WHAT DO YOU THINK USED TO BE BETTER ...IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  70
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WHAT DO YOU THINK USED TO BE BETTER ...IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Never thought I would sound like my mom In the good old days ......

Things lasted longer

Summers lasted forever

Children had fun ,no worries etc and noooo play stations or phones

Chocolate bars were bigger ........ did they shrink when I got bigger

What do you remember about the good old days ?

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Going out to play in the morning and not coming back til tea time with sandwiches and a bottle of squash for my lunch.
    Curly wurly's were bigger and so were wagon wheels.
    No mobiles going off day and night. If I wanted to use the phone I had to either go to the phone box or sit on the stairs and use the one in our hall.
    Going to the school disco was the high light of the year
    The only worry I had was wether Woolworths would have my electric blue mascara in when I next caught the bus up into town.
    Toothfairy

3. Likes primula, Kidz-Care, Rosy Days liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    Going out to play in the morning and not coming back til tea time with sandwiches and a bottle of squash for my lunch.
    Curly wurly's were bigger and so were wagon wheels.
    No mobiles going off day and night. If I wanted to use the phone I had to either go to the phone box or sit on the stairs and use the one in our hall.
    Going to the school disco was the high light of the year
    The only worry I had was wether Woolworths would have my electric blue mascara in when I next caught the bus up into town.
    I loved my electric blue mascara!!
    I can think of other things that used to be better in the 'good old days' - but maybe I just had more energy then!!

5. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Woolworths... that brings back memories of me saving my pocket money to go and but the latest single of which ever band/singer i liked at the time. I would then play the single none stop for day on end.

Recording the top 40 on a sunday night onto casette and trying really hard to always press record at the start of the songs i wanted and then stopping at the correct point

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Woolworths... that brings back memories of me saving my pocket money to go and but the latest single of which ever band/singer i liked at the time. I would then play the single none stop for day on end.

Recording the top 40 on a sunday night onto casette and trying really hard to always press record at the start of the songs i wanted and then stopping at the correct point
    Oh yes I loved woolies and worked there for a time

Also the top 40 and trying to cut the dj out when recording
    Why did they always chat over the songs you wanted to record

Angel xx

8. Likes Maza, AgentTink, Kidz-Care, Dragonfly, Ballette liked this post
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Oh yes I loved woolies and worked there for a time

Also the top 40 and trying to cut the dj out when recording
    Why did they always chat over the songs you wanted to record

Angel xx
    And buying Smash Hits to get the lyrics, so I could sing along
    Toothfairy

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The music was definately better back then..cant imagine us with our fingers poised over 'record' and 'play' today! It was a sunday evening ritual for most teenage girls i would think....

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

See, I am a bit of a tech head, and as my friend has taken to calling me a geek. So I love today, and all the tech associated with modern day. I love that I can connect with my mates via text, messaging, social media, xbox, pkay station......in fact, anything I do, any game I play, I can meet up with my -usually real life - friends in a virtual world. I love that distances have shortened, and the world has shrunk. I don't eat dairy so most sweets are off limits to poor deprived me anyway, so no sadness at shrinking choco bars, or potato crisp packets etc.

BUT, I do lament the passing of the little greasy spoon cafe! Where you could buy an instant coffee at whatever strentgh you asked for, as milky or dark as you wanted. Where you could buy a slow..dripped...through filter coffee, or even better a percolated coffee. Where the lady behind the counter made your sandwich with whatever you asked for in it. Where you chose a slice of victoria sponge cake, or chocolate cake, or jam tarts that were cooked by some random old lady (probably in her cat ridden kitchen). Now you have forced through coffee shots in hot water with a shot of milk, at whatever strength the machine chooses, with a heavy slice of plastic wrapped fancy named additive filled square piece of 'cake', all at an eye watering, mortgage requiring, stupidly high price.

Well you asked!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

curly wurly's were def. bigger

playing out all day in big groups in the holiday - just going home for a wee.
    taping the Top 40 off the radio on my cassette recorder - just not the same being able to download everything - lol - even if the sound IS better.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

13. Likes Kidz-Care, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    curly wurly's were def. bigger

playing out all day in big groups in the holiday - just going home for a wee.taping the Top 40 off the radio on my cassette recorder - just not the same being able to download everything - lol - even if the sound IS better.
    Or finding the nearest bush

The weather was definitely better in the good old days. We had proper seasons - summer was hot & sunny, winter was cold, though I can't really remember what spring & autumn were like! Now the whole year seems to be one long greyness with a few very hot or very cold spells thrown in.

Choc bars were definitely bigger.

I loved Smash Hits. Where I lived we had to go into the record shop to buy it. It was fab in there. A bit dark & dingy with all sorts of characters flicking through the albums. You don't get that atmosphere downloading your tracks on itunes.

I worked in Woolies when I was at school. I worked on the record counter & loved it. I used to record all the records I wanted onto blank tapes, then just buy the tape. Probably totally illegal and I do hope I didn't lead to the downfall of Woollies by my shenanigans!

Top 40 countdown on a Sunday night was a must. I remember driving home frommy grandparents with it on the radio. When we got home, if it hadn't finished, me & my dad would stay in the car listening to it, right to the very end.

15. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Having my bedroom walls covered in posters of Bodie (Lewis Collins) from the TV show 'The Proffesionals' and dreaming of someday being Mrs Collins
    Toothfairy

17. Likes angeldelight, jillplum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I miss having lots of energy and days seeming to last forever.
    Chocolate bars being bigger and cheaper!
    Jumping on a bus and riding for as far as I could afford the fare for and exploring where I got to with my mates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    Having my bedroom walls covered in posters of Bodie (Lewis Collins) from the TV show 'The Proffesionals' and dreaming of someday being Mrs Collins
    What happened

Angel xx

20. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish and chips tasting nicer from the chip shop

A treat being a treat and something to look forward to rather than expecting it

Angel xx

22. Likes Toothfairy, Dragonfly liked this post
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had ponies and I would go and sort them out every morning. On my bike in the dark. At weekends I would get up and go riding with my mates. Not getting back until nearly dark.

Walking to school at 5/6 on my own.

Sitting on the kerb playing in the gutter with marbles. Football in the street. Stopping every so often for a car.

Spending hours just sitting in a tree. No cares....

Lovely

Wibble the nostalgic x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

24. Likes Toothfairy, Chimps Childminding liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumping off the bridge at Wallingford into the Thames in the 70's - fully clothed, dried off as we walked the 3 miles home across fields - parents had no idea what we did, we were gone all day, every day having adventures - perfick

26. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smash hits and taping the top 40 a must.

Payphones and if we were really stuck reversing the charges my kids wouldnt know how to do that.

Playing outside british bulldog, rallyango and being out all day.

Making your own entertainment.

I remember vhs beating betamax videos.

Talking to a friend about our old primary school. Gosh we had stairs to climb. We had to queue outside in all weathers to go to the canteen and there was a rota system to clean it. Having a handbell to to signal breaks etc. Also the head asking you to sit in his office to answer the phone ahh the good old days
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Being tucked up in bed with layers of heavy blankets and a hot water bottle on a winters night with no central heating and double glazing.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

29. Likes Maza, Kidz-Care liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jelly15 View Post
    Being tucked up in bed with layers of heavy blankets and a hot water bottle on a winters night with no central heating and double glazing.
    Frost patterns on your window
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jelly15 View Post
    When we stayed with my grandparents they used to tuck us in so tight we couldn't move. They told us it was to keep us warm. I now wonder if it was simply a way to stop us getting out of bed

32. Likes Toothfairy, mazza58, Kidz-Care liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast