Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should I?

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I?

We have visitors for a meal Christmas Eve evening and I have been a bit stressy because they have a perfect house and ours is, well, a bit tired, with children around all the time. I have spent the last month as time permits, to paint and generally clean the areas they might see but time is running short. The downstairs wet room and lounge door are sanded, ready for gloss paint but should I go ahead and paint now, knowing the smell will still be around on Monday night or leave it for now - some people are sensitive to paint smell although I quite like it.....

They are lovely people but I suppose I'm putting the stress on myself! Can't make up my mine what to do!

What would you do?

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what, I would say they take you as they find you because personally I don't mind what people think about my home as it is MY
    home and if they don't like it then don't come!

You work hard all year round and it is a working home, emphasis on home, mine maynot be tidy but its clean and lived in, I can't stand
    houses that you feel that you can't move, they don't feel like homes, leave the painting and relax you deserve it
    Cath

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Your visitors are coming to see you not your house.
    I wouldn't be running around painiting just because someone was coming round for a meal, they take me as I am.
    Having said that, if you are ready to paint I'd get on with it, the smell won't be that strong come Monday, you could always leave some. Windows open to air it on Sunday.

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    You know what, I would say they take you as they find you because personally I don't mind what people think about my home as it is MY
    home and if they don't like it then don't come!

You work hard all year round and it is a working home, emphasis on home, mine maynot be tidy but its clean and lived in, I can't stand
    houses that you feel that you can't move, they don't feel like homes, leave the painting and relax you deserve it
    I quite agree.
    You want to enjoy the meal, not be so exhausted that all you want to do is sleep!!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Leave it and enjoy Xmas they more than likely wouldn't notice I wouldn't:-) x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Leave it.

As I've got older Ive learnt that people can take me as I am. I used to be quite shy and always felt bad about it and used to drink a lot when I went out with friends to fit in and be louder...lol
    Now I'm not so shy, in fact I'm the opposite and I say exactly what I feel (within reason..lol)

My mum is having a party tomorrow and she keeps texting me telling me she bought this and that, painted and put wallpaper up in the bedroom as people are staying over. I bet they won't even notice the paper and she's stressed herself out for nothing.

They are coming to see you so it shouldn't matter if things are 'work in progress'
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we moved house about 18mths ago ...

we still have boxes behind the door in the dining room, we still have boxes in our bedroom. DS still needs a curtain for a little side window ( currently using a towel! )

all we have done is take the carpet up in the porch ( whole downstairs of house is wood or tiled floor ... so why put carpet in the porch?? !!! ) and DH has turned half the garage into my new wonderful playroom we keep discussing what room to do next, but we're too busy living to get on with it! friends moved about 6 months ago - they have pretty much redecorated their whole house ... i've said they can come & do ours next !!!

but friends take us as we are, and if they are put off by the chaos, then they are not really our friends.

i would leave the painting, but if YOU want to do it for YOU, then do it.

have a wonderful christmas

xxx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Personally, I'd leave it.
    Guests (or 'gets' as they're known after the 3rd visit ) take me and my home as they find it on good days or not so good... The latter being the more appropriate this time of year

However, if you decide to go ahead and paint, try slicing spanish onions in half and placing them around the house. They really help to absorb the smell

July 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Throwing a curve ball....... If it was me I'd do it but then I'm weird lol. Dh says I have ocd when it comes to housework as I'm always cleaning and not just the usual stuff, my washer/dryer/cooker are all pulled out every 2 weeks for a good clean behind, all towels are folded on the same way, nothing is out of place, I'm terrible, I'd have so much more time for me if I stopped lol but like I say that's just me. I'm happy when my house is gleaming and when it's not, well, I clean it.

At the end of the day it's your home so you do what's comfortable for you and as others have said your visitors have come to see you, not your doors lol.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buttonmoon11 View Post
    Throwing a curve ball....... If it was me I'd do it but then I'm weird lol. Dh says I have ocd when it comes to housework as I'm always cleaning and not just the usual stuff, my washer/dryer/cooker are all pulled out every 2 weeks for a good clean behind, all towels are folded on the same way, nothing is out of place, I'm terrible, I'd have so much more time for me if I stopped lol but like I say that's just me. I'm happy when my house is gleaming and when it's not, well, I clean it.
    At the end of the day it's your home so you do what's comfortable for you and as others have said your visitors have come to see you, not your doors lol.

We could have been seperated at birth...you just described me!! I love cleaning and everything has its place. My kids, now grown up, like to play the 'lets move this and see how long it takes mum to notice game'.
    If they move an ornament I spot it within 5 mins max. Dh thinks Im weird but I just like being organised thats all.

Having said that...I wouldnt be painting my doors. Relax and enjoy the holidays . xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

July 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post

We could have been seperated at birth...you just described me!! I love cleaning and everything has its place. My kids, now grown up, like to play the 'lets move this and see how long it takes mum to notice game'.
    If they move an ornament I spot it within 5 mins max. Dh thinks Im weird but I just like being organised thats all.

Having said that...I wouldnt be painting my doors. Relax and enjoy the holidays . xx
    Haha my brother especially changes round my tea coffee sugar pots or my chopping boards (I have the Joseph Joseph ones and they look really untidy when they are not in the right place) it drives me nuts!!! As I said my dh says I have ocd, but I reply with "well you can always live in a pig sty and see how far you get"

I remember once he said what gave you done all day as the house was spotless when he left for work and spotless when he got home. This was when our kiddies were 7 months and 2.5 yrs. I was quite annoyed with his remark so the next day I didn't as much as wash a teaspoon!!! His face was priceless especially as when his chin hit the floor I picked up my car keys and went to a friends haha. He never complains I don't sit down for 5 mins now
    xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Leave it if thy are friends they will not care.

Looking around my house - the puppy has emptied the kitchen bin again - the living room is resembling a hurricane so does most of the house in all honestly. What am I doing? drinking tea watching mickey mouse clubhouse
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

13. Likes Roseolivia liked this post
    JUL 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would leave it.Let them take you as they find you.We are all individuals after all.....though I would have paint and brushes ready.Make sure you all have plenty to drink and turn it into a painting party.It will get done quicker and will be a dinner party they wont forget.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Leave it if thy are friends they will not care.

Looking around my house - the puppy has emptied the kitchen bin again - the living room is resembling a hurricane so does most of the house in all honestly. What am I doing? drinking tea watching mickey mouse clubhouse
    think you must be in my house but i am in bed watching Christmas Saturday Kitchen - better get moving and start the sort out.............in a min
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

16. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Im watching that too...........in between tiding the living room decided to get motivated else I will be doing it christmas eve
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be proud of me ladies and gents I now have a tidy house not toy free in fact in 3 days will be swamped again

Funemnx what did you decide to do?

toddlers896 Guest

They are coming to see you, not your house so only paint it if you want too not becasue you feel you have too. If they are not happy then tuff
    is what i would say dont come back

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw thanks ladies for all the advice - I have decided not to paint, they are lovely people and everything is clean if not in pristine condition so instead I had a bit too much wine with hubby last night and went out with the girls for lunch today - left the house at 10a.m. and got back at 5p.m. (looonnngg lunch)

The painting can wait until after Christmas

21. Likes cathtee, loocyloo liked this post
    toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    Aw thanks ladies for all the advice - I have decided not to paint, they are lovely people and everything is clean if not in pristine condition so instead I had a bit too much wine with hubby last night and went out with the girls for lunch today - left the house at 10a.m. and got back at 5p.m. (looonnngg lunch)

good for you.the painting can wait until after xmas. i dont see the point rushing when you are looking after little ones anyway as they put their grubby
    hands all over the place

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post

Good decision - I'm sure they're coming to see you not the house!