Thread: new guinea pigs

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool new guinea pigs

DD was promised a guinea pig last october .... she wanted an abyssinian ... turns out they are incredibly rare in our part of the world ... last weekend we finally gave up the search and bought 2 short haired ... at least i say short haired ... one looks like a tailess chinchilla with fluffy longish hair!!!

DH took some persuading that we were getting 2 piggies ... so on the grey one is DDs and the other is mine ( although i share with DS )

they are very cute and a week on are very friendly and love their cuddles!

all the mindees have stroked them, and mindees today have cuddled them. ( very calm, sensible children!!! ) even DH is smitten and i hear him chatting to them!!! they are in a hutch outside during the day, and in an indoor hutch at night in the playroom.

they are called Silver Pebble and Caramel Squeak!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes VeggieSausage, Polly2 liked this post
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

ahh they are so cute. l love guinea pigs they are so friendly and easy to tame ours used to run free around the garden and squeak at the back door to come in.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh so cute, we got two boy guineas in November they are so lovely, we just them a run and we get to see them chomping up the lawn! My dd 4 named them cheese and peas! Cute. They make such good pets, they're just like bundles of fluff!

5. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They are lovely! We took in two guinea pigs last Sept that needed rehoming (Poppy and Suzie) they are treated like royalty! The mindees help clean and feed them. We change the contents of their hutch regularly - which is a double with ramp - and put different guinea pig friendly toys and places to hide. Unfortunately we cannot have them in the house overnight so I make sure they have tonnes of hay, blanket and hutch hugger and a snuggle safe hot pad. They've really become confident with me and the children and 'wheek' when i bring their daily veggies!

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

aaahh I love guinea pigs, I don't have any pets at the mo, but when asked I always say get guinea pigs because they are so placid, and big enough to take a little rough handling, but do be gentle with them. Oh, I really want some now...

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Cute photo, but you should have had a bubble and squeak
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rolacolapink View Post
    They are lovely! We took in two guinea pigs last Sept that needed rehoming (Poppy and Suzie) they are treated like royalty! The mindees help clean and feed them. We change the contents of their hutch regularly - which is a double with ramp - and put different guinea pig friendly toys and places to hide. Unfortunately we cannot have them in the house overnight so I make sure they have tonnes of hay, blanket and hutch hugger and a snuggle safe hot pad. They've really become confident with me and the children and 'wheek' when i bring their daily veggies!
    Oooo I was looking at a hot pad! We have the hutch hugger . Do you put the blanket in the sleeping area?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    Cute photo, but you should have had a bubble and squeak
    Dh wanted bubble & squeak ... But dd decided pebble looked like a pebble & caramel like caramel...& you should hear the noise she makes...hence squeak!

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Oooo I was looking at a hot pad! We have the hutch hugger . Do you put the blanket in the sleeping area?
    The heat pad is fab although i cover it in pieces of fleece (ikea) as it's a bit hard and they use it as a toilet too! i also put a thick blanket over the hutch but under the hutch hugger.

feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 guinea pigs too! I also have one of those heat pads and they are fab. I get told off for spoiling our piggies with all the fruit and veg they get

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Tempted...very very tempted!!! How messy are they?

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    Tempted...very very tempted!!! How messy are they?
    Really worth getting they are fab for kids and dont bite. Not too messy but obviously you need to keep up to cleaning the hutch once a week. I tend to 'spot' clean mid-week too and keep adding extra hay every day so they are nice and warm. All their bedding and cleaning equipment is kept in our locked garden shed. The children love getting involved with the cleaning too.

If you have a farm shop nearby it's well worth seeing if they sell big bags of hay and wood shavings as you'll save a fortune bulk buying compared to buying from a pet shop or supermarket.

15. Likes MessybutHappy, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a lovely picture. They are very sweet

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Rolacolapink - we were offered a hutch the other day and we have a patch of grass so imagine I could provide for them. I shall investigate further!

18. Likes loocyloo, Rolacolapink liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    DD was promised a guinea pig last october .... she wanted an abyssinian ... turns out they are incredibly rare in our part of the world ... last weekend we finally gave up the search and bought 2 short haired ... at least i say short haired ... one looks like a tailess chinchilla with fluffy longish hair!!!

DH took some persuading that we were getting 2 piggies ... so on the grey one is DDs and the other is mine ( although i share with DS )

they are very cute and a week on are very friendly and love their cuddles!

all the mindees have stroked them, and mindees today have cuddled them. ( very calm, sensible children!!! ) even DH is smitten and i hear him chatting to them!!! they are in a hutch outside during the day, and in an indoor hutch at night in the playroom.

they are called Silver Pebble and Caramel Squeak!
    they are so cute, totally gorgeous xx I want them!!

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

love them

they like eating kale too
    One life live it

22. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    love them

they like eating kale too
    yep, current favorites are green beans and celery, with a bit of apple thrown in. BUT neither seem to like carrot !!! in all the years i've had guinea pigs - don't think i've ever had 1, let alone 2 who don't like carrot !!!!

someone told me yesterday not to give them runner beans? never heard of that and can't remember if i have ever given piggies runner beans in the past!