd wet her self to get off it..... all deliberate (and after the 4th time I told her she'd have to sit in it till her time was up!) She was really quite a 'pickle' She's 11 now and top of the class for everything, gets borrrred if she isn't occupied every minute and is still argumentative Roll on the teenage years...... I like a challenge!

Post Thanks / Like

Met a friend the other day who is minding a 3 year old biter, she was thinking of dressing him up in his Spider-Man mask all day lol!!

Hugs to you , my Dd went through a phase and its awful, you feel so embarrassed and its hard to find a way to stop it x

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave notice to a biter last week. But must say was giving notice anyway as full time child needs place. Other child still has mark on arm today (bitten last weds)

Guess if it's your own child biting you cant really give notice

I also had a child who pulled hair for no reason.

It is a difficult one and I think over the years most of my mindees have bitten at some time.

My own son bit a child when he was 2, he is now 34 and mother of child he bit still doesnt speak to me.

good luck