Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car Insurance for a 17 year old

My DD is learning to drive but quotes for a car of £1300 range from £999.00 to £3600.00. Scandalous ):

Can anyone else recommend a broker or insurance company as I need to move the car tomorrow?
    Debbie

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is about to turn 17 and we are looking at Diamond. Quotes range from £610-£800 for a 1litre - 1.4 litre. These are after passing her test quotes. On a provisional quotes were £450-£610. All other companies were the prices you had said. The only thing with Diamond is that you have to pay in one go. If you want instalments the price ramps up again.
    We quoted through gocompare with myself and my husband also on the policy but her stated as main driver. They also do a 10 month policy option so they can get no-claims early

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Try putting as many adults as possible on as named drivers. Have her as the policy holder and main driver. my sister she was getting quotes like that when she passed her test but after putting me, mum, dad, my husband, brother & step mum on it brought the quote down to about £900

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

When my boys were that age I ended up insuring myself and then them as the named driver which is a bit naughty - the only drawback is cars never last long with such young drivers. I don't think number 3 son had a car in one piece for long until he was over 21!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have found out about a Company called Marmarlade. It is additional and separate to your own insurance, they are assuming your car is already insured. You can pay monthly, three monthly and I think annually and it is cheaper to pay for three months than one. It is good if you have a teenager away at Uni but home for the holidays. It works out at about £80 per month for our 20yr daughter as a learner driver.

Learner Driver Insurance | Provisional Insurance | Marmalade

It was the best we could find for us it would be on my husbands car which is a Skoda Farbia 1.1. It also doesn't affect the business cover he has for childminding as long as she does drive it with mindees in the car.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsh3103 View Post
    Try putting as many adults as possible on as named drivers. Have her as the policy holder and main driver. my sister she was getting quotes like that when she passed her test but after putting me, mum, dad, my husband, brother & step mum on it brought the quote down to about £900
    The only problem with that is that the insurance would not cover childminding, if it did the premium may be quite high.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

If its her own car then mindees wouldn't ever be in it so it wouldn't need business insurance. Or have I misunderstood? Do you want her insured on your car?

june 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    My DD is learning to drive but quotes for a car of £1300 range from £999.00 to £3600.00. Scandalous ):

Can anyone else recommend a broker or insurance company as I need to move the car tomorrow?
    The best place we found for my son was drive like a girl .They fitted a black box and after 3 months of monitoring his driving we got a rebate on his premium .This will also help reduce next year’s premiums too. Also would recommend put a female on the policy as reduced both my sons insurance and my husband’s insurance.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My friends bought a vintage mini for their teens and said vintage insurance was cheaper... might be worth looking into!

10. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a new (used) 08 car in November and decided to keep the old car X reg for my daughter - both Scenic Meganes, managed to get both cars insured with Admiral multi car policy with business use on my car, with myself and my husband to drive my car and all 3 of us to drive daughters car - her car is in her name so she gets the no claims next year, she was only 17 when we did policy and she hadn't passed test and but it was only about £650 for both cars!

When she passed text in June I just had to pay an extra £80 as she is more of a liability as a newly passed driver rather than a learner with supervision.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We used Tesco - the boys could build up their own no claims whilst being registered as named under husband.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also ask about having a black box fitted as that brings down the insurance,other insurance company's offer if they only drive between I think it's 6am-10pm brings down the cost. The insurance also goes up once they pass their test as they don't have a mature driver with them anymore. Good luck

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Got it sorted now thanks. paid £1000 but that covers both provisional and once she has got her licence, she is named owner of the car and only driver so ncb builds. What a palava - took me 3.5 hours to sort through ):

Couldn't put her as a named driver on me or hubby's insurance and we already have our ncb on two other cars ):

If anyone else is doing this, check how much the policy increases once the full licence is achieved as it is mega

Didn't know about the black box but I am having it fitted, I love the idea that I can see how she is driving on the computer, results are available 24/7
    Debbie

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Who did you go with in the end?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarsar3NCH View Post
    My daughter is about to turn 17 and we are looking at Diamond. Quotes range from £610-£800 for a 1litre - 1.4 litre. These are after passing her test quotes. On a provisional quotes were £450-£610. All other companies were the prices you had said. The only thing with Diamond is that you have to pay in one go. If you want instalments the price ramps up again.
    We quoted through gocompare with myself and my husband also on the policy but her stated as main driver. They also do a 10 month policy option so they can get no-claims early
    This was quoting £1495 when on provisional so goodness knows what it would go up to after she passed. Thanks for the link though
    Debbie

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! I'm really suspicious that Diamond is so much cheaper than everywhere else for us, however I am doing quotes with older DoBs as DD isn't 17 til end of Sept but we are trying to get quotes to know what kind of car to buy and what money to budget.
    Who is the black box insurer, I like the sound of that

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Got it sorted now thanks. paid £1000 but that covers both provisional and once she has got her licence, she is named owner of the car and only driver so ncb builds. What a palava - took me 3.5 hours to sort through ):

Couldn't put her as a named driver on me or hubby's insurance and we already have our ncb on two other cars ):

If anyone else is doing this, check how much the policy increases once the full licence is achieved as it is mega

Didn't know about the black box but I am having it fitted, I love the idea that I can see how she is driving on the computer, results are available 24/7
    Only had to pay an extra £80 when my 17 year old daughter passed her test - there was about 6 months of policy left before renewal - the scary part will be next years premium I think.

Post Thanks / Like

We found fiat punto's to be one of the cheapest around,also look for car's that are 1.2 or under :-)

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread as I have just been looking at the same for ds he is taking his test in Oct. He has had provisional insurance cover which was very reasonable but lovely hubby went out and came back with a typical boy racer car for him and the insurance is horrendous!!
    Pixie Dust

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Compare Car Insurance - Motor Insurance Comparison | Tiger.co.uk as they are a company who is online only and is geared up for young drivers.

I went through this company and they put me in touch with Ladybird and through these I now have the policy with Autosaint.

Ladybird are 01527 535 235 and I asked for the department who do the black box.
    Debbie

22. Likes rickysmiths liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast