Driving - Should I learn automatic or manual?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving - Should I learn automatic or manual?

Hi all,
    I had my forst driving lesson this morning. I booked automatic as everyone says it is easier but hubby is not happy and is pestering me to swap to manual. I totally understand why he is saying it - he'll never drive automatic and we can't afford two cars etc. but seriously, I found automatic pretty hard and so I just don't think I could cope with a manual with even more things to think about. What do you all drive? x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for manual! Automatic seriously reduces your choice of cars. At first it seems that there are too many things to thinks about when you first start to drive. But believe me, you will soon get 'muscle memory' and won't have to think about gear changes and using the clutch. After 26yrs of driving the only time I mess up a gear change is when I think of it!
    Everyone has terrible lessons, I used to kangaroo hop on almost every lesson and once turned across a main road facing oncoming traffic as a learner. But it did not put me off and I passed first time. Since then I've taken another driving test with a police instructor and I am a member of 'Institute of Advanced Motorists'.
    Just relax and enjoy the lessons and it will all become second nature
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive an automatic I love it and it feels like you just sit there and do nothing, great for queues and no hill starts. When I get in a manual car I think what a pain having to change gear.

However ......

I would always say learn to drive in a manual then you have the choice and can drive any car on the market. As Ripeberry rightly says its all very daunting to start with but it WILL become second nature and you will wonder what you worried about. But definitely always learn in a manual.

Good luck

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I learnt in a manual & drive dh car which is a manual. But I prefer to drive an automatic. Mine is actually a semi automatic which means I can drive it as a manual too! I only ever use the manual bit to keep it in a low gear going up & down the steep hills round here.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your hubby, what's the point learning to drive an automatic if you won't have one. I drive a manual, and I found it really really difficult at first, I just didn't believe people who said gear changes would become second nature and you'd do it without thinking, but of course they were right

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It may take you 10 more lessons to pass in a manual car but as others have said you won't EVER be restricted on what car you can drive.

7. Likes mandy moo liked this post
    Sept 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive an automatic which I love. I hate a manual drive and wouldn't drive if I didn't have an automatic but I did pass in a manual as it gives you the choice to drive either

amirose Guest

I only have an automatic license, have had it three years. I don't really feel its restricted me on the cars I drive as there are plenty on the market, I drive a Zafira and I'm looking at a Citreon C8 but does def restrict me on the number of cars available to choose from.
    I don't regret learning to drive an automatic, I got very wound up with spending all my driving lessons just learning clutch control and went with an automatic so I could actually learn to drive! lol! However time was a factor for me - being a childminder and not being able to drive was becoming a major issue for me due to my location and distance from the schools and nurseries I picked up from at the time.
    I would def go back and learn a manual at some point though, once I have got the grasp of clutch control it should be easy as I can already drive. The great thing is I can pratice clutch control in my other halfs car - for free! lol

10. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Manual! You have less choice for automatic, they cost more to buy and repair and also use more fuel than a manual. I've had one automatic and hated it however my other half thought it was great (until we had to get it repaired!). I never felt in complete control especially when overtaking etc.

It's really hard at first driving any car but it all slots into place and becomes natural.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, manual is still very popular then! Oh my. I don't think it will ever become second nature to me. x

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Wow, manual is still very popular then! Oh my. I don't think it will ever become second nature to me. x
    Don't be disheartened, it was only your first lesson. I was the same when I first got in a car. Maybe have another few lessons manual to give yourself a chance and if you really dot feel confident then consider switching to automatic x

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say definitely LEARN in a manual and once you've passed your test you can always move on to an automatic. I learnt on a manual but now I drive an automatic (and I looooooooove it!). I won't ever go back to a manual now, but I'm glad I learnt in one, as now I can drive both

Good luck!

Hels xx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I learnt to drive initially in an automatic. It enabled me to gain confidence on the road, learn to be aware of other road users, without the distraction of having to remember to change gears and all the confusion that entailed at the time.
    Once I became confident on the road, I then switched to a manual and I took a manual test.

You can drive an automatic on a manual license, but not the other way round.

Changing gears does become second nature eventually, it's just hard at the beginning to try and remember everything

Good luck with your lessons