Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you prefer TV on stand or on the wall

We are thinking about putting our television on the wall, what do you prefer? Do you find it too high or have you placed it at the same level as the cabinet but on the wall? Can everyone see it OK. If you have it on the wall would you have preferred to have left it on a cabinet. All view welcome!

thank you!
    Clorogue

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't have a tv on the wall in the living room as l find people that do have them quite high and you have to look up to watch, l think a tv should be at eye level when sitting so you look straight at the screen. In the bedroom it wouldn't have to be so high as there is little chance of it being knocked.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have mine on the wall, but the walls here are naff so not going to risk it. If we were to wall mount it though, we'd need to get a bracket that could tilt and swivel, cos I prefer to sit on the floor, and hubby prefers to sit on the sofa, and the kids sit on the sofa at the other side of the room so we are always tilting and swelling it around depending on who is watching. Although technically it makes no difference really since pretty much all tv's are flat screen these days.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

We have ours on the wall but its due to the layout of the living room. No room for a stand. We have to look up a little but the other benefit is that the kids can't get their mucky hands all over it either
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

After one of my mindee's drew on my last telly with a crayon we have the new one on the wall. Its quite high up the wall so the little ones can't reach it and have found it easy to view from most places in the living room.

I also like the fact that the tv unit is now free to put books on for the kids to read and the children like to use it to play with the toys as its quite a long unit.
    Knowledge is power and its also tax free

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I want mine on the wall but dh refuses as he says I move the tv, furniture round too often
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ours in a lovely Laura Ashley TV cabinet. I think TV's are ugly things and I love being able to shut the thing away when not watching it.
    Toothfairy

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Mines on the wal fairly low down with a cabinet in don't of it for DVD, ps3 etc, it means chikdren can't reach the tv.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is on the wall and we love it. Never looked back. It has given us so much space and looks so neat. Just checked how high it is - the bottom of the TV is level with my boobs - sorry for the non-standard units of measurement! (I'm average height and wearing a good bra, so boobs not too near the floor today!)

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

mines on a stand because of the layout of the lounge and it would be too high, but in the bedroom it's on the wall at the botton of the bed so i can lie down and still watch it ( but it is our old tv and 42" so can't miss it)
    Cath

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is on the wall at eye level

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mines on the wall above our fireplace. I love it there. My daughter has no option to sit too close to the screen, it makes the room bigger and just looks neater.

To start with it felt too high but now im used to it and quite like it. The only time its on is night anyway so I like to lie on the sofa looking up at it

BucksCM Guest

Ours in on the wall surrounded by custom built shelving for all dh's blurays and dvds...he LOVES his films!!!
    It Is just at the right height for optimal viewing!!

We did it because that's how we wanted it not because of children touching it or anything...if they touch it, they're out! (says so in my tv policy!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tv

We was told not to put it above a fire if you use the fire. As it can blow something in side I know someone it has happened 4 times and couldn't understand what was happening to the tv. Plus not covered by guarantee

Post Thanks / Like

Ours is on the wall above where the fireplace would be if it wasn't now full of the sky box, wii etc. I don't mind it on the wall, but hate the fact I can't have a fire now (not that we had one anyway, but the option was always there) DS4 put the log fire effect on for me over christmas which was on SKY, but not quite the same!!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

at our old house it was on the wall and i loved it.

its currently on a unit, but quite high so LO can't reach it! when we (finally) get round to decorating/deciding what we are doing! in the sitting room, i think it will go on the wall again.

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful replies. The lovely new tv is such a special treat for us - just want to get it right and the childminding children have bee told how special it is too!!
    Clorogue

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mines on the wall, with a floating shelve under it, with the xbox and sky on it.

I love it as it frees up loads of room, and theres no wires on show anywhere.
    Its not to high up either so its not a strain x