Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CHICKens! who has some

Live ones I mean lol I'm thinkng of getting some and not sure how much care and attention they need, am thinking of puting them over the allotment in a coop and walk in run, its not far so I can go there every day and if I get back in to minding the kids can help care for them
    Do ofsted mind kids being in contact with chickens?
    How much time do I need to devote each day?
    If they have a secure coop and run do they need to be shut in their coop at night?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have chickens love them.

they have there own enclosed part of the garden. Let them out in the mornings check food and water grit. Collect the eggs. Leave them to their own devices. Check food and water later in the day and again check for eggs. Lock them in the coop when its dark. I do this because of foxes. We clean them out at least once a week.

I red mite the chickens and the coop every week when I clean it out. Worm food and cider vinegar in their water once a week again when I clean them out.

Ofsted were fine with them I told them the children like collecting the eggs and we do catch them and let the children stroke them. My inspector loved it

I have had chickens for a year now and its harder in the winter months lots more pooh in the coop due to them being in more.

But I love them would love another coop and some more
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Joining this thread for info as I would love some if I could squeeze them into my little garden

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    Joining this thread for info as I would love some if I could squeeze them into my little garden
    They don't masses of room but you could do with an area just for them just for the sheer amount of pooh to keep it all in one area
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine roam free OFSTED loved them even asked if she could help feed them. I also happened to have a duck in my bath at the time and she thought that was fantastic to if a little odd. Duck is now grown up and lives outside to. I have pigs sheep and dogs a cat that thinks it lives here to. As long as risk assessment is done well they don't mind them. They like the kids being able to feed and learn about the animals. My parents have all said how happy they are that all of my mindies learnt about death with me through the animals and not through someone they love. One parent even asked if child could go and drop the animals off at slaughter house with me. I said no as it is always early Sunday morning I go.

6. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 7 chickens and the children love helping me with them. They don't need a huge amount of time. Fussy elmo why do you give cider vinegar just out of interest? had mine four years and have never given vinegar to them, I know you can but why?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have 7 chickens and the children love helping me with them. They don't need a huge amount of time. Fussy elmo why do you give cider vinegar just out of interest? had mine four years and have never given vinegar to them, I know you can but why?
    Use it as a wormer as well - its supposed to have other benefits too (not sure what these are though)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping to get chickens next month - my brother is moving abroad for work for several years and is giving us his old chicken coop - hopefully it will be big enough for 6 chickens, we are going to extend the run it has on it as our garden is a bit bigger and he only had 4 chickens in it. Must get book from library on how to look after them as I haven't got a clue.

Mushpea - lovely to hear from you, how is everything going - any idea when you can start minding again. A friend was telling me that something similar has happened to her brother's childminder - she sacked her assistant as she arrived worse for wear and now assistant has made all kinds of horrible allegations to Ofsted, the parents are standing by here but don't know how long it will take before allowed to work again. It's horrible that it's guilty until proven innocent.
    Last edited by hectors house; 13-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We bit the bullet and got 4 chickens a few months ago and it's the best thing I've ever done! They are fantastic and the kids love them.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to come back soon but nothings definate snd it could tahe 2 months!
    So would I be ok keeping chickens at my allotment if I can visit everyday, would they need to be shut in at night in the warmer months ifvthey hadc a secure cop and run joined together, I thinking of having them at home in the winter months so could shut the in at night then for warmth.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    I'm hoping to come back soon but nothings definate snd it could tahe 2 months!
    So would I be ok keeping chickens at my allotment if I can visit everyday, would they need to be shut in at night in the warmer months ifvthey hadc a secure cop and run joined together, I thinking of having them at home in the winter months so could shut the in at night then for warmth.
    Personally I would just because of a fox attack especially at the alloctments. Its my worst fear to wake up and see them savaged

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the area is like where you live but around here mindless idiots killed chickens kept on allotments, if others are doing it and have no problems go for it.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QualityCare View Post
    Not sure what the area is like where you live but around here mindless idiots killed chickens kept on allotments, if others are doing it and have no problems go for it.
    Oh that's shocking

Why on earth would people do that

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QualityCare View Post
    Oh that's awful, no one else has them but theyve only been going 3yrs so could be because noone has realized they can have them, I would live to have them at home all the time but I only have block.paving so they would have nowhere to dig, in the winter months I was going to put down lots of straw and chuck some meal worms in for them but I'm not sure that's fair to them all year round

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that's awful, no one else has them but theyve only been going 3yrs so could be because noone has realized they can have them, I would live to have them at home all the time but I only have block.paving so they would have nowhere to dig, in the winter months I was going to put down lots of straw and chuck some meal worms in for them but I'm not sure that's fair to them all year round
    Found this on a site - paving slabs are not completely out.

A garden without grass need not necessarily have to be a garden without chickens and, assuming that the area can be periodically disinfected, a static house and run could be a viable option where the ‘garden’ consists of nothing more than concrete or paving slabs. In this instance, it would be best to have the roof of the house continuing the full length of the run and also to enclose the back and sides, leaving only the wire-netting front portion open to the elements. By doing so, it should be possible to include a base of fine gravel, pea-shingle or screened play pit sand that provides both scratching and dusting material which can be periodically taken out and sieved in order to remove the faeces, vegetable stalks and discarded feathers. Wood bark is another option but its size makes it impossible to riddle and is therefore more difficult to keep clean. In any case, whatever material is chosen will need replenishing and/or replacing from time to time.

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh interesting thanks fussy Elmo
    I've wanted to have chickens for years especially to compliment my allotment and wormery, if I could I'd live like them off the good life lol

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumping on the thread as my hubby want us to get Chooks. Around here we can get some that are ex battery hens and give them a lovely free range life. We would consider that, think it may be next year now as hubby has a lot going on, but was interested in reading how little work was actually involved

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a quiet village but even here chickens aren't safe on allotments. Two lots have been stollen

aug 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good in june
    Post Thanks / Like

Default chicken

I have had 8 to 10 chicken and Richard the cockrel for over 10 years while minding.Ofsted have no problem with it.I let them out anytime between 8 and10 am and in the winter they are locked in at 4.30, in the summer at 10 pm this time of year about 7 o clock.l They definitely have to be shut securely in at night.I have even had a fox come with in 4 foot of my kitchen window at 2 in the afternoon and take a very big chicken.I set a trap that a local farmer lent me and a week later got the fox.Foxes are an ever present problem.Also some children will chase them even if you explain over and over not to thats why I have a cock he steps in between them and he is big.A child killed one by chasing it until it broke its leg and had to be put down.The parent just said OH well one for the pot,I was horrified they are pets.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooooh interesting thanks fussy Elmo
    I've wanted to have chickens for years especially to compliment my allotment and wormery, if I could I'd live like them off the good life lol
    I want a small holding however the lottery win is not turning up anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast