Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do any of you have curly hair?

I am hoping some of you do and will have some great advice!!!

I have longish curly, frizzy hair and I hate it! I tend to just tie it up in a ponytail to try and tame it. However have had this style all my life and at the ripe old age of 34 am sick of looking like a school girl. My hubby has hinted that it's time for a change and he's right!

Do any of you lovely ladies have any suggestions? Even when I wear it down it is the same style as I have always had and I never look any different!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry cant help you, mine has a wave but nothing ghd's cant sort x good luck with answers though

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Most hair dressers will offer a consultation if you are looking for a change. Ask friends whose hair you like where they get theirs done and who by. Then make an appointment for a consultation and see what they suggest.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like my hair - completely untameable! What about a new haircut? Something short, above shoulder length? You could also have a deep conditioning treatment at the same time which might help the frizz. Alternatively, if you have time in the mornings, why don't you look for different style to try? Loads of ideas online. Good luck. Let me know - maybe you'll inspire me to try something other than a ponytail too!

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto. I have a heap of frizz which I hide in a ponytail. Dont have time for straightening or any of that marlarky. Goodluck hope you find something you like. And let me know what it is lol.

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about a Brazilian blow dry (not to be confused with Brazilian bikini wax lol)
    It's a keratin treatment, a friend of mine is a hairdresser and she did this for my daughter its a time consuming process but she did it for a good price as it can be expensive, I have seen a home treatment on amazon for about £30 it has had loads of good reviews so maybe have a look.
    its really important to use correct shampoo for after care hairdresser may try to sell you very expensive one but we got loreal sulphate free one
    strange when you use it has it dosent foam up think thats what the sulphate does but it will strip the keratin out of the hair.

Hope this helps xx

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi as an ex hairdresser all I can advise( without seeing your hair) is if you haven't already got a good hd that you feel you really trust then ask around- if you see someone with similiar hair to yours in a style that you quite like then ask them for the name of their hd, they won't be offended infact they will be quite chuffed! then book an app. for a chat. Normally I would say that unless you can spend alot of tme on your hair then often a really good short cut is the best way to go, also there are lots of defrizzing lotions and potions on the market that might be worth ago-John Frieda has one called ( I think) Frizz Ease hth xx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

How curly is your hair? Instead of trying to tame it why don't you go with it and make it really proper curls - can look really stunning - maybe add a bit of colour.
    My friend has curly hair and its gorgeous. Its really long and I was horrifed when she said she was getting it cut but she had it shaped on her neck - cut in to the shape of her head and then loose and flowy at the front around her face. Not sure how to describe it but it looks great.
    I have the opposite problem my hair is lank and flat and looks really appalling!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm in the curly camp - total crystal tips lookie likie. my hair is always scraped into a ponytail or into a huge grip. I've tried afew styles but other than curly bob, or wearing it down (which drives me crackers) it's always in an up do.

If you have the time and patience to straighten then it can look lovely but mine took an hour to straighten even when I had a super short bob for my 40th. I gave up - lol!

If you want to wear it down and long - or even wearing it up - best tip ever I had was to use conditioner as product. So no expensive non-frizz treatments, mousses. Wet hair or wash with shampoo, towel dry and brush then scrunch conditioner (or conditioner and little water mix) through your hair. it stays frizz free all day. I don't use anythign fancy just whatever conditioner matches my shampoo of the moment and you smell lovely all day
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

im 26 with mega cury hair - i have it straight or dry it into a natural wave curl it with ghds or even let it dry burly or dry it into ringlets

best tip i have is have it cut by someone with who is used to curly hair or curly hair theirself!!!

i use argan oil or olive oil which tames and treat my hair as i bleach it too and as u kno curly hair is very fragile!! xxx

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

ohhhhh n a super cheap and very effective treatment... hot oil - and not VO5.... extra virgin olive oil in a little put heated in a jug of hot water onto your hair before shampooing and then use conditioner!! x

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is really curly and frizzy as well. I've now decided to just go with the curls because den when I straightened it the frizz and a kink remained.

I use a good quality anti frizz shampoo and conditioner and a decent mousse and now mousse and wear it down most days! I still tie it back if I need to and occasionally straighten it. But this is so much easier, take me less than 2 mins to do and I'm always being complimented on how good it looks!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ringlety curls or a big afro frizz depending on the weather

Mine is now shoulder length with layers cut in (otherwise it goes triangular) and I always condition then use either Frizz-ease's 'Dream Curls' spray or Avon do a serum (orange bottle) if I want looser,softer curls.

I have had it chemically straightened in the past but was SO hard to maintain as it still needed the straighteners on it each day-plus everyone said they missed my curls

Embrace your twizzles!!

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm the same a migimoo - ringlets curls or afro frizz! I'm a self confessed GHD addict - however if its raining or humid then there's no point. I find it easier now my hair is long as the weight holds it down a bit! My mum always insisted my hair had to be short as you couldn't have long curly hair - I hated it and grew my hair as soon as I left home. I have been growing my fringe our for the last year and am on a quest to find a product that will make hair stay curly without frizz or turning my curls crunchy solid on holiday - we're off to hot and humid Florida so no point in even packing the straightners - my hair will curl and frizz the moment we step off the plane

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice.

Will have a look on the internet for new style ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Natural curly hair !! I use frizz eaze... Have tried all sorts and wasted loads of money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mummyjo View Post
    I am hoping some of you do and will have some great advice!!!

I have longish curly, frizzy hair and I hate it! I tend to just tie it up in a ponytail to try and tame it. However have had this style all my life and at the ripe old age of 34 am sick of looking like a school girl. My hubby has hinted that it's time for a change and he's right!

Do any of you lovely ladies have any suggestions? Even when I wear it down it is the same style as I have always had and I never look any different!
    Oooh I would love curly hair ha

My friend had the same problem and had a really good cut and now straightens it and it looks lovely

Hope you come up with a new style

Angel xx