The cheek!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The cheek!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The cheek!!!

Iv had such a stressful cold day. Had a headache all day, kids have been really grumpy. My mindees dad comes at 6 his son is asleep then has the cheek to say oh can I leave him to sleep so I can go down the road. I was no sorry it's 6 and I dought you will be back by 6.30 plus my son is tied. He was like oh ok. Trying to make me feel bad. No way I have a life beyond this job.

Dad just called and left me a voicemail asking me to take his child to the gp in the morning. Is he serious!!! What do I say to that?

Please help

Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

The cheek, have you got other mindees in the morning as well, I would say no. I personally would not take them to the drs as I think that it is the parents responsibility but I am sure there are other childminders that would. Hope you feel better tomorrow

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simple - NO

Or if you want to be politer I would send a reply saying unfortunetly I will not be able to take YOUR child to the gp's in the morning. Please refer to my sickness policy regarding if the child will be able to attend at all tomorrow.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

today is not a good day by the sounds of this forum today in regards to parents requests.

Why does his son need to see the GP? If he is ill then he should not be with you anyway prior to going the doctors.

I would just say that you do not offer this type of service as you have other children to take care off including your own, and that this is something a parent should do due to confidentiality issues and for the well being of the child it should be done with someone they are comfortable with.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    today is not a good day by the sounds of this forum today in regards to parents requests.

Why does his son need to see the GP? If he is ill then he should not be with you anyway prior to going the doctors.

I would just say that you do not offer this type of service as you have other children to take care off including your own, and that this is something a parent should do due to confidentiality issues and for the well being of the child it should be done with someone they are comfortable with.
    Yes agree with above - unless you're happy to do it. (I might do it for one or two of mine but these are the parents that would NEVER ask anyway)

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

What how rude :-( when I had a minder for my dd i used to take time off to take my own children to the gp, what is the world coming to x

Spring is around the corner x ok maybe I'm wrong !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I did it once because child was running a high temp and was very floppy I was very concerned so I called his gp and took him. Parents didn't seems bothered that he had ear infection and I ended up with him all day luckily he perked up but I told them if he got worse they would have to pick up.

He's had a croaky voice since yesterday. Apparently has lost it now and dad is concerned!

I do have other mindees but not tomorrow. I have plans though. I can't expect my son to stay indoors all morning to wait to hear from the gp.

I feel bad saying no but they need to understand I'm not his mother.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by step11 View Post
    I did it once because child was running a high temp and was very floppy I was very concerned so I called his gp and took him. Parents didn't seems bothered that he had ear infection and I ended up with him all day luckily he perked up but I told them if he got worse they would have to pick up.

He's had a croaky voice since yesterday. Apparently has lost it now and dad is concerned!

I do have other mindees but not tomorrow. I have plans though. I can't expect my son to stay indoors all morning to wait to hear from the gp.

I feel bad saying no but they need to understand I'm not his mother.
    DO NOT FEEL BAD!!!!! This is not part of being a childminder you are there to care for the child in the parents absence not to take over their role completely. Practise saying "NO, NO, NO" !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post

DO NOT FEEL BAD!!!!! This is not part of being a childminder you are there to care for the child in the parents absence not to take over their role completely. Practise saying "NO, NO, NO" !
    Haha love that. That my problem I'm too nice so they take it for granted and abuse it. I will say no just to to text as I do not want to speak to him in phone and to be honest my work hours are done. X

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, where I live, I would not expect a childminder to do this. We don't have parental responsibility for a start, and I don't think the child's Doctor would speak to us about his care. It might also trigger social services to get involved because they might want to know why the parent wasn't taking the child instead. Therefore, please say No, and stick to your Sick Child policy.

I've had this as well, and the above is exactly what I told the parent! They didn't ask again.

Hope that helps,

L

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I might take a child to the GP if i only had that child and assuming that whatever is wrong with them isnt a reason to keep them off anyway

However if i had other children then I would say "No becasue we have made plans and I dont think other parents would appreciate me taking their child into a doctors waiting room , where there are all kinds of germs being coughed and sneezed around "

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

sick child should not be coming to you anyway so say no.....

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No way would I that's not your job role they as parents should make time if it turns out he is not well enough then he shouldn't attend anyway.
    This is one reason why I left nannying so I will only take my own child to the doctors and only ever care for my own sick child.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely No! What next? Dentist appointments maybe? Nip it in the bud now!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I text dad and said sorry but no we have plans. I got no reply so let's see what happen tomorrow. I hope he doesn't bring little one in if he's got no voice.

Thanks for support. X

Post Thanks / Like

Woke up late this morning and this is the day parent drops on time! Not a good start to the day.
    Well dad has brought little one in he's seems ok I can still hear him lol. Dad made it out as if he had gone completely mute. Clearly he wasn't that concerned as the child is not going gp. He had a cheek to say so what are you actually doing today!! Them he goes well don't worry we are both off tomorrow. ( I hope they don't bring him in). Told dad if he gets worse then he would have to pick up.
    This made me laugh he says to me, please don't let him scream or shout!!!! HE'S A BABY I can't stop him being verbal.
    Litlle one seem happy I hope they ain't drugged him up and sent him in.

It's going to be a long day