Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Football scouts

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Football scouts

My son is (9) in year 4, he is very much into his football, and has been playing since he was 4 with a local team, I always saw it as fun for him, good exercise, good team work etc. but yesterday I was approached by a scout from a local premiership team who said that he had been watching him for a few games and would like him to attend the youth academy. My first thought was wow, my boys been scouted, and how proud I was of him, and how excited he would be, but now I am a bit worried and nervous. To be honest I was so in shock by it that I didn't ask him any questions, only thought of them after! I know that youth football at this age can be quite ruthless, and am concerned about the competitive nature of it all, taking away the fun of playing and how his confidence will be effected if he is dumped by them! Has anyone got any kids that have been through a football academy, and how was their experience of it?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

you need to speak to this person again as there are several levels of 'academy'. Ds1 was spotted and joined in at the leicester Goalkeeping academy from around the same age. This wasnt 'signing up ' , high pressure , etc - it was a training session where they could monitor the kids and guide them , and of course spot those with future potential. Relatively few of the boys then progressed to the next level - indeed this is where they usually stop playing for local teams , and 'sign up' with the 'major team'. Ds had the agility and ability , but didnt reach the height they were hoping for early enough ( indeed he was in 6th form before 'shooting up'). he did train with the coaches for a few seasons , learned lots , made friends and had a greaqt time!

june 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wendy1967

Hi
    both my sons one of 16 and one of 11 are very much involved in football.even though the younger one has alot more tallent than the older one at this age.I personally love watching football and feel very proud when i watch the boys the eldest i am not allowed to watch now he says i embarrassing (cant for the life of me think of what he means)
    My youngest was asked to have trials with a development centre in my area of which we attened.when he was 9 didn't realy enjoy it because non of his friend are there,but attended.after every term they get assessed after us being there for 9 months,they sent his assessment via email the day after the payment had left my bank,and said they no longer require him to attend and if he wanted to continue being a goalkeeper he needs to practice more.i was fuming he had never been a goalie found out that others they had let go they used stupid excuses.I am very fortunate to have my niece marrying a professional footballer,which is great to see the other side of success,the big house flashy cars,holidays and lots of them,but his attitude is enjoy your football while your young.no pressure,and if you are good enough when you are in your teens,they will come looking for you again.

On the good side we did go to some very nice grounds,alot of travelling involved the standard of football was better than sunday league,and there was always refreshments
    available,and toilets. This is only my experience and i am sure there are lots of people that have had better experiences than ours,mine was a development centre which is a step lower than an acadamy. no matter what you decide to do as long as your son is happy and enjoying playing football that's the main thing .who for that's up to him.
    hope i havn't rabbited on to much but i do love footy.