Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW MANY MALES?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HOW MANY MALES?

Just out of curiosity how many male childminders are on this forum. I was talking to a friend who is looking specifically for a male childminder as her child doesnt have a male role model and isnt used to being around men etc. I think this is a really good idea, especially as there are alot of male teachers at the schools where her child will go eventually, but we cant find any male childminders round our way so it just got me thinking, how many of you are males and what would you think if a parent wanted you to be a role model? x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

2. Likes cathtee, k1rstie, Kevin1964 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a male. According to BBC Radio's Woman's Hour we make up about 3% of the EY workforce, though most of those are in nurseries, rather than CMs. I've tried to support and encourage other chaps who are thinking of becoming CMs and now know 3 others locally who have become registered either individually or jointly with their DW/partner. Sadly, one is really struggling to find business and is talking about going back to his previous job.

There are 2 sides to it. Like you say, there are parents who are looking for a male role model. This is exactly the situation with the mum I do most work for. I guess this is increasing these days, with the old traditional nuclear family becoming less common.

OTOH there are still some parents who find the idea of a male CM rather distateful.

I soon got used to the "can I speak to the real CM?" conversation when taking telephone enquiries.

Generally, I find if people actually meet me and chat/get to know me a little, then they're a lot more accepting. But isn't that the same with all prejudices? - meeting the individual is quite disarming. Sometimes it's the fathers who have the real problem with it. I've had several instances when a mum and lo have visited to enquire (presumably dad thinks that it's "mum's job" to sort out the care arrangements if she's going against her "duty" to be a stay-at-home mum ) Everything goes fine, we get on well, lo plays happily, mum takes all the forms home to prepare for signing a contract. Then a day or 2 later I get the phone call to say, "sorry - dad isn't happy with the idea." So disappointing.

Strangely enough, as my 'local' used to serve a former huge industrial site, I drink with a lot of tough former miners and foundryworker. They all think it's brilliant that I'm doing CMing and are always asking how it's going.

I find all the voluntary sector things like toddler groups are most accepting about it.

It can be quite difficult fitting in with groups of other CMs. I suppose they see CM group as a bit of a female haven in a largely male-dominated world. But even NCMA events can be very female-orientated (though Mrs Bunyip never minds relieving me of all the cosmetics and waxing strips in my free goody-bags after regional forum.) It's hardest when I get/overhear negative comments from other EY 'professionals'. Especially the ones on my pre-reg course who came very close to putting me off the whole idea before I'd even got started. But then, I guess it's no worse than women had to put up with 20 years ago if they wanted to be doctors, etc.

4. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.... that's an hour gone and I'm still the only one.

Rolls eyes, twiddles thumbs, hums gently to self.

....lonely here....

6. Likes migimoo, miss mopple, silvermist liked this post
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh mate, sorry I've been out all day and then sorting out my accreditation paperwork.
    I think we do bring a different angle to childminding and (touch wood) I haven't had any issues so far. I did get a lovely make up and waxing strip gift at an NCMA meeting one evening though.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Bob;1183756]Ahhh mate, sorry I've been out all day and then sorting out my accreditation paperwork.
    I think we do bring a different angle to childminding and (touch wood) I haven't had any issues so far. I did get a lovely make up and waxing strip gift at an NCMA meeting one evening though.[/QUOTE]

You'll be the one with the ultra-smooth legs then?

I won a pink fluffy hot water bottle in the regional forum raffle. The secretary offered to swap it but I clung on: it was already snowing outside.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=bunyip;1183762]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Ahhh mate, sorry I've been out all day and then sorting out my accreditation paperwork.
    I think we do bring a different angle to childminding and (touch wood) I haven't had any issues so far. I did get a lovely make up and waxing strip gift at an NCMA meeting one evening though.[/QUOTE]

I won a pink fluffy hot water bottle in the regional forum raffle. The secretary offered to swap it but I clung on: it was already snowing outside.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo you have just shattered my image of citizen bunyip he wasnt holding a pink fluffy waterbottle but a placard leading the revolution
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes mum24, silvermist, jane5 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Childcare workers of the world unite - you have nothing to lose but your pink fluffy hotties !!!

(I said I was a revolutionary - I never claimed to be a macho one.)

12. Likes FussyElmo, cathtee, silvermist liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Come the Revolution, I'll be the one in the Kath Kidston camouflage jacket.

14. Likes silvermist, jane5, little chickee liked this post
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the wax strips worked lovely on my leg. Didn't have enough to do both so the other one is still a bit hairy and I'm NEVER doing my bikini line again.

16. Likes bunyip, silvermist liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My partner works part time with me - he loves being a male role model and a lot of the parents really like the fact that there is a bloke here especially in the holidays as he does adventurous things that I probably wouldn't ...

He is a nightmare to risk assess though

I think there are more male partner minders than males who work alone ...

18. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the wax strips worked lovely on my leg. Didn't have enough to do both so the other one is still a bit hairy and I'm NEVER doing my bikini line again.
    ooooo Bob in a bikini
    Cath

20. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a male working with me the parents love it, but we have been told they wouldnt have chosen a man working on his own though. They liked the male role model but only with a female around!

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    ooooo Bob in a bikini
    Ha Ha that proves you've never met me

I work with my wife as well but I don't think I would have as many kids to look after if I worked on my own.

The fact that I have a female working with me seems to put their minds at ease. The Dad's seem to find it the most surprising when they find out that I am a childminder as well.

23. Likes cathtee, silvermist liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Your replies to this have really made me smile! (just what I needed tonight )

I can sort of see why some parents might be surprised to find out the cm is male when they enquire about vacancies as like youve said it is predominantly a female thing. I also feel its important for children to have a male role model with so many parents getting divorced these days.

I also find it interesting that most men leave the 'finding childcare' job down to Mum. None of my mindees parents have come to visit me initially with their partner, they all say 'if im happy hubby will be too'. xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I know of 1 "solo" male cm in our area and 2 who work full time with their wives, then another 3 or 4 who are registered assistants (including my DH). He enjoys helping but says he couldnt do it all the time or on his own, like I didnt already know that!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Come the Revolution, I'll be the one in the Kath Kidston camouflage jacket.
    Now thats a revolution I would join. Now to tell dh we need Cath kidson stuff everywhere to prepare for the revolution
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    I have a male working with me the parents love it, but we have been told they wouldnt have chosen a man working on his own though. They liked the male role model but only with a female around!
    That seems to be a fact of CMing life, but still a shame. I'm sure both you and he are each very capable in your own right, and each bring something special to the job.

What if I only agreed to get on a bus with a woman driver if there was also a man there to make sure she did it right? Well, I'd rightly be called prejudiced.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bunyip;1183762]

You wouldn't get a pink fluffy hot water bottle at our regional forum as we have a male NPF! (my hubby) unfortuantely he is no longer a member of this forum, but a very proactive male CM

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    Just out of curiosity how many male childminders are on this forum. I was talking to a friend who is looking specifically for a male childminder as her child doesnt have a male role model and isnt used to being around men etc. I think this is a really good idea, especially as there are alot of male teachers at the schools where her child will go eventually, but we cant find any male childminders round our way so it just got me thinking, how many of you are males and what would you think if a parent wanted you to be a role model? x
    Hi Silvermist,

I am a male childminder from Bath. I have heard a lot of people say that very thing to me, that I should appeal to single mums or parents that want a male role model in their life. Unfortunately, no one has put that to the test yet. I am childminding for my wife's friend's two children, but have yet to receive a single call from other prospective parents (who don't know me) and it is slightly worrying. I am overjoyed that I have finally started working though. I believe I have done a good job and the mum has asked for more days because of this (LO wasn't doing too well at nursery but appears to be doing really well here). I do feel more relaxed now that I have started and hopefully I will get more work as I really enjoy this job (hardly even feels like a job sometimes!)

If someone wanted me to be a role model in LOs life I would be honoured and would do the best I could to fulfil that role.

Your friend doesn't live in Bath by any chance

30. Likes silvermist, mum24 liked this post
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rick, do you take the kids to any groups? I've found all the ladies (Mums and Minders) very welcoming and friendly. They're always positive about a bloke looking after children and it would get your name better known in your area as a cool childminder.

32. Likes mum24 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast