Changing Career Advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    BuggsieMoo Guest

Default Changing Career Advice

As much as I love working as a cm, I am moving to a new area in a few months and am contemplating continuing as a cm. I am currently studying my BA Hons in Childhood and Youth Studies and id ideally like to get into school work.

Can someone advise re Early Year Teacher roles and Teaching Assistant Roles.

Do I contact the local schools of the local authority to enquire about positions?

Thanks all

Bugs xx

2. Likes SamBaker liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

If you contact the LA they should be able to give you a list of vacancies. When i worked in a school we used to get a monthly newsletter type thing from the LA every month with new vacancies.

BuggsieMoo Guest

Thank you. I shall give them a call and hopefully they will have a list. x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Local Authority advertises them on-line so it might be worth a look and I did read somewhere that any teacher and I presume that includes a TA has to hand in their resignation prior to 31st May to allow the school to recruit for Sept.

Good luck.

Sam x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if you are doing your BA(hons) then you could go on to do a TA position hon.

Normally they'd want you to have a TA level 3 qualification but given what you are studying they might not. I would contact some local schools first off.

Register on E-Teach, they have loads of TA and other school jobs, and you will see what qualifications they are looking for. Some want lots of school experience and some not. If you have some classroom experience it will help, along with your CM experience so maybe some volunteering if you have any free days?

For Early Years Teacher (QT), you'd need to do a PGCE or look into the schools direct programme which offer salaried and non-salaried places in schools and you train on the job. Most of these, however, ask for 3 years post graduation experience. Register with the Teaching Agency - you can talk with advisors on there for free
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I've also made the decision, after months and months of thinking about it to change career. I want to become a TA. I have no idea really what's needed for the job and unfortuantley any TA's I know are linked to the parents of the children I look after, which could be awkward lol! I do plan in telling then but want to be clear in my head what qualifications I need etc. I had an opportunity to speak to the headmaster of the school which I work out of and he was very helpful. Doesnt look like I will get in to it overnight as I have no classroom experience and thats difficult to get when you work full time. My head is buzzing at the moment with so many worries and excited at the same time!! lol

I wish you lots of luck in your venture and hope you get what you want

Look forward to hearing about it

Sam xx
    Sam xxx

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also starting degree in October. I'll be doing a ba honours open degree with the open university. Not sure exactly what I want to do yet, either social work or teaching. So I'm going to do this part time over 6 years and then do a years PGCE if teaching afterwards.
    By that time my youngest will be 13 and I will then stop childminding and have my house back! That's the plan anyway!
    Stacey x