Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Party bags

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Party bags

Murphs story made me chuckle , but has started me thinking about party bags ( ds party in July)

What youre view? I think they cost a packet for the number of children and are a waste of money. Its like keeping up with the jones's sometimes what is in them , or its full of cr'p that ends up snapped or in the bin.

Im not doing them this year , but will that go down like a lead balloon?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw these a while ago on Pinterest as a party bag alternative and thought they would be great...
    Sarah x

image-1532619905.jpg
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

And these....love these...
    Sarah x

image-3002544433.jpg
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

4. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post
    mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just get cellophane come bags and fill them with sweets. Don't know about your children but mine are normally only interested in the sweets! I have had named wooden labels made to go on the bags and some children have tied them onto their book bags etc for school. Has your party got a theme? We went to a seaside party and the party bags were buckets and spades and a few things in the bucket. Another thing we have done before is buy a set of books and children taken a book home each. Things for their hair are always a winner for the girls.... football for boys??? I try not to spend more than £1.50 for each party bag. I'm like you on the party bag contents. All the little things you can get to go in them just get abandoned in our house!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think they are a total waste of space HOWEVER the children love receiving them.

A piece of cake, a pk of sweets and a notepad went in mine
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our last party i got the children a colouring pack with crayons in , picked them up from the pound shop, the little ones had peppy pig, boys had fireman Sam . Party before that , my friend makes bracelets with the children's names on and all her profit goes to he hospitals neonatal unit that looked after her prem baby before she passed away . I can't stand all the sugary sweets and plastic c**p

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I usually get books and wrap them up with a packet of sweets and then its a 'lucky dip' draw when its time to go home along with a piece of cake!

9. Likes littlemiss60561 liked this post
    Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I put a limit of a £1 on each, at the last party I got 8 big bags of sweets and 2 packs of party cups from the pound shop, that did 16 cups of sweets

At my daughters party they all decorated a cup with ceramic pens which I already had and paper bags with foam stickers, each so had a cup & piece of cake in a bag

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No more party bags here as my two are grown up. But, strangely, I used to love doing the party bags. We used to have themed parties, jungle, pirates etc and I used to pick up bits and pieces over the preceding months to match the theme. It was never expensive stuff but I don't think it has to be, children don't have the same criteria as adults.

13. Likes Maza, chriss liked this post
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a local ice cream farm and shop so this year I got a voucher for each child, there was enough sweets in the pinarta ;-0

Was my DS b day party yesterday,had a gr8 day and the ice cream stall hubby made went down very well - it's been re-opened today too.

Glitter Guest

The most popular party bags I ever gave out were a helium balloon (only £1 each from local cheap card shop) with a 10p bag of haribo as a weight on the end of the string.
    Only had 8 guests so it worked out cheaper than lots of sweets and small toys.
    Children and adults loved them and the balloons lasted for weeks.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I usually get books and wrap them up with a packet of sweets and then its a 'lucky dip' draw when its time to go home along with a piece of cake!
    Oooo i like this idea! DDs birthday is in sept and she is already planning her party! Thankfully she wants her paddling pool out in the garden so nice and cheap of the weather holds out for us! Hate doing party bags! All the cheap crap in them does my head in!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually get a pack of books from Costco or the book people. The books tend to work out at £1 or less each. Then a small bag of haribo, or bubbles and a piece of birthday cake.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Think they are a total waste of space HOWEVER the children love receiving them.

A piece of cake, a pk of sweets and a notepad went in mine
    total waste of space and money. usually full of stuff kids lose or chuck in the bin. i refuse to waste money on them. in my party bag goes the cake and sweets from a pinyata if we've had one. that's it! party's cost enough money as it is - am I really tight?
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone , I glad its not just me then!

This year Q is having a football tournament party for his 7th birthday on Saturday.
    I got a job lot of trophies from ebay - they have worked out about£2 each. I added up the costs of bags , sweets , toys etc and it would have cost about the same and would have mainly ended up in the bin - so they can have a trophy in one hand and a bit of cake in the other. Part of me thinks they'll love it - but the realistic part of me knows that after the trophy presentations at the end of the tournament they will still expect a party bag to leave with!!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Murphs story made me chuckle , but has started me thinking about party bags ( ds party in July)

What youre view? I think they cost a packet for the number of children and are a waste of money. Its like keeping up with the jones's sometimes what is in them , or its full of cr'p that ends up snapped or in the bin.

Im not doing them this year , but will that go down like a lead balloon?
    Why not make things at the party instead? Buy a load of little paper masks and as much glitter/feathers/beads/whatever as you want and let the kids go to town on them.

It would probably mean more to them than plastic crap plus you don't have to sort out as many party games for them!

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I love making them up, and sharing the leftovers Kids love them, even as they get older mine feel cheated if theres no party bag full of sweets n crap lol

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter had a Rapunzel party last year. So i brought them all an A4 canvas from the pound shop and a load of marker pens (from the pound shop too!!). As Rapunzel likes to draw .They all did a drawing on the canvas. Funnily enough they all drew her in her tower. And they took that away with a piece of cake and a balloon. I hate party bags too. My daughters canvas is still on the wall now. Its a nice keepsake.