Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Shift Hours

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shift Hours

Hi there,

I have just heard from my first parents and she wants shift hours and will give me two months advance notice of the days and times she wants me. It can vary for two days mainly to one or three days. At present waiting for my inspection which she's been notified. Am just happy someone's got in touch but didn't want it this complicated, lol. How would you go about charging this? would you do a day rate hourly? How would you give them an invoice? How have u guys found doing shift work?

Mainly do u guys have the same child everyday of the week?

Thanks guys for the replies!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this before. She wanted three days which would very. I had the space so charged her three days a week,some weeks would be 3 others 2, sometimes 1 sometimes none. It all worked out. Just means you have a to keep a full time vacancy for your lady. Suited me as I had two other part timers on the other days. Hope that helps xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Sophie says only do it if it suits you and fits in with your routines - otherwise you will be turning other work away and that's not a good place to be.

Hth

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest with you when I started up i took anything and everything, i had bills to pay and Im a single parent !!

so i did weekends, shifts , earlies , lates , the lot

now i have regular children that do the same hours every week , as things have got busier Ive been in the position of being more choosy about what I accept and what I turn down

In this instance this child will effectively be taking up a full time space as you need to leave one space every day available for this child , so its a risky prospect but it all comes down to your circumstances as to whether this will work for you

if you end up in the position of turning down a full timer becasue of this job then you will be gutted , however some people dont want to be full and 1 full timer and a couple of part timers is all some people want or need

hope that helps

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All of my EY children are shift workers. None are here the same days every week they all vary from week to week. It suits me as although sometimes I might have 3 or 4 at the same time at other times I might have a morning with none. I also have built up quite a few families who I do adhoc work for so that builds up more pennies for me too as I very often have a space when they need one.
    The way I work is that I agree with the shift families a minimum number of hours payable per month, they usually use more than their minimum but at least I know the minimum I will earn from them. I started with just 1 shift worker but word spread and now they are all shift workers and they appreciate the flexibilty I give them.

xxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies! Hmm in two minds about what I should do! I can only look after one mindee throughout the day as I have two boys and would have rather had 1 regular mindee coming everday but hey I cant be choosy. Think I might turn her down as I cant be leaving a space open evry week as they only use me once one wekk following two days etc too much headache!