Godparenting
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Godparenting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Godparenting

I need advice as I have been asked to be godparent to two of my very good friends babies! Neither are particularly religious and not looking for me to teach about god etc but I need to know what people think is the role of a godparent? I need to really decide whether I am capable x

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm godmother to my niece and one of my mindees, the role as I see it is that you are there to help bring them up if anything happens to
    their parents. And to be there for them if they have any problems that they can't go to their parents with.
    Cath

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with cathee when I picked god parents I picked someone who could look after my kids like I would should anything awful happen and some one they could rely on and talk to hth? x

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Think long and hard about it I'm god parent to who I thought was my best friend's daughter we'd been through loads together and alway came out the other side so naturally I asked her to be my sons god mother too. 12 months later she got married I was devastated the other god mother and godfather were both best man and bridesmaid and my son wasn't even invited to the wedding it's torn our friendship apart I was so upset about it we'd always said from when we were young we'd have each other as bridesmaids then to have one friend and not the other. We hardly speak theses days and my son wouldn't know her from Adam. Next time I'd think long and hard before choosing people I'd prob end up choosing family or family friends knowing they'll b in their lives forever. I still send my god daughter presents and cards but feel she's missing out too.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For our childrens godparents we chose people we wish were family, who will be part of their lives & someone they can depend on whenever they need to. sadly we have lost touch with ds godfather, but the rest are part of our lives & much loved.
    I try to be a steady influence in my god childrens lives, & I do talk about god to them, as it is part of who I am.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am god mother to my best friends two children and was subsequently asked to be guardian to them which basically means if anything happens to the parents the children come to live with us!!

It is a big responsibility but my view was that I was their extended family and could provide an opportunity to offer help and advice when they can't or don't want to go to their parents. My best friend said she chose me because she wanted someone who had similar values to her and who she knew would be able to offer advice and support if they needed it.

I think it is a huge honour but only you can decide.

Good luck

Sam x

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone x it's just made me really think today x I have already got 3 god children and have vowed with myself that I will try everything to stay part of their lives! Remember their birthdays and Christmas at the least! Be a friend of the family and like a family member x to support their parents by listening to their difficulties in decision making or supporting the child when needed! This I will always be there for but I'm always worried that I am not special enough to them! I don't take them out all the time or buy special god children cards or spend loads of money! I chose god parents for our three girls and half of them have been amazing but a couple have been so diss appointing! I don't want to let these children down x

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what most of the previous posters have said, I just want to add that you'll clearly make an excellent gog parent since you are taking the time to acknowledge what it means and to figure out if you can do it! What ever you decide, you'll have decided well!

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carls View Post
    Thankyou everyone x it's just made me really think today x I have already got 3 god children and have vowed with myself that I will try everything to stay part of their lives! Remember their birthdays and Christmas at the least! Be a friend of the family and like a family member x to support their parents by listening to their difficulties in decision making or supporting the child when needed! This I will always be there for but I'm always worried that I am not special enough to them! I don't take them out all the time or buy special god children cards or spend loads of money! I chose god parents for our three girls and half of them have been amazing but a couple have been so diss appointing! I don't want to let these children down x
    i don't take my god children out, or spend loads on them or special cards etc. i am just there as a special person in their lives. i've moved and now only see any of my godchildren very occaisonally, but they all know i'm at the end of the phone, email or text message !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad u aren't taking it lightly .. I am fed up of being upset at my kids godparents cos they don't make the effort . Mostly this is friends, family ones not too bad. My youngest is still waiting on a birthday present (October) Christmas present and twice I have asked her god mother to call to get the peesent my daughter bought and chose for her from her own money and she hasn't bothered. She only lives 10 mins away! I don't expect much but I do expect pressies even something from pound shop!!

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am Godmother to two neices and a nephew. My childrens' Godparents are their Aunts and Uncles. Friends can come and go over the years but family are constant. It is an honour to be asked and if a froend did I would make every effort to always be in that childs life.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?