WHEN YOU HAD YOUR BABY
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WHEN YOU HAD YOUR BABY

Lots of chat about the new prince not being strapped into his car seat correctly ....

Got me thinking about how things change ...

So tell us about when you had a baby

Did you stay in hospital ages even if there were no complications ?

Were you in and out?

Did you have a home or hospital birth?

Did the midwife carry your baby to the car?

Did you have a car seat or was it in the days when you sat in the back with baby on your lap?

Was it a traumatic or happy time for you in hospital ?

Was it a relief to get home but then you had not realised you would get no rest as you had loads of visitors ?

Over to you ....

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Lots of chat about the new prince not being strapped into his car seat correctly ....

Got me thinking about how things change ...

So tell us about when you had a baby

Did you stay in hospital ages even if there were no complications ?

Were you in and out?

Did you have a home or hospital birth?

Did the midwife carry your baby to the car?

Did you have a car seat or was it in the days when you sat in the back with baby on your lap?

Was it a traumatic or happy time for you in hospital ?

Was it a relief to get home but then you had not realised you would get no rest as you had loads of visitors ?

Over to you ....

Angel xxx
    First child they liked you to stay in so they could help and support. Had dd1 on the Thursday came home on the sunday. Now with the bed cutting they cant do that and they want you home asap.

I hated being in hospital so wanted to get home
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

With ds1 we left hospital 8 hours after giving birth. They were very busy that day but I didn't want to stay the night so was very happy to be going home!

Ds2 was born (accidently) at home after a 25 minute labour and was lovely afterwards to be here. Wish I had planned a home birth!!

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

had first baby over 30yrs ago!!!! in hospital a week after, not allowed to lift baby while visitors were there, had to ask for bottles, only given every 4 hrs. not a pleasant experience. Midwife dressed n carried baby to car.

2nd baby 1990 after 3months in hospital with placenta previa, much better experience. Had rather truamatic birth friday evening, left sunday morning, again midwife carried baby to car.

Loved getting home, far more relaxed

My grandaughter was born at home, lovely experience.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Had DS just before midnight on the Tues after emergency C section and then demanded they let me home on Thursday. I did after a few days at home really wish for no more visitors, just wanted to be left alone.
    DD was born just after 9am but then had to be taken to SCBU where she stayed for a couple of weeks. I stayed in hospital in a side room for 4 days so I could be close to her but then had to come home. Horrible coming back home without my baby. Couldn't wait to get her home but was terrified as well so insisted they send her home with an apnea monitor.

xxxx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

With Rose 6yrs ago I was in the night before to be induced and then had to stay in for 3 more nights to try to breastfeed her (not my choice) which was on a ward and I hated it and couldn't wait to get home. Once home had to clean the kitchen as hubby had wet the baby's head the night before and was so drunk he'd smashed glasses all over the kitchen floor and hadn't thought to clean it before picking me up.

With Alfie 2half yrs ago it was so much nicer, labour was shorter and easier even though I had no pain relief, had to stay in overnight as there was meconium in my waters so wanted to keep an eye on Alf. This time though it wasn't a ward as the hospital had been redecorated and it was a room with 3 beds and I was the only one until the next day. The day I came home I went to Rose's parents evening. Much better birth.
    love Sarah.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My first DD was born in 1984.
    I stayed in hospital for 10 days and DD was taken to the nursery at night, so I could sleep. Midwife carried DD out to the car in her Carrycot and placed on the back seat.
    Both my 2nd & 3rd DD's (1995 & 1997) were also born in hospital, only stayed in for 24hrs and both were carried to the car by DH in their car seats.
    DD 4 was born at home in 2002 ( which was the best experience ever!)
    My Midwife was more a friend of the family as she had been my MW for my other DD's plus most of my nieces & nephews.
    We watched The Vicar of Dibley together while DH ran up & down the stairs to our other DD's who were making cards for the new baby!
    My first birth was an all day experience but babies 2 & 4 were 3hrs from start to finish and baby 3 was just 2 hrs from start to finish.
    I just managed to get to the delivery room and climb on the bed before DD popped out. MW only managed to get one glove on and had to do a one handed catch
    Toothfairy

nov 13
    Post Thanks / Like

1st time round 5 and a half years ago I was 10 days overdue, arrived at hospital to be induced at 8pm and they told me they were too busy and might close the ward, I refused to leave lol induced me at 2am and he was born 10pm, could of gone home the next morning but stayed another night as was struggling with breast feeding, not that I got any more support by staying in, felt awful and was the only one trying to breast feed on the ward. I dressed him and oh carried him in car seat to the car.

2nd time 6months ago, 2weeks over due and went in to be induced baby was born 2am and went home 6hours later when we had really bad snow, was desperate to go home and determined not to stay in hospital any longer than needed as I didn't like it lat time. I dressed her and oh carried her out to my dads land-rover as they wouldn't let you out if you didn't have a4x4 to take you home.

I don't plan on having any more but if there was a next time I'd consider a home birth, just don't fancy the mess lol

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in for 4 days before having DD as I was induced do to pre eclampsia and my labour didn't want to start! Had her Thursday evening and left Saturday afternoon. Ha wanted to go home earlier as it was my DHs birthday on the Sunday. They wouldn't let me go until my bloop pressure settled down. In the end I jut didn't move for the whole day and managed to get it in to the high end of normal so insisted I went home.

If I ever have another I want to be in and out within a few hours.
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Post Thanks / Like

when I had dd in 1985 they told me my dates were wrong when in fact when he was born he had hydrocephalus and they had not picked it up, I was told he would not make it though the day but he did and they next day he was taken away from Wolverhampton to Liverpool and I didnt see him again for 8 days when I managed to escape from the hospital, I had a c section so they were worried about it. He died twice during his stay there but eventually came home about 2 months later.
    Then I had a miscarriage when he was 18 months and I was 20 weeks... then I had dd in 1990 and couldnt relax to give birth so she was delivered by c section she was fine and we went home next day , midwife carried her to car and she came home in car seat. xx

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I went in on my due date to be induced, something went wrong and I ended up having an emergency caesarean under GA, I woke up asking where my bump had gone lol. My mum was holding him! Lol.

I don't remember anything of that first night as I was so drugged up, the midwifes did everything for me.

I had to stay in for 3 nights, it would have been longer but they needed my bed and they knew I was going home to my mum who would look after me.

It was awful though, I wasn't allowed to pick my son up, my mum had to do all the night feeds for me, I wasn't even allowed to push the pram! I tried and soon realised why I wasn't allowed, total agony!

It's put me off for life lol

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My first one I had in hospital. I went in at 5.30 am and she was born at 11.15am. I did stay in for 3 days because I lost a lot of blood and I couldn't stand. I din't enjoy those 3 days, I hate hospitals but I was very glad I had booked an Amenity Room so I was on my own. The Registrar was lovely but the Midwives on the Maternity Ward were Witches!!

She was taken home in the car correctly strapped into her car seat!

With my second one it was all very different. He was delivered at home by his father because despite the Ambulance getting to use within 10 mins of our 999 call the baby had arrived lol! I wish he was as eager now at 18!! It was all a bit of a rush and a daze to be honest and at one point we had an Ambulance driver, a Paramedic, two Community Midwives, one with her daughter and the next door neighbour all milling around in the flat at once!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a planned home waterbirth with my daughter, just under 4 years ago. I am not a fan of hospitals and already knew that i wanted a active birth with no pain relief, so for me and my partner it was decided it would be a home birth even before i was pregnant.

It was a lovely experience. Woke at 8am with start of contractions. Partner set up water pool ready to go. By about 11am pains had gone so we just sat wathcing a few films on the couch and i fell asleep, by 6pm pains started again. 2 midwifes came around and so did my mum. The midwifes and my mum were busy drinking cups of tea whilst i was enjoying relaxing in the pool, and then by 10pm stage 3 labour pains, by 11:11pm my little girl was born into the water pool, and by 1am we were all tucked up in bed together and asleep.

Woke up the next morning and you would never had known i had even had given birth the night before. It was all calm and lovely. It was lovely having on hand 2 miwifes all to myself and everybody was able to sit and relax and watch some tv and have a good old chat.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my 1st on my due date nearly 15yrs ago they liked being hospital births than went in at 3am she was born early hours just after 6 6lb 14oz

My 2nd week early home birth only a few hours labour 7lb 4oz and picked up my daughter from school that afternoon

My 3rd few days late homebirth daddy delivered on bedroom floor as mw or 999 didn't come in time 7lb3oz
    She was tiny and had to buy prem clothes lol

My 4th waters went 3days before with no pain (which was new as usally pop in labour) but was house bound and hated it
    was due to go into hospital that morning at 11 but had home birth that morning was few hours but born by 11 haha and the hardest 8lb 4oz

i didn't have pain relief or any of my births I strongly believe in breathing technics and
    I've loved all my pregnancies and births

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my ds in hospital as they knew he was going to be small and were worried he might not be able to breath when born. I went in was induced on Monday evening and told he would be there by Wednesday.

I had no contractions and DS heart beat kept stopping so all the mw got very worried and started to prep me for c section. While they were putting all the needles in and we were waiting for someone to bring me an epidural. They decided to see how far along I was. Cue lots of swearing from mw and hollering for the baby doctor. Then lots of doctor who type machinery came in the room I was told to push and DS arrived. I got a quick cuddle the doctors took him to hook him up to the breathing machine. Then gave him strait back as he was perfectly healthy just really mini. Was able to BF strait away.

Was in total shock and was still asking for my epidural after I had given birth. Still can't believe how easy it was if I hadn't been there I wouldn't believe I would of had it.

Was meant to stay till he weighed 5lb but they had a rush of emergency cases and as he was in reality fit and healthy they let me go after two nights.

No one saw us out, oh carried ds in his car seat but no one checked. Went tescos and brought dolls clothes to fit ds.

I then had two weeks of doctor visits every day till he reached 5lb in weight.

Gosh think this is my longest post ever.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive only had one and i wont be repeating it any time soon. I developed pre eclampsia very quickly and quite severely. It was picked up when I was 29 weeks and was admitted straight away. At that point my blood pressure was slightly elevated and I was showing protein.

48 hours later i was released with tablets to control the BP. Went back in 5 hours later with my liver hurting. Within 12 hours of this my kidneys started to hurt too and baby stopped moving.

So from diagnosis on tuesday at the midwife appointment it moved really fast and i had an emergency c section on the saturday evening. I had a super special little man and only found out he was a boy during the c section as we had declined to find out before. He weighed 2lb 3 oz and while i spent a mere 4 days in hospital before begging to be let go he stayed until 6 days after his due date. He was oxygen dependant, suffering from lung disease. He also suffered with 2 inguinal hernias before reaching 5 months old.

He has come through all of this and become such a wonderful little man who every one falls in love with. He has won me quite a few of my contracts lol, just with his amazing personality. He no longer has any difficulties and all of our fears of him suffering with his chest have been proven unnecessary.

Who can tell I am proud of the boy he is becoming before my eyes?

Best thing for me (besides having him in my life) is I got away with no stretch marks and was back in my size 10 jeans 3 weeks after having him. Wish I could fit in those jeans now mind you lol x

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my ds5 in 2008 It was the most traumatic thong I've ever been through. They picked up on the scans that he had club foot but were worried there was going to be other health problems. so at the birth there was me (obviously) DH, 2 midwives, surgeon, consultant 2 doctors.
    Luckily it was just the club foot. I had to stay in for 3 days because he needed his legs setting in plaster.
    My 2nd ds was in 2012. I had him at 12.30am I was home & doing the school run by 8.30am. Was a perfect birth

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my dd in dec 85, stayed in for 5 days and the midwife did carry her to the car. No car seat just on my lap, by the time ds was born in 87 the first rear facing seat had just come out I was asked how long I wanted to stay in I asked for 5 again but was told you don't get that long anymore

First delivery by forceps after 6 hrs in labour, 2nd one just about got to hospital in time

Coming out was a real shock with dd as had so much support in hospital but it all came routine in a few days at home.
    Cath

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

With my ex being in the US air force, my 4 were all born in Air Force hospitals (ages 32,31,25,21) - I got either a room to myself or shared with another mum, someone used to come round every half hour offering juice, tea, coffee - ensuite shower room, T.V. and stayed in 5-7 days. Didn't want to go home!!!

Sigh... those were the days..

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Went in on Thursday evening with pre-eclampsia and had her on Saturday. Came home Monday night. After my doctors check she just said "you can leave whenever you are ready". It was almost tea time so I waited until it was served as I knew I wouldn't be cooking anything when I got home. I packed and we left. Nobody came to check that she was in her car seat or anything. I sat in the back seat of our car, leaning over her incase she flopped out of her car seat! I cried all the way home as the emotions had just kicked in! It was November when we went in hospital and December when we came out and I remember noticing Christmas lights and decorations everywhere and thought how much everything had changed since our journey there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast