Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munch149 View Post
    This is kind of what I want to do but my oh mentioned the idea to family members as he wasn't so keen and now everyone is making me feel guilty about even thinking about it
    that's why we kept quiet. however, I think to do something like this you have both got to be on board. what doesn't he like about it - not having lots of people there or just las vegas. if it's about upsetting people then maybe try a beach wedding somewhere instead and nearer (europe) so more people can come?

I wouldn't have done it if I'd thought it would upset my parents or his. I knew my mum was fine with it as she said to me years before "I know you'll just come home one day and tell me you are married" (or maybe it was a hint so I'd save her money ). I took this as her blessing that she wouldn't mind.

On coming home though I think my dad was a wee bit disappointed as my sister also go married abroad - she told everyone but he never got to walk either of us down the aisle.
    Last edited by The Juggler; 25-07-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't want a big wedding but is just so worried about upsetting people. It was always my dream to have a beach wedding and be was always ok with this but now it comes down to actually arranging it he's changed his mind because his grandparents wouldn't go and that would upset him. Everything i suggest tho seems to get out down and to be honest its starting to lead me to think that it's just excuses as he doesn't want to do it at all. I know that's not true really but just bugs me. We are going to visit a venue on the tenth August and just waiting to see what his excuses are on this one. My annoyance is the price with this tho

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't want a big wedding but is just so worried about upsetting people. It was always my dream to have a beach wedding and be was always ok with this but now it comes down to actually arranging it he's changed his mind because his grandparents wouldn't go and that would upset him. Everything i suggest tho seems to get out down and to be honest its starting to lead me to think that it's just excuses as he doesn't want to do it at all. I know that's not true really but just bugs me. We are going to visit a venue on the tenth August and just waiting to see what his excuses are on this one. My annoyance is the price with this tho
    well to look at it another way. if he's going to be stressed his grandparents won't be there he won't enjoy the day (I don't think it's excuses not to marry) and looking on the brightside if they all go to the beach with you, you may have them for your whole honeymoon.

so have a small wedding here then escape to the sun together with no-one else around xx

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is my second marriage.

Married on my 40th birthday 5 years next week.

Married at Manchester town hall. Had the whole place to ourselves. Big sit down meal and then bacon , sausage and roast veg butties for an evening snack.

We had a disco but it was a rock type disco.

50 guests - lots of kids who had bespoke goodie bags to open on each of their seats.

Cake was cupcakes

Dress cost £1000 paid by my parents. Plain but beautiful and in ivory which shocked everyone. Tiara loaned off sister.

Three bridesmaids and three little flower girls

Cost...... £14,000!!!!!!!!!

And worth every minute.

Still talked about by my cousins as the best wedding ever!

Wibble the emotional x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

5. Likes charleyfarley, funemnx, The Juggler liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

well to look at it another way. if he's going to be stressed his grandparents won't be there he won't enjoy the day (I don't think it's excuses not to marry) and looking on the brightside if they all go to the beach with you, you may have them for your whole honeymoon.

so have a small wedding here then escape to the sun together with no-one else around xx
    True thanks

7. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post
    This is my second marriage.

Married on my 40th birthday 5 years next week.

Married at Manchester town hall. Had the whole place to ourselves. Big sit down meal and then bacon , sausage and roast veg butties for an evening snack.

We had a disco but it was a rock type disco.

50 guests - lots of kids who had bespoke goodie bags to open on each of their seats.

Cake was cupcakes

Dress cost £1000 paid by my parents. Plain but beautiful and in ivory which shocked everyone. Tiara loaned off sister.

Three bridesmaids and three little flower girls

Cost...... £14,000!!!!!!!!!

And worth every minute.

Still talked about by my cousins as the best wedding ever!

Wibble the emotional x
    Wish I had that sort of money to spend but to be honest if I did it would go on a deposit for a house anyway

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

We got married 1 year ago this Sunday and was one of the best days ever :-)

I wore a champagne aline strapless dress - I was meant to be wearing a blush coloured dress but the shop altered it so badly i had to get a new one a few weeks before the wedding!!
    My shoes were purple - loved them!

My 2 adult bm's wore Cadbury purple one shoulder short dresses and the 4 Los wore fuschia pink.

We got married outside at a converted oast house (amazingly the rain stayed off for the day but I had a brolly and wellies at the ready!!), was a beautiful setting.

I had a splitscreen camper as my transport and DH bought along his beloved MK2 golf gti.

We had cupcakes with a small cake as a top tier.

We had a sit down BBQ and paella during the day and in the evening - beery cheese on toast and bacon baps

And a DJ in the evening - he played some shocking music, and was rubbish!

Aww thanks Angel, how lovely to reminisce on such a beautiful time of my life!!

10. Likes charleyfarley, The Juggler liked this post
    July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Carlyle View Post
    I got married in August 2002 aged 20. We don't like big weeding or any fuss (we live going to other people's and sharing their day but lots if people just isn't us). So with that in mind we went to the Dominican republic for 3 weeks. The first week to try and get used to the temperatures, married the second week and honeymoon the third. If it were up to us we would have we t on our own just the two of us but ended up with both sets of parents there which was ok. I got up on my wedding day, had brunch on the beach then went to get my hair done. Once my hair was done I went back to my room to do my makeup and put my dress on (mum helped). Once ready I got a horse and cart to the pavilion where my husband, in laws and dad were waiting. My dress was a two piece (bodice and skirt) and my husband wore his traditional kilt! We were married at 4pm, got photos taken all over the resort and beach. Went back to our room to change my dress (into something lighter) and hubby's shirt then went to a lovely sit down meal in one of the posh restaurants. It cost £4500

On returning to the uk we had a reception 3 weeks later (for both sets of parents benefit which I refused to pay for) so no idea what it cost. There was a proper sit down meal with a band, no later buffet but plenty of wedding cake. It was lovely to see everyone but I was plastered and in my bed by 11pm lol.

We are still together 10 years this year.
    Your wedding sounds so much like ours.

I never wanted the big white wedding, it just wasn't me so we went to Dominican Republic which totally amazing When we first told people we were getting married abroad we didn't think anyone would come with us but that didn't bother us. As time went on more and more people came and said they wanted to come, in the end there were 13 of us.
    We had to be there a week before we got married but the wedding co-ordinator organised everything and we could enjoy our holiday until the big day. Although on the first day my Dad decided to sunbathe and NOT put any sun cream on, yes can you believe how stupid he was!! He never realised how intense the sun was and OMG how bad his legs were. The blisters were horrendous, he could hardly walk, although I do think it was put on towards the end so he still got us waiting on him I really didn't think he could walk me to the pagoda so asked my uncle as a back up luckily the day before the wedding his legs were a lot better. But my dopey Dad forgot his shirt so had to borrow one!!
    It was a fantastic day, while Daz and everyone else were in the pool I was having my hair and nails done before returning to the room and having a couple of Sambuca shots
    I just had a cream shift dress with sandals I could wear again, neither of which I did wear again my Dad walked me down the isle so to speak and my Son was bestman, oh and my cousin was last minute bridesmaid. The actual wedding cost £350 on top of our holiday costs which was about £3000, not bad for 2 weeks in the sun for 3 plus a wedding Yes everyone else paid for themselves.
    The minister was so funny, kept saying our surname wrong, so everyone was in hysterics and the only word we had to say was YES!! the ceremony was in Spanish and we had to get the certificate translated into English when we got home. We had photos on the beach and I would definitely recommend my type of wedding to anyone

We were back by the pool relaxing as soon as the photos were over and other guests were sending over bottles of wine to congratulate us when we sat down to lunch. On the night time we had our reception meal where they decorated the table and chairs, everyone had a great time.

The hotel even decorated the bed and put a bottle of champagne in the room, we loved every minute of our day and the holiday.

When we got home we had a reception for all the friends and family that couldn't make it before I upped and left for a life in sunny Southampton.

No matter how we got married, how much we spent or where it happened we all loved our special day

What about your special day Angel

Carol xx

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wish I had that sort of money to spend but to be honest if I did it would go on a deposit for a house anyway
    We sold his house as I have a house already... We are not rolling in it!

Wibble the thrifty x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got married for the second time 3 years ago, got married in a registry office with our 5 children and went for a pub lunch afterwards. Then on the saturday a couple of days later had food, drinks etc for family and friends with vegetarian Thai buffet at a local pub - it was nice and relaxed as we wanted it. I made cakes with lots of strawberries and cream, wedding rings were Tibetan and cost £5 each (and yes have turned my finger black!!!) and that was about it, went to Cornwall for a week on our honeymoon (with youngest dd who was 3 at the time).......

16. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becci26 View Post
    We got married 1 year ago this Sunday and was one of the best days ever :-)

I wore a champagne aline strapless dress - I was meant to be wearing a blush coloured dress but the shop altered it so badly i had to get a new one a few weeks before the wedding!!
    My shoes were purple - loved them!

My 2 adult bm's wore Cadbury purple one shoulder short dresses and the 4 Los wore fuschia pink.

We got married outside at a converted oast house (amazingly the rain stayed off for the day but I had a brolly and wellies at the ready!!), was a beautiful setting.

I had a splitscreen camper as my transport and DH bought along his beloved MK2 golf gti.

We had cupcakes with a small cake as a top tier.

We had a sit down BBQ and paella during the day and in the evening - beery cheese on toast and bacon baps

And a DJ in the evening - he played some shocking music, and was rubbish!

Aww thanks Angel, how lovely to reminisce on such a beautiful time of my life!!

i had purple shoes (and flowers) too

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was married to my now ex husband in 1979. It was a church wedding. I had a white dress that my auntie made, I had a short veil with hearts round the edge that matched the trim on my dress. I had my 3 little nieces as bridesmaids and 2 nephews as pages. My mum mad all their outfits, brown velvet for the boys and peach colour for the girls. We had a sit down meal in a church hall for 98 guests and a buffet and bar in the evening with a disco. Half the guests were scottish and when they found out the bar was free, we went through about 15 bottle of whisky! But they all had a good time. I don't know they cost but it wasn't a lot as my parents didn't have lots of money.

My daughter got married 2 years ago and wore my veil. Their wedding cost £24,000, £20,000 of which they saved themselves

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

1998, Registry office, £30 dress from Camden market, 3 friends as witnesses, flowers from the park, 'reception' at home on the floor (we didn't own a dinner table), rice, lentils and semolina pudding. It probably doesn't get much simpler than that.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Which one??

First - was 1993 I got married in a registry office on top of the local shopping centre multi-storey car-park in Maidstone. I had a cream lace cocktail dress bought for £30 in a sale in an ordinary shop. Went to a pub for a sit down roast dinner after. Only had about 30 people in total come. It was February and trying to snow. No evening do. We went for a honeymoon weekend in Shrewsbury in a rental car as I crashed mine 2 days before the wedding on the way to my hen night. No fancy cars, no photographer, I wasn't going to have flowers but my Mum bought me some. We arranged the wedding in 3 months.

Second - was 2003 I got married in Hertford registry office. I had a cream bodice and skirt bought for £90. Went to the pub that I worked in in the evenings for a buffet. DS was best man at 10, DD was bridesmaid at 5 (she came out in spots the next day). Only had about 30 people again. It was March and on my birthday. No official evening do but DH, me and a few friends went to Chicagos in Harlow for the night. No Honeymoon but my parents had DS and DD for the night. No fancy cars, no photographer. I had a bunch of tulips for my flowers. We arranged the wedding in 3 weeks!!!!! I also spent the day trying to disguise the fact that I wanted to throw up as I found out I was pregnant 5 days before the wedding (my witness was doing the same as she found out the same day too!)
    Last edited by tulip0803; 29-07-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12