Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holidays...do u enjoy them?

I go on holiday to Lanzarote next week...3 weeks all inclusive, 5* hotel,lots of sunshine,no children with us...but I don't want to go! I feel so ungrateful as I know this is such a luxury for so many people,parents keep saying "I bet you can't wait..""You must be getting excited..." NOooo I' m not!!! and I feel like this every year.
    WHY..... 3 weeks without pay, paperwork to catch up on, leaving 2 boys at home and the ultimate dread of stripping to your bikini and being 2stone overweight!!!
    Am I being ungrateful and shallow ladies? Hubby loves his holiday and I feel like a real cow not enjoying it...anybody else feel like this?

Sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit of a home-bird. I enjoy being at home with a week off, pottering about getting jobs done & spending some quality time with my family. We're due to go on a fab holiday to Rome... All the way by train. It'll be an adventure & the kids now ages 15 & 11 will always remember it. This is what I keep telling myself!! But I don't want to go!!! Hubby has always wanted to go to Rome & children are so excited but I'm dreading the countdown to last week of July. In usually so excited for end of school & long summer holidays. I feel so mean not bubbling with excitement

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Since childminding I have loved every single holiday i have with my partner and little girl, even if it is just a family day all together tucked up at home. I love the feeling of no work, but then i am really quite organised paperwork wise so have nothing to come home too. And not earning doesnt bother me because i sort my money out throught the year so i always have money each week.

When i worked in an office though i really hated having 2 weeks off and someone else looking after my team, because you could guarutee that by the time i came back there would be loads of paperwork to do as the stand in manager would not have done the tasks that they were meant to do, normally someone on the team would be in trouble for something meaning more meetings and paperwork, and you could always count on the company changing something major to the system/process causing major headaches all round.

How old are your boys? Im assuming over 16? I couldnt leave my little one at home, it would devastate me, but then she is 3. Maybe i wont feel like this when she is 18 though right now a holiday to me is time for me and my little family to have quality time together without any disruptions from anyone, and time to just relax and laugh.

Cassie, Once you get on holiday do you enjoy it? Is it just the build up that gets to you?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cassie, you are entitled to a holiday. It is not anyone's business where you go, who you go with and how long. So long as you care for the children to the best of your ability that's all the parents need to be concerned about!

I used to worry about my paperwork in my old job in an office because no one used to do it but your paperwork in CMing shouldn't increase and that's why I enjoy my time off a lot more!

And don't worry about how you look in a bikini.....you look better than me in one!

Have a nice time

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I hate about taking holidays is not getting paid Lol! I love my holidays. Weather I stay in the UK or go abroad but I do go back to the same place time and time again, Florida, it's become home from home. I know holidays can be very stressful, try and relax and enjoy!! I am guessing once you are there and get familiar with your hotel, surroundings etc you will be fine, may take a few days. The anticipation can make you feel a little strange.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love mine although I'm very good at shutting off work every Friday at 6pm and not thinking about it until Monday at 8am. I've got a two week break in 4 weeks and can't wait.
    The only thing that I don't enjoy is when we get there and I realise I've still got the same two arguing kids and spending a whole 2 weeks with my hubbie is hard going....lol. It's like going on holiday with three kids and I wish he'd just grow up other than that I plan to enjoy myself.

You really shouldn't have any paperwork to catch up on.....I can't think of anything that I would need to do after coming back other than moan that its work on Monday
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to go on holiday bizarrely because I LOOOOOVE the feeling when I come home, to my lovely bed, warm bath and familiar comforting surroundings.

If I didn't go, I wouldn't be able to come back.

Is this normal?

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my holidays but i'm like a zombie for the first few days back until my brain switches back to work mode!

Just got back from 2 weeks in Fuerteventura and we're going away again for 2 weeks at the end of July parents were given 9 months notice but I still feel guilty and am trying to budget now to compensate the lack of pay.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Holidays... just hate the packing and unpacking!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My boys are 21 & 26 but i still worry when i leave them.I think it's worse as i work from home, i don't want to come back to any damage. I do relax a little when we reach our resort but that's because i know i can't do anything for 3 weeks...but i am still counting down the days.I am a homebody (like you Cottonsocks) and would rather potter about the house and spend time with family. The paperwork side is on-going. As my last Ofsted was 41/2 years ago i'm sure another visit is immenent, so trying to keep everything up- to- date. I feel as if my life is on hold at the moment waiting for them.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

nope I would love it i might find 3 weeks a long time and I'd prefer not all inclusive as I like to find places to eat every night but sun and chilling - I'm there.

why not see if you can get your paperwork up to date before you go -that way one less thing to stress about when you are away. Also get yourself some fab reading material and just enjoy!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the build up as I end up doing everything and oh gets stressed and grumpy. Then half way through the build up to come home crops up again. The last time we actually went away oh got so stressed we gave up and came home as he was having panic attacks because of being in a strange place. I have out it off for so long now as I don't think he will ever be any better.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate having to choose which clothes to take - I have some nice clothes that I have bought for parties, weddings etc and would love to take ALL of them with me to wear out in the evenings for meals but with such a tiny luggage allowance I have to make choices - I would love to go on a cruise just to be able to wear my posh frocks but I think I would get bored as I like to be active. Trying to choice where to go on holiday next year to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and my X0th birthday - can only take 2 weeks, want it to be a holiday of a lifetime, but don't know if I want culture and history, architecture, landscapes and wonders of the world or wildlife!!! And probably not a posh frock in sight. Probably somewhere long haul, have been to Florida & Peru - any suggestions where next?

Cassie hope you really enjoy your holiday when you get there - I bet you don't want to leave all of us really, that's why you aren't looking forward to going.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    I don't like the build up as I end up doing everything and oh gets stressed and grumpy. Then half way through the build up to come home crops up again. The last time we actually went away oh got so stressed we gave up and came home as he was having panic attacks because of being in a strange place. I have out it off for so long now as I don't think he will ever be any better.
    oh hon. that's sad

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I hate having to choose which clothes to take - I have some nice clothes that I have bought for parties, weddings etc and would love to take ALL of them with me to wear out in the evenings for meals but with such a tiny luggage allowance I have to make choices - I would love to go on a cruise just to be able to wear my posh frocks but I think I would get bored as I like to be active. Trying to choice where to go on holiday next year to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and my X0th birthday - can only take 2 weeks, want it to be a holiday of a lifetime, but don't know if I want culture and history, architecture, landscapes and wonders of the world or wildlife!!! And probably not a posh frock in sight. Probably somewhere long haul, have been to Florida & Peru - any suggestions where next?

Cassie hope you really enjoy your holiday when you get there - I bet you don't want to leave all of us really, that's why you aren't looking forward to going.
    if you don't want posh frocks and like culture and old ruins, then recommend mexico. vietnam is lovely too

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

oh hon. that's sad
    It is but ive accepted it now weve been together 14 years. I think weve been away 3/4 times?

My son has said he wants to go to disney for his birthday this year so he has till december to build all the stress levels up again.

Dec 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Awaiting ins
    Non childminder member
    Trainee childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww Cassie big hugs, sorry to read your feeling down about your holiday.

One of my biggest regrets was booking and paying for a holiday to zante when i was 18 with my friend and then 2 days before we were due to go my nerves got the better of me and i didnt go. And to this day i wish i had. :-(

Just bite the bullet you only live once and have a FANTASTIC time!

And maybe if money is a worry you could look at changing the way you charge?

Im struggling to get a holiday for me and my daughter as its just the 2 of us and the prices are sky high :-( x
    Amanda's Little Pandas Childminding

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you feel like this :-(

I'm the complete opposite I work my butt off just so we can jet off

All my parents know I work full time and sometimes extra hours just so I get my holiday :-D
    wow 2012 already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    My Dh is like this a bit too.: not panic attacks but a real home bird, barely made a week in Portugal this week.. Worst thing is the rest of us don't want to come home and he is saying he can't wait which kinda ruins the end of the Hol for us!!