Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teenagers and their bedrooms

I have been tidying out my DD's bedroom as I am sick of looking at the mess and I thought if I helped it would motivate her to do some too. Well she has done it but just when I thought I had finished the washing I find that

tidy a teenagers room = washing ):
    Debbie

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't touch my DDs room - she does her own washing and it will only get cleaned by my cleaner if tidy or she will have to do it herself - that seems to be motivation enough. She is 18

DS keeps his room quite tidy except for school work - no matter how many boxes/files I buy and same goes for him with the cleaner, always a tidy up on a Thurs as he doesn't want to waste his weekend cleaning! I call out in the evening for any washing and he does put it in the basket in the hall for me to do. He is 16.

They are annoying in other ways though - can't master unloading dishwasher unless asked
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Post Thanks / Like

Often I think I've done all the washing then walk into the utility room and its reappeared.
    Mandy xx

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hate the appearance of washing after I have done it all - could happily put the children in the washer to make them learn.

Can you tell I have just sent mine upstairs to tidy their rooms. You may hear the shrieks in a moment
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I make mine tidy their rooms and each Saturday they change their beds and hoover their rooms
    Out of intrest eaxctly what does the cleaner do, I it just dusting ad hoovering or do they tidy toio, oly wondering as thinking of having one when I'm back in work if only to tidy the upstairs

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

This was the biggest source of annoyance when my son lived at home , im not a tidy freak by any means but OMG his room was a health hazard

the hours I wasted nagging him then giving up and doing it myself only for it to be just the same 3 days later

so eventually i gave up and now hes 22 and has his own flat hes improved a bit but sadly has moved in with a girlfriend who is even messier than him , maybe thats karma

Post Thanks / Like

I did the nagging thing but found it easier just to shut their bedroom door in the end.
    Mandy xx

10. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had the necessary innoculations to enter my teenage daughter's bedroom! - I'm sure when I ask her to tidy her room she just picks up all clothes from floor (clean or dirty) and throws them in the laundry basket.

12. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    I make mine tidy their rooms and each Saturday they change their beds and hoover their rooms
    Out of intrest eaxctly what does the cleaner do, I it just dusting ad hoovering or do they tidy toio, oly wondering as thinking of having one when I'm back in work if only to tidy the upstairs
    My cleaner just cleans I tidy before she comes - I am not a super tidy freak so there is always stuff about but at least I know it's clean I hate dusting
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh you've all made me feel so much better. My eldest daughter is just 15 and I feel like I've spent the last 10 years (she seemed to skip childhood and went straight into being a teenager!!) nagging her to tidy her room. Like you all say, tidying generally means transferring everything to the laundry basket! I don't get how she does it, she will actually tidy it now if I ask, but I can go in 2 hours later and it will look like a bomb has exploded again Still least I know it's normal now!

Cathy

Post Thanks / Like

My daughters 7 going in 17 and her room is a tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry wasn't finished replying lol! Well she's 7 going on 17. But she loves it when her room is tidy but really struggles to keep it that way. Things get transferred from the floor to the wash basket or get out in every and any drawer they will fit. I do have a cleaner who comes but all she does us Hoover and clean her bathroom. She will make her bed bless her but I don't ask her to do this. Come Thursday even when she's looking to go to bed she can't as the cleaner has lifted everything off the floor and out Irvin her bed lol so she HAS to tidy it all away lol.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just say to mums of messy, moody teens ....

my son left home to go to Uni 4 hours drive away when he was 18 and hes now 22 and has stayed there

I miss him desperately and only get to see him 3 or 4 times a year

If there was one thing that I could change about his teenage years it would be that I nagged less and got to know him a little better

I know its annoying but try to cherish them while they are still with you , even if they are moody and messy and drive you up the wall

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix2010 View Post
    Can I just say to mums of messy, moody teens ....

my son left home to go to Uni 4 hours drive away when he was 18 and hes now 22 and has stayed there

I miss him desperately and only get to see him 3 or 4 times a year

If there was one thing that I could change about his teenage years it would be that I nagged less and got to know him a little better

I know its annoying but try to cherish them while they are still with you , even if they are moody and messy and drive you up the wall
    Awww! I will think of that next time I go to nag my son. He's almost 15, shares a tiny room with his brother and it's always a mess, and currently refusing to revise for his Gcse's in May and I feel like all I do is moan at the moment. Hopefully thinking about what you've just said will help x

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up nagging recently. My dd helpfully pointed out that all our upstairs is a tip since I started cm' ing!!! She's right too

I try to tidy on a sunday morning, but the distraction gremlins take over!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just teenagers my sons are 20 and almost 22 and their rooms look like a bomb has hit them! And as you say if they do tidy up the clothes on the floor all end up in the wash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adedwards68 View Post
    Often I think I've done all the washing then walk into the utility room and its reappeared.
    Should have pointed out that 3 oldest children are 16, 20 and 22 so not all teenagers
    The 20 yr old spends all her time at boyfriends flat, hasn't moved out as I haven't actually got a spare room!, but comes back one day a week to do her washing, well leave it in a pile by washing machine and by the time she leaves late afternoon I'm still tidying up after her.
    Mandy xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After threatening to put everything on my daughter's bedroom floor in the bin this Easter hols, she has finally tidied her room which seems to have been just to transfer everything she doesn't want to other rooms in the house - I now have to sort it all out into stuff I can give away to mindees, friends or charity shop and stuff only fit for the bin - also going to save some things as she may not be into porcelain fairies anymore (nearly 18) but they were given to her by her godmother who would be upset to think she has got rid of them - so something else to be wrapped up and put in attic.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The clue is in the title...teenagers and THEIR room. Leave them to it, and THEIR laundry. Don't sweat the stuff over which you have no control, it causes wrinkles, that's all.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    The clue is in the title...teenagers and THEIR room. Leave them to it, and THEIR laundry. Don't sweat the stuff over which you have no control, it causes wrinkles, that's all.
    ,this was my thinking untill last week when, due to a work relatee incident I had ss visit one f the things she told me off for was my sons messy room and it wasn't even that bad! He's 12 yrs and quite caable of tidying, I had to really bite my tounge to keep the peace!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast