Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

That is scary.

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Watched this earlier on Daybreak, really scary stuff, even an 11 year old was fooled we all need to be telling the Lo's about stranger danger.

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass74 View Post
    Watched this earlier on Daybreak, really scary stuff, even an 11 year old was fooled we all need to be telling the Lo's about stranger danger.
    The way the 11yr old was fooled was even scarier!!

She clearly wanted to help the chap find his dog, and she probably thought she should help and should be helpful! Is this not what we ask of most 11yr olds!!

Of course we don't want them wandering off with strange men. So educating them on when to help and when it could be dangerous, should be priority in this age group (9-14)

We teach young children (3-8ish) not to talk to strangers because frankly, there aren't going to be many occasions when talking to strangers is necessary without a parent present.

However, with older children, talking to people they don't know is likely to happen when they are out playing or walking to school etc. so when is it ok and when is it not?? We don't want our children to be afraid to say "good morning" or have small talk with an old lady at the bus stop, or the local shop assistant etc. it's really difficult and my mind boggles!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched this this moring with my 6 year old grandson......he said if a stranger came near him he would just scream and scream........a bit extreme maybe but if it keeps him safe I'm happy for the odd embarassing moment when someone says hello to him :-) on a more serious note,....watching this sent shivers down my spine....thos ekids were so easily fooled into going off with that man....even though mum was only yards away...maybe this lulled the into a false sense of security???

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg that is scary - will be watching this later with my 7 year old and 11 year old! Was actually just talking about this with my 11 year old last night so will be good to follow on from that with her. They have been doing Internet safety at school this week - just show you how much times are changing xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be because their parents were close by. Most children have a 'safe distance' that they will go until alarm bells ring. It's strangers in cars who are the biggest danger as they take the kids far away very fast
    I teach my kids to never go in a car with someone they know, unless the mum or dad said it was OK to. Familiar adults can be a bigger danger than total strangers. Sad but true.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I was always taught as a child that if I was to ever need to talk to a stranger (lost etc) to look for a woman with a pushchair, failing that to look for an old lady.

11. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    I was always taught as a child that if I was to ever need to talk to a stranger (lost etc) to look for a woman with a pushchair, failing that to look for an old lady.
    That's a great idea.

Ds has just started going to high school on the bus. . Ok its a school bus and only school kids on it and it drops/collects them at school or down the road from home but it does worry me.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

It stuck with me forever, and as an adult now I would still do that if I was in danger? I wouldn't go wandering up to a man in an alley if I was lost, but I would a lady with a pushchair.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was often telling my daughter about stranger danger until I realised I was unconsciously only telling her about MEN 'bad man' 'strange mister' etc until a childcare course alerted me to the fact id been doing it without thinking that women can be just as untrustworthy and up to no good. Scary results from experiment, makes me shudder to think!
    Kelly xx

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ladies with pushchairs can be used as decoys! Just like people use sweets and dogs!
    We all know women can be just as guilty of child abuse as men are!

Unlikely I know and abduction is very rare, therefore sensible chats that are age appropriate is really all we can do.

Most children have more chance of being knocked down by a car than being abducted!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

We're talking about a situation where I am in danger, e.g my mother was to faint, i was to get lost in the supermarket, at a farm etc. I was told to look for a woman with a pushchair. It would have to be pretty extreme for something that terrible to happen, and a paedophile/child kidnapper to be walking past with a pushchair just at that time!

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tried to watch it on catch up but doesn't have daybreak on it - will have to try online x

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really scary. Worst still we always tell our children to be polite to others so with that its understandable the kids went with them to help find their dog/child that was "missing" How are children to know. It's really really scary. Xx

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I teach my children that they always have to ask 'their grown-up' if someone offers them something or asks them help find a lost item (dog, child). We also talk about who safe grown ups may be - in a shop (unformed staff), a playground (mother with children). I would love to test my youngest child, as my elder ones are teens now, and that opens up a whole new world of dangers.