Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SHIN- SPLINTS ANYONE!!!

I have just returned from the doctors,as I have had a terrible cough for a while now and he confirmed I now have a chest infection.

I also wanted to talk to him about the excrutiating pain Ive been getting down my shin when Ive been walking for more than half an hour. I literally have to stop walking and sit down until it passes. He told me I have shin-splints!!

Now I thought that was something footballers got and I assurred him that Im definately no David Beckam wannabe so why do I have them. Apparrently Ive somehow pulled all the muscles around my shin and it may take a while to get better, he's prescribed some gel to apply but said it is highly likely that I will need physio too.

Have any of you had or know of anyone who has had shin-splints? Its so painful!!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your chest infection clears up soon,I've had one for weeks and can't shake it off,it's horrible so hope you feel better soon

Shin splints no sorry cant help .... It sounds painful though

Hugs

Angel xxx

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Angel, its very painful

4. Likes angeldelight liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently started jogging (only a very little bit) and I got pain in my shins. I have invested in some good quality training shoes with proper arch support because that is the cause for me. You might need to get some decent foot wear, you have to go to a good sport store where they can advise you about your style of movement and if it's likely to aggravating your shins - the bigger chain stores tend not to offer advise - a local one is better. Hope you get it sorted and feel better soon.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the tips, I wear either Clarkes or Ecco shoes and do have proper walking boots and a pair of easy tone trainers, a few years ago I had a problem with my foot and had some insoles made by the hospital Bio-mechanics.Im sure I'll get referred back to them but Im just wondering how long the healing process may take.

Pipsqueak Guest

RICE - and alternate heat and ice

many atheletes and dancers are at risk of shin-splints and those who do a lot of walking

good high quality footwear
    look at the way you are walking
    once you have sufficiently rested the offending 'areas' you can do strengthening exercises to reinforce, ballet and tap are great strengtheners

8. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is info here

Everything You Need to Know About Shin Splints | Injury/Pain | Core Knowledge | Core Performance

If you google it a lot of information comes up

Angel xx

10. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for that Angel and Pip. Ive just been reading and I did do ballet, tap and modern dancinging til I was 15, cross country running and recently started power walking and Zumba so that explains alot. I will rest it and do as advised. Thanks again xxx

12. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    jun10
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch you have my sympathy,I used to get shin splints when I went running.I did some stretches before I ran and wore running shoes!not my trainers.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

A guy at my gym has this and has had a physio and worked with the gym instructor to strengthen the muscles in his legs. He was in agony for a while but with all the help and strengthening he is on the mend.
    Hope your feeling better soon

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Power walking does seem to hurt your shins more than anything else. I always used to bet a pain when doing that type of walking. Hope you get better soon with your chest and shins. Don't want you falling apart now!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

16. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing this is what I get - absolute agony. Usually when walking a lot or fast walking to catch buses etc.

I need to lose weight and hope this will help too
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

18. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Power walking does seem to hurt your shins more than anything else. I always used to bet a pain when doing that type of walking. Hope you get better soon with your chest and shins. Don't want you falling apart now!
    I did laugh and said similar to the doctor. x

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    I am guessing this is what I get - absolute agony. Usually when walking a lot or fast walking to catch buses etc.

I need to lose weight and hope this will help too
    Yep I do too Pip, Maybe thats what Ill start my blog about, what do you think? x

Oct 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    I have just returned from the doctors,as I have had a terrible cough for a while now and he confirmed I now have a chest infection.

I also wanted to talk to him about the excrutiating pain Ive been getting down my shin when Ive been walking for more than half an hour. I literally have to stop walking and sit down until it passes. He told me I have shin-splints!!

Now I thought that was something footballers got and I assurred him that Im definately no David Beckam wannabe so why do I have them. Apparrently Ive somehow pulled all the muscles around my shin and it may take a while to get better, he's prescribed some gel to apply but said it is highly likely that I will need physio too.

Have any of you had or know of anyone who has had shin-splints? Its so painful!!
    My friends laugh at me when I said I suffered with the same thing. I joined a gym as I could do with loosing a stone or 4!!! After a good old jog on the running machine and other terrible exercise machines i called it a night. OMG the next day, wow the pain. I could hardly walk, it felt like i'd bruised both my shins. This went on for about a week. In a nutshell I can't run at all or walk fast as the pain will be unbearable. :-) Jennyb