Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happystay View Post
    I have had 8 to 10 chicken and Richard the cockrel for over 10 years while minding.Ofsted have no problem with it.I let them out anytime between 8 and10 am and in the winter they are locked in at 4.30, in the summer at 10 pm this time of year about 7 o clock.l They definitely have to be shut securely in at night.I have even had a fox come with in 4 foot of my kitchen window at 2 in the afternoon and take a very big chicken.I set a trap that a local farmer lent me and a week later got the fox.Foxes are an ever present problem.Also some children will chase them even if you explain over and over not to thats why I have a cock he steps in between them and he is big.A child killed one by chasing it until it broke its leg and had to be put down.The parent just said OH well one for the pot,I was horrified they are pets.
    Oh no how awful! Ours would hopefully give us eggs but would be very much pets, I'm not sure snout letting the roam the garden because it would be the same area as the children play in if we had them at home I was thinking more of a coop with a big run attatched but obviously it would be even bigger if we had it at allotment, our rabbits free roam and leave the odd stray poo but are generally litter trained and ofsted weren't hsppy with this idea so I dredd to think ehst they eould say about hens roaming the play area too. We also have 2 cats and a daft labrador the lab ges on lovely with the rabbits and he shares his bed with our indoor bun sometimes so I'm sure he would be ok but not so sure about the cats.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've kept chickens for ten years now. We have a run at the bottom of the garden and over the years it has been extended. Back in 2010 we hatched one duckling and it was great for the CM children as she had a regular 'swim' after snack time in a tub in the kitchen. They loved it!
    I now have one chicken and two ducks. As long as the children are kept from the 'poop' then they can help with feeding and collecting eggs. And the parents seem to like getting eggs
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    They don't masses of room but you could do with an area just for them just for the sheer amount of pooh to keep it all in one area
    Thanks I was thinking of getting 3 bantams (or small ex-battery hens??) and one of those 'ark' coops with the house on top and a run underneath and handles so you can move it. I was planning on putting the coop on the patio on a bed of bark or sand and letting the chickens out into the garden at suitable times of day. I have a LOT of slugs they would be welcome to eat!

Would it be realistic to let them into the area (lawn and patio) the children use for playing and pick up the chicken poo before the children use it, or will there be too much/ will it be hard to spot?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post

Thanks I was thinking of getting 3 bantams (or small ex-battery hens??) and one of those 'ark' coops with the house on top and a run underneath and handles so you can move it. I was planning on putting the coop on the patio on a bed of bark or sand and letting the chickens out into the garden at suitable times of day. I have a LOT of slugs they would be welcome to eat!

Would it be realistic to let them into the area (lawn and patio) the children use for playing and pick up the chicken poo before the children use it, or will there be too much/ will it be hard to spot?
    I don't let the chickens into the garden area because of the amount of poo I already pick up after dogs. Im refusing to do chicken poo duty as well.

I like them in their own separate area because they can be out all day without being bothered by children\pets. I also don't have to think about getting them back in when I go out. They are quick and are good escape artists
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I've kept chickens for ten years now. We have a run at the bottom of the garden and over the years it has been extended. Back in 2010 we hatched one duckling and it was great for the CM children as she had a regular 'swim' after snack time in a tub in the kitchen. They loved it!
    I now have one chicken and two ducks. As long as the children are kept from the 'poop' then they can help with feeding and collecting eggs. And the parents seem to like getting eggs
    Are ducks easy to look after? I might be able to persuade dh about ducks.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Ducks do more mess then chickens ! I would always lock chickens up for the night away from foxy, mine are locked up bout 9/10pm and let out between 6.30/7am latest.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ducks do more mess then chickens ! I would always lock chickens up for the night away from foxy, mine are locked up bout 9/10pm and let out between 6.30/7am latest.
    Would they cohabit with the chickens or need their own area.

Would they need access to water?

Have just texted dh and asked him to what he thought to us having ducks and hes only said crispy so im taking that as s yes.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like them in their own separate area because they can be out all day without being bothered by children\pets. I also don't have to think about getting them back in when I go out. They are quick and are good escape artists
    Good points, thank you Will keep trying to figure out how to make it work

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ducks are messy! And they are difficult to catch to put away for the night. They can see in the dark better than we can. Chickens don't move in the dark.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If you let your hens free range in the same area as the children play even if its when they've gone home how do you explain this to ofsted and what do they think, are they easy to clean up after?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    If you let your hens free range in the same area as the children play even if its when they've gone home how do you explain this to ofsted and what do they think, are they easy to clean up after?
    I don't they have their own area fenced off they do try and escape over though :-D

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't they have their own area fenced off they do try and escape over though :-D
    Would you mind if I ask how big it is? W have an area 8 ft by 6 ft which will be for their house and run house will be raised so they can go underneath it too I know anythings better than what theyve had as they will be rescued battery hens but I don't eant them cooped up if that's too small ifvyou see what I mean

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its probably about double that (being scientific and counting fence panels) but its way too big for my 5 chickens.

Your area sounds fine.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Its probably about double that (being scientific and counting fence panels) but its way too big for my 5 chickens.

Your area sounds fine.
    Oh wow they are spoilt we were thinking of 3 maybe four at the most, I've been looking on little hens rescue at how caged hens are treated, its awful, I wish I was in a situation to adop right now but sadly it will have to wait till I'm working again. Poor little things I will never again buy cheap eggs or chicken

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post

Oh wow they are spoilt we were thinking of 3 maybe four at the most, I've been looking on little hens rescue at how caged hens are treated, its awful, I wish I was in a situation to adop right now but sadly it will have to wait till I'm working again. Poor little things I will never again buy cheap eggs or chicken
    We started with 4 but died so we had to add 2 new ones. Apparently its easier to add a pair because the others will pick on one lone bird. We did have feathers flying adding 2.

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting how other people have had different responses from ofsted re their chickens, mine are in a 4.5mx2.5m full enclosed patio slab base so completely fox proof with a base layer on top for scratching and then an extra fenced area which is 4mx4m which I let them out into when I'm in the garden, but ofsted did not like them and said I should ensure they are padlocked in! I was so taken back by this I didn't really question any more. I did say i RA them and children would be allowed supervised access with parents prior knowledge and she said she wouldn't be keen on it for her children but its up to the parents.
    I didn't point out to ofsted that when they are in the fenced area they are amazing escape artists as they always want to find me and beg for food! One of these days I'm either gonna stand on a chicken or chop its head off when digging as they are always under my feet!
    I personally reckon they are the best pets for kids, we also raise them from chicks and my 6 week old chicks will all jump on your hand or lap if you sit down in the hope of food. (I do try or get my kids to hand feed my chicks daily and chickens weekly as it keeps them extra friendly) With the added bonus of eggs!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends o how animal freindly the inspectors are, we have dog, rabbit and cats living indoors but she didn't like the dogs bed being I the living room as small children could crawl in it (hrs only allowed in it when the others go home, he stays in the kitchen all day) and she didn't like the rabbit hoping around but its house trained and is only in the duning room, its a shame as the kids live watching her hop round and chase bits of dropped food at meal times.
    Yet other inspectors have thought it great they mix with animals

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

no children should be in a sterilised enviroment and not come into contact with any dirt or mess! and what sad children they would be . children are all the better for mixing with animals and we all no children thrive when dirty

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing was she didn't bat an eyelid at my 3 dogs 2 German shepherd and 1 lurcher cross so all v large dogs, neither did she mention anything about my guinea pigs, obviously none of my animals come into the main room *****mind in neither do they have unsupervised access to them. But not even one question about them and you can't miss them! But chickens she did not like! But I'm glad to hear that's not universal with all inspectors.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My inspector was an animal lover thankfully she loved the chicken area in fact told me to make more of a feature of it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12